The LP (Appaloosa) color gene...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I am just wondering if the LP gene in appys is present for ANY of the patterns...leopard, blanket, varnish, few spot, snowcap and any combination of these, or is it just a "leopard" gene? I am thinking that a horse carrying ANY pattern or combination of any, will test positive for LP but just want to make sure. So even a very minimally roaned and/or mottled varnish would test + for LP?

LP turns the appaloosa pattern "on". It is the light switch for the light bulb. PATN are the spotting genes and PATN-1 is needed for a leopard or few spot. LP characteristics are: mottling, sclera, striped hooves, varnishing, and snowflaking. If your horse has any of those without spots (once mature) then there is no PATNpresent. So all appaloosa horses have at least one LP, but not all have PATNs. I know, i'm long winded!

Yes
default_smile.png

Yes,- it's the characteristics, not the coat pattern.

Even though it is called the LP gene, it does not mean it carries a leopard gene. That name is kind of a misnomer, but it does do what the others have posted. Without it, you can't have any Appaloosa patterns.

Back