The forum timer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle@wescofarms

Reaction score
Do we really need the time constraint on posting/responding? I'm finding it very frustrating and makes me want to log off. I know it was in place and had it's purpose a few years ago, but right now, the traffic doesn't seem to be an issue.

[#103128] The administrator has limited the number of new posts you can submit within a short time frame. Please wait 60 seconds before replying or posting a new topic.

Today's fast-paced life and trying to keep up on Forums and all the other Social Media out there - waiting a minute can seem like an eternity.

Please consider removing or reducing it.

Do we really need the time constraint on posting/responding? I'm finding it very frustrating and makes me want to log off. I know it was in place and had it's purpose a few years ago, but right now, the traffic doesn't seem to be an issue.

[#103128] The administrator has limited the number of new posts you can submit within a short time frame. Please wait 60 seconds before replying or posting a new topic.

Today's fast-paced life and trying to keep up on Forums and all the other Social Media out there - waiting a minute can seem like an eternity.

Please consider removing or reducing it.
I don't have a problem with it myself. By the time I make post and read the next one, a good 60 seconds have passed.

I believe the purpose is to prevent automated responses from being made (not sure of the technical term for it, but when a program makes responses automatically and possibly hundreds at once) rather than prevent actual people from responding.

It also helps me when I hit the wrong button to reply again instead of returning to the list of topics on the Forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do find it annoying. I read and can respond fairly fast, what is really irritating is I switch forums from miniature to pony and often the pony needs just a quick response and I can't do it because of the timer.

I get annoyed by it from time to time! I am a fairly fast "surfer" so I go through the topics at a decent speed and am able to reply to different topics fast too. With the time limit, it does hamper that and for a person with a fast pace it's not to great! LOL Also the only other time it bothers me is when I am posting pics. I may have to many for a post and have to make another one to add more. I like to try to reply to my own thread fast, in hopes that I can finish me picture posts before someone else replys, so there isn't any reply's between my pic posts!

Other then that, it's not a problem!
laugh.gif

I find we might just need something like FB has just a like button

might help.. less people posting and repeating the same topic.

Not sure if this would help.

it bothers me is when I am posting pics. I may have to many for a post and have to make another one to add more. I like to try to reply to my own thread fast, in hopes that I can finish me picture posts before someone else replys, so there isn't any reply's between my pic posts!

laugh.gif

Exactly ......

I'll survive if it stays, but I admit on a day when I just want to look at some cute pictures and say "Cute pictures" getting that message makes me all...59,58,57, :arg! 56,55,54,:arg! 53,52,51,
default_impatient.jpg
default_crybaby.gif
default_giveup.gif

I get annoyed by it from time to time! I am a fairly fast "surfer" so I go through the topics at a decent speed and am able to reply to different topics fast too. With the time limit, it does hamper that and for a person with a fast pace it's not to great! LOL Also the only other time it bothers me is when I am posting pics. I may have to many for a post and have to make another one to add more. I like to try to reply to my own thread fast, in hopes that I can finish me picture posts before someone else replys, so there isn't any reply's between my pic posts!

laugh.gif

Exactly ......

I Know!

I'll survive if it stays, but I admit on a day when I just want to look at some cute pictures and say "Cute pictures" getting that message makes me all...59,58,57,
closedeyes.gif
closedeyes.gif
default_impatient.jpg
default_crybaby.gif
default_giveup.gif

I have really done this before. LOL

I LIKE the idea of a "like" button!

I find the endless me-too replies rather annoying, although I completely understand people wanting to express their agreement. I don't know if it is possible, but it would be a win-win solution.

The wait after posting doesn't really bother me.

Hey Mary Lou

There is a "like" button now that you can implement under "hooks" But I am not sure what version you are using?

There is also a new hook so you can preview a topic without clicking on it. Love that one!

As a mod it's really hard to make everyone happy. I set up a forum once and could not believe the amount of spam membership applications, spam posts, etc. that you get in a day!
default_new_shocked.gif
I'm talking thousands. My respect for Mary Lou shot up when I realized some of what she has to deal with.

I think perhaps a reduction in the limit might be nice, but I believe it's a necessary anti-spam measure and honestly, it would do some people good to spend a little longer re-reading before they respond!
default_laugh.png
Get a cup of coffee. Browse another thread on a separate tab of your browser. Check your email. It goes by fast.

Leia

Edited to add: Ooh, I love the preview feature!! Please add that!

Last edited by a moderator:
The preview thing is soooooo cool! You can also preview a persons profile too instead of having to click and change pages. You just hover your mouse and get the preview.

Mary Lou is the best, thanks for listening, and hope this does not cause any problems.

Lets see what she comes up with.
default_aktion033.gif

The 'wait 60 seconds' doesnt really bother me, but I totally cracked up out loud at RockRiverTiff's post.... LOL Too funny.

Latest posts

Back