The Hummingbirds are here!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sterling

Reaction score
ANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_crybaby.gif
: So how do I get rid of them????? Is there something I can use environmentally friendly to diissuade them from climbing up and swimming in the feeder??? Grose! But the Hummingbirds are coming around which I'm excited about.....just the ants need to go!! Any tips will be helpful......

Ants hate mint, so maybe some mint oil around the tracks where they are a nuisance. I've always attributed our lack of ants to the field mint I let go wild around the house. Also, boiling water poured on the hills will get 'em.

Sterling

I had the same trouble last year and I used Wesson Oil. My hanger has a plastic/wire hanger from the top of my feeder and I just put Wesson Oil on the hanger and that stopped my problem. Try rubbing a small amount of Wesson Oil where they are getting to the feeder from and see if that helps.

That was one of the tips that came with my feeder and it has worked like a charm for me...... hope it does for you too.

Judy

Last edited by a moderator:
Our hummers are back here too!! :aktion033: Love those little beings!

We too had ant problems when we had the feeders on posts out in the garden. Our feeders now hang on the eaves right outside my front windows. No ants now. And the cool thing about this.....I can sit here on the sofa and watch them as they come eat. They will fly right down and look in the window right at me!! No more then 1 foot away!! Love it!! :aktion033:

Cinnamon...honestly it works! Living in a lg cabin...we get anys...carpenter ants... we sprinkle cinnamon around the house, course I buy it in bulk, you'd only need a bit.

Cinnamon...honestly it works! Living in a lg cabin...we get anys...carpenter ants... we sprinkle cinnamon around the house, course I buy it in bulk, you'd only need a bit.

Cinnamon???? Why? Why don't ants like cinnamon?

MA

I have NO IDEA! :lol: But doggone it it works, seems like some years ago I got a list from someone of common helful tips and ants have always been a problem for us and I know we use dryer sheets and cinnamon! Honest! :eek:
default_wink.png
:

I also use vaseline around the top of the hanger part. Keeps them off of the feeder.

Now how can we keep the bees from the feeders?

Well these sure are some very good ideas I will have to put into good use!
default_yes.gif
: I did'nt think of these...what I thought of was put like a two sided tape so they'd get stuck climbing the rod iron post I have it on...but I'm gonna try some of these ideas first. I'm happy to say that I was sitting outside and the little Ruby throated hummingbird came by a few times. We also have one that's not too fancy...he looks pretty drab in color...like a dark gray all the way around, and bigger than the ruby throated. It's sooo cool to watch them...I'm glad I started feeding them.

Oh question.....I saw on Animal Planet in Backyard Habitat where they did up a hummingbid feeder and they gave the recipe...they just mixed sugar with regular tap water. I was under the impression you had to boil the water first...they did'nt mention anything about boiling the water.

Denise....I have no idea how to keep bees away...I would think it'd be pretty hard tho seeing how bees and hummingbirds go after nectar...but then again this is my first year feeding them so maybe someone has a solution. :bgrin :aktion033:

Sterling- The drab hummer you saw was most likely a female ruby throat. I believe that they are the only hummers we have here on the east coast.

We do not use the nectar mixes that you buy. Just tap water and sugar. You have to use pretty hot tap water so that the sugar melts. Maybe that is why it was mentioned to boil the water.??

The mix we use is 2 parts water to 1 part sugar. You just have to be really careful to make sure the sugar is all dissolved. Our hummers love it and have been coming back for it for many years now.

Sharon well that surely DOES make sense! That "drab" looking hummingbird was bigger than the others....so I take it that the females are bigger and not as fancy. Today we also saw them getting in what we thought was a little tift....as I've read they can be territorial we thought it was just 2 of 'em fighting for territory...but may have been a love quarrel!?! :lol:

I'll try the hot tap water next time then. I have a sugar addict hummingbird. Goodness this morning that tiny little ruby throated could'nt get enough of the nectar. Was funny!! Then he's flit by the pond for water and then goes back to the nectar.

Oh and btw....Webbmini.....that oil on the hanger thing so far is working for the ants!!! :aktion033:

Thanks again all...for your suggestions and sharing your info. I love learning about these little guys...they're so fascinating!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back