The "Just" horses...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMenagerie

Reaction score
I'm curious about the "Just" horses; were bred by Marguerite Coxe. Can anyone tell me a little about that line? What they were known for, what their conformation was like (If they had a particular build to their line), how they're viewed as far as quality, etc. I'm doing some research and am interested in finding out what I can about that line. If you have pics, they would be great, too. Thanks!

Oh, I am a HUGE fan of the Just bloodlines - I have such a soft spot for them!!! I have owned several Just horses and currently have one named Amazing Grace, daughter of my Silver Mist who was of the Just bloodlines (Just Brandy). Here are some of the Just horses I had/have (all related).

And here is a link to Joanne Seabloom's website which is a great Just reference:

http://seabloom.freeyellow.com/justreference.html

Liz R.

TheDuo8-05.jpg

mistydap.jpg

Krystle.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Laci's dam is "Just Sugar", and I love Laci. She's so a mellow and compliant girl and so pretty, too. I'm sure some of that's from her sire, but her dam must be nice, too! I wish I had a pic of her.

I have a mare. Ben's Princess Lilly. A powerful horse in a little package. Under 32" but a powerful cart horse.

Has a great hip and has produced three wonderful babies. She is Just bred on both sides.

She always reminded me of a proud English style horse.

This is her before the babies:

carting6-1-02.jpg

Ive owned a Just bred horse and I loved his disposition and spirit. His dam was Shetland bred, so he has that going for him as well, but I did have a Just look to him. I saw his grand-sire once and he looked almost exactly the same conformationally.

I love the Just bred horses...

(sorry that didnt really help you with your questions, but....)

Marguerite Coxe was the first miniature horse breeder in Oregon, based in Oregon City - suburb town of Portland. She passed away a few years ago. Her horses were known for being good medium boned balance and on the smallish side in height.

There is a cute story about how she got the "Just" name, but not sure if it's true. Anyway, when AMHA was being formed she sent in paperwork on her horses with the names she called them by. AMHA told her she needed a farm prefix. She answered with, "But I don't have a prefix. They all go by JUST their names!"....and that's how she was supposed to have come up with her prefix!

MA

Miniv, thank you for posting the little history lesson & thank you everybody else for the info on the temperments & how much you like the line. The pics were great, too :aktion033:

I did have to add that I think Laci's going to be a nice cart horse. She's about 31" I think, but she does have some lovely movement. Yay blurry pics!

laci8.jpg

She's cute!! :bgrin :bgrin And looks to have pretty snappy movement, too; should be nice in cart.
default_smile.png

My "Just" horses go through my mare, Cherry Bomb, whose sire was quite heavily "Just" breeding on the sire side, though some on the dam side, too. Just Darby, Just Brandy are some of the names that are in her background through him. To me, Cherry is fairly typical of the Just bred horses, though there was a wide range of types within the farm name.

cherrypose.jpg

As a yearling.

mousel06.jpg

Her son, now a four-year old gelding.

pyrolb.jpg

Another of her sons, a weanling gelding.

They can be very solid producing horses if you find the right cross. I know my friend Kim had a "Just" mare that is so gorgeous...both her and my "Just" horses had pretty, large, liquid eyes, though I've seen a lot of horses through some of the Bond lines that had those same, huge eyes.

Hard to say as each horse within a farm name can vary so much in type and quality, but there are some very nice examples within that farm name.
default_smile.png

I have quite a few historical pics of the Just horses that I scanned from old mini magazines if you are interested, email me at [email protected]

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back