The New Addition To Our Family. . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~katie~

Reaction score
We'll I have been looking for about the past 6 months looking for just the right weanling to purchase and now I have the perfect little boy . . .

I was at the fair last night and I noticed they had a miniature horse section and the sign said "Shadowood Miniature Horses For Sale" and they were all weanlings, 4 boys and 4 girls. One caught my eye - the bay colt that had an arrow on his butt. He looked at me and I knew I had found the right one. But I could tell he was very shy. LOOK - Beautiful teacup muzzle, big eyes, araby head, long arched neck, terrific topline, and long legs but like my luck runs you can't see it in the picture lol. Once I get him spruced up tomarrow I'll get ya the real deal look he has that can only be capture by one-on-one sight!
wub.gif
biggrin.gif

So I called Shadowood Miniatures and asked about him - he was priced at $1,000.00 firm. So I told him that I had just sold my horse Leo (he's going to an expert lady that wants to drive him) for $750.00 and can't afford higher than that and he said that he'd show me the other ones at the fair that were in that price range.

When I got there he had the little bay pinto with the arrow on his butt out waiting on me - he said that IF AND ONLY IF I would show him, love him, and take really good care of him he'd sell him to me for $700.00 firm - and I was sold then. My pretty little boy will be coming home tomarrow and I can't wait. Below is a picture and yes, he's already paid for and is mine.

This picture isnt the greatest but you get a good idea - the only pinto marking on him is that one arrow - and it's so neat. Sorry so long!
wub.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

DSCF0018.jpg

By the way, I am looking for a barn name for him!!! I was thinking something like "Arrowstone" or "Cherokee". . .I would like something original and yet has something to do with native american culture. Post names below! Thanks!

Congradulations!!
aktion033.gif
I like his coloring and can't wait to see better picture's of him!
yes.gif
Do you have other mini's too?

wub.gif
I would have had to buy him too! How bout "TRAILFEATHER"S FLIGHT OF THE ARROW" or TRAILFEATHERS STRIGHT AS AN ARROW" Can't wait to see him tomorrow! Maxine

Oh yeah. . .I forgot to add this note. . .

**He will be AMHA AND AMHR registered!!! Yippee! He's supposed to max out at 31.5" tall at mature height (sire almost 28", dam about 35") so I am going to have LOTS of fun with my guy!
wub.gif
Plus he has some Dell Terra, Hobby Horse, and more good bloodlines hee hee!**

LUVMYCRITTERS: I sold my first miniature to a lady that was more experienced than me because he has been quite a handful so I only have 1 miniature as of now but I plan on more after college (6 years from now) lol!

-Katie-

I was told once that "Dakota" meant little friend in some native american language. Im not sure though, but if its true it would be a cute name.

Looks very nice. Good luck with the name. The only one that came to mind was "Arrow".

Joyce

Hard to think of names for other people..but he sure looks like a really nice little colt..

Best Wishes for Many Happy Times with him!!!
yes.gif

~katie~ said:
Oh yeah. . .I forgot to add this note. . .
**He will be AMHA AND AMHR registered!!! Yippee! He's supposed to max out at 31.5" tall at mature height (sire almost 28", dam about 35") so I am going to have LOTS of fun with my guy! 
wub.gif
Plus he has some Dell Terra, Hobby Horse, and more good bloodlines hee hee!**

-Katie-

485185[/snapback]

OK, I'm a little confused here. If his dam is 35" he cannot legally be registered AMHA unless he is hardshipped at age 5.

Not Native American, but I came up with "Cupid's Mark"

Yeah, I plan on having him hardshipped as I want him to be registered in that registry . . . simply because I can lol.
biggrin.gif
Always wanted a A/R pinto gelding and now I do!

I plan on having him gelded as soon has his "friends" drop down lol. If any of y'all know of something like this - would a pygmy goat make a good companion for him if I can't get him a small miniature? I have two large horses and he will be able to interact with them through the run-in sheds and they can touch, etc.

Anyone like the name Dreamcatcher or Dreamweaver or Calypso??

Congrats on your new little guy! I'm terrible w/names - I'll leave that for everyone else.

As far as a pygmy goat as a pasture mate - my experience....I have 2 minis, got a rescue pygmy and was planning on putting him in with the minis so he wouldn't be alone....didn't work out at all! I have read many times that goats make excellent companions for horses, but this was not my experience....my minis are young - 2 1/2, both geldings...they teased this goat beyond imagination (this goat was kept with horses before and had no problem w/horses) and of course the goat would try to butt them just in defense...I ended up making new pasture for goat and getting another goat to keep the first company. I suppose it can work, but didn't for me....I think most animals do best if they are kept with their own kind. If you can't get another mini - you could try a pygmy (no horns), (maybe since you only have 1 mini they'd get along OK)but another mini for your new guy would be best...good luck and congrats!

Now I know some people keep their minis with their full-sizers...but this could be dangerous and only works for some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back