The New Boys

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

circlec

Reaction score
Well, I finally got some photos of the boys. You'll have to excuse the mud.... it's been raining here since Sun. I got them as clean as I could.

While you're checking out the pics, fill me in on some confo thoughts and/or opinions. I'd also like some other opinions on getting some weight off Shade.

Thanks!!!

Chance:

chance5.jpg

chance4.jpg

chance3.jpg

chance2.jpg

chance1.jpg

Shade:

shade25.jpg

shade24.jpg

shade23.jpg

shade22.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I love doing conformation critiques and can tell you're very excited... but no pictures came up?

Andrea

I don't see any sign of pictures either.

I can see them now! :aktion033: Congrats on your two new boys! What are your plans for them? Neither one is what I would consider a halter horse, but we all know there are so many other things to do with minis.
default_smile.png
They both have shoulders that are too straight, and hips that are a little short. Chance appears to be a little over at the knee and his neck ties in very low. They both are nice and colorful. I hope you have many enjoyable hours ahead with them.
default_yes.gif
:

Okay the pictures finally came up.

Are they related? They both have some severe conformation faults and they are the same in both horses.

The most glaring thing is that they are VERY post legged in back, the hip is very weak, they are very straight in the stifle, and there is no angulation to the legs.

They both also have a weird butt-high thing going on with their toplines. I think the butt-high is exaggerated by the hind post-legs. Chance has a longish back and Shade has a way short back, so it exaggerates it in different ways.

Chance has a better neck tie-in than Shade, but neither have very upright necks. Both are heavy-boned draft type minis (which as a draft horse person I find endearing!)

I agree Shade needs some SERIOUS SERIOUS dieting, and I would probably have a vet check his thyroid. The other horse is not in shape and is only a tad overweight.

Also, on your Forum signature you say that Chance is a "chestnut" pinto but he is actually a silver black. Silver black horses are some shade of charcoal with lighter manes and tails, so sometimes the silver horses are confused with chestnut or palomino, depending on how light the shades of grey they are.

They have very cute faces, good luck with them!

Andrea

Yeah dial up doesn't go as fast as we'd like it to :eek: Computers are great but never as great as we WANT them to be !

Andrea

Okay the pictures finally came up.

Are they related? They both have some severe conformation faults and they are similar in both horses.

The most glaring thing is that they are VERY post legged in back, the hip is very weak, they are very straight in the stifle, and there is no angulation to the legs.

They both also have a weird butt-high thing going on with their toplines. Chance has a longish back and Shade has a way short back, so it exaggerates it in different ways.

Chance has a better neck tie-in than Shade, but neither have very upright necks. Both are heavy-boned draft type minis (which as a draft horse person I find endearing!)

I agree Shade needs some SERIOUS SERIOUS dieting, and I would probably have a vet check his thyroid. The other horse is not in shape and is only a tad overweight.

Also, on your Forum signature you say that Chance is a "chestnut" pinto but he is actually a silver black. Silver black horses are some shade of charcoal with lighter manes and tails, so sometimes the silver horses are confused with chestnut or palomino, depending on how light the shades of grey they are.

They have very cute faces, good luck with them!

Andrea
Thanks for the info...and no, they're not related. They are however, both still stallions. Would that affect them weight wise?

Not sure why she kept them stallions..... but, I'm guessing that you do not think they're "breed worthy" because of the back end angle faults, correct? Or, in your opinion, could you correct this in a baby by selective breeding..... by this I mean picking mares who make up the stallions weaknesses and likewise? Or, just geld them and be done with it? Both move very nicely, are nicely marked and have great temperaments.

Personally I would ABSOLUTELY geld them. Their faults are much too severe to "fix" by breeding to a mare that is more correct. Usually, a "passable" fault in a stallion is something like a plain head, a slightly long back, or something that doesn't affect the overall balance, movement, and soundness of the animal.

I think their being stallions does affect their obesity a little bit, some stallions that get more worked up will pace the fencelines and keep them in condition but a lot of times stallions are just plain lazy.

Secondary sex characteristics also include a thick neck, so that probably adds to that.

I think they are cute, but not as stallions. Stallions need to completely take your breath away, but even GOOD stallions make better geldings. Most people are much more forgiving for a conformation fault in a mare but never a stallion.

Andrea

I just wanted to edit to add, since you are fairly new to the forum and I don't want to make you feel attacked or unwelcome in ANY sense:

Everyone has their own taste in horses, quality, and breeding potential. I am quite sure many people would feel my own stallions should be gelded and never bred. Everyone should strive to purchase the best stallion they can, and breed the best, highest quality horses they are able. Most people invest a LOT of money in their breeding stallions even if it's not a horse another person would choose to ever want in their barn.

To each their own.

However I do want to applaud you for sharing your horses with us and allowing us to help you evaluate them. Do so with an open mind, and take or leave our advice. It is important for every person to know their horses' strengths and weaknesses, to allow us to purchase or breed better animals in the future. Even breeders who own National Grand Champion stallions dream of breeding/ owning a horse even BETTER than that one. This desire to strive for perfection is what fuels most of our passions.

Andrea

Although it is true no horse is perfect, and you should always try to balance out a stallion's faults in the mares you cross him to and vice versa, these boys have some pretty severe faults and I would recommend gelding them and enjoying them as geldings.

Personally I would ABSOLUTELY geld them. Their faults are much too severe to "fix" by breeding to a mare that is more correct. Usually, a "passable" fault in a stallion is something like a plain head, a slightly long back, or something that doesn't affect the overall balance, movement, and soundness of the animal.

I think their being stallions does affect their obesity a little bit, some stallions that get more worked up will pace the fencelines and keep them in condition but a lot of times stallions are just plain lazy.

Secondary sex characteristics also include a thick neck, so that probably adds to that.

I think they are cute, but not as stallions. Stallions need to completely take your breath away, but even GOOD stallions make better geldings. Most people are much more forgiving for a conformation fault in a mare but never a stallion.

Andrea
I'm on my way to having them gelded sometime soon, especially Shade b/c of his weight and because he can be a little *%&*$ around strange horses. Neither have ever bred a mare.

I can't complain about confo as they were given to me.... :aktion033:

Chance drives and he has the cutest little trot ever..... I'm going to get shade driving as well. Hopefully next summer I'll have a team!!!!! Oh what fun! Guess I wont bother in any halter classes LOL.... We have some fun local open horse shows, but I'm not gonna bother if you think their faults are that severe.

Might try some jumping too........ these danf minis are like potoato chips hehe

I'm not a person who can pick out the faults in your horses but I can say what I like about them; they both look strong and if they were mine, dreams of a hitch team would be going through my head. Well, they're not mine but I still am dreaming of them as a hitch team. These horses are almost built like mini draft horses. Is there such a thing as a mini draft horse?

I am not only barn blind, I am completly blind, I guess. I love all horses and (to me) most horses don't have to look perfect to be the perfect horse; I think you're lucky to have them.

If you think you could go out there in a halter class and have fun without winning, go ahead and do so! Showing should be about having fun and enjoying the time with your horse anyhow. Glad to hear you are going to be doing driving with them. I'm not sure how much conformation counts in a showmanship class as that is judged more on your abilities as a handler instead of on the horse's conformation. You could also consider training them for obstacle (both in-hand and driven), jumping, etc.

you have a couple of cute little dues there! a driving team would be awesome... they are pretty well matched. i have a pair that are almost identical, except one is a tiny mini and one is a large pony <sigh> so driving them together is just not going to work!

anyway congrats and have fun! (and i agree with the gelding, just because a gelding will make a much better pet than a stud, and if they are nice and sweet as stallions, they will be even better as geldings
default_wub.png
: )

I am the Champion of Fat Horses everywhere and even I think Shade could lose some weight!!

Now you will have to be very careful as he is LOADED and weight must come off very very slowly.

I would include very gentle exercise and very gentle loss of food!!

I would put him on a good, high roughage low calorie diet- plenty of clean rough hay- oat straw if you could get it- and a little good hay and NO grain- a good mineral supplement- I am sure you know what to do as I see you have other horses (PLEASE do not mix the Bigs and the Littles, BTW)

I think these horses, as geldings, are nice enough- I have seen far, FAR worse being exhibited here, proudly, as high price studs, so you have not done badly- Free is a price I really like!!

Welcome to the Forum, the way, I hope you stick around.

They look like very sweet boys and I love their colors. Are they your first minis? It is so exciting to get a new horse, let alone two!!! Congratulations and enjoy those handsome little guys!!!!

i just wanted to say that you have sweet looking boys. I can just SEE that draft team hitch with collars! I also wanted to add that just because a horse isn't built for halter, it doesn't mean they can't do showmanship, color classes, hunter, jumper, obstacle trail and of course those driving classes!! Congratulations and have FUN with your new boys!!!

-Amy

I am the Champion of Fat Horses everywhere and even I think Shade could lose some weight!!

Now you will have to be very careful as he is LOADED and weight must come off very very slowly.

I would include very gentle exercise and very gentle loss of food!!

I would put him on a good, high roughage low calorie diet- plenty of clean rough hay- oat straw if you could get it- and a little good hay and NO grain- a good mineral supplement- I am sure you know what to do as I see you have other horses (PLEASE do not mix the Bigs and the Littles, BTW)

I think these horses, as geldings, are nice enough- I have seen far, FAR worse being exhibited here, proudly, as high price studs, so you have not done badly- Free is a price I really like!!

Welcome to the Forum, the way, I hope you stick around.
Tanks for the info... what do you mean dont mix the bigs with the littles? As is don't put the big horses and the minis together? If that's what you meant, they are already together. I only have one 3yo at my place. the rest of my barrel horses are out on lease. My colt absolutly loves the boys!

No, it's not my first mini..... I had one before, but ended up selling him with a big horse I sold b/c they were so attached. The guy just loves him. He is a PA state trooper...anyways, thanks and keep the comments coming

Hey, welcome to the forum !! I think your little soon to be geldings would look awesome as a team with a couple collars...they'd almost look like the gypsy vanners when they are all shaggy. I dont show my horses...just have them to love and hug on and they too have lots of faults but if I wanted to show them....who cares if your just going in to have fun !! I say go have fun !!

I like to say I do have " show horses " ..... I show them a bucket of soapy water and shampoo...and they "show " me how fast they can roll !!

Yes, Rabbits meant dont put the minis out with big horses. They need a fence seperating them at least. It only takes one accident..... the big ones are just too big in comparison to the little guys and I have heard of some awful accidents and sometimes deaths. I sold a nice filly a few years ago, that did have her own pen, but the big horses could reach over. One did and broke her neck by reaching down and grabbing her, and they found her dead. She had been playing and being silly just a couple of hours before.

Latest posts

Back