The Flu, this might help, don't laugh

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
In 1919 when the flu killed 40 million people there was this Doctor that visited the many farmers to see if he could help them combat the flu. Many of the farmers and their family had contracted it and many died.

The doctor came upon this one farmer and to his surprise, everyone was very healthy. When the doctor asked what the farmer was doing that was different the wife replied that she had placed an unpeeled onion in a dish in the rooms of the home, (probably only two rooms back then). The doctor couldn't believe it and asked if he could have one of the onions and place it under the microscope. She gave him one and when he did this, he did find the flu virus in the onion. It obviously absorbed the bacteria, therefore, keeping the family healthy.

Now, I heard this story from my hairdresser in AZ. She said that several years ago many of her employees were coming down with the flu and so were many of her customers. The next year she placed several bowls with onions around in her shop. To her surprise, none of her staff got sick. It must work.. (And no, she is not in the onion business.)

The moral of the story is, buy some onions and place them in bowls around your home. If you work at a desk, place one or two in your office or under your desk or even on top somewhere. Try it and see what happens. We did it last year and we never got the flu.

If this helps you and your loved ones from getting sick, all the better. If you do get the flu, it just might be a mild case..

Whatever, what have you to lose? Just a few bucks on onions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this Marnie. First thing in the morning, I'm headed off to Wal-Mart for a bunch of onions.

My 14 year old daughter is sick right now with the flu and one of our employee's children has tested positive for H1N1.

This is getting scary.
default_unsure.png

Who would come visit a home with a bunch of stinky onions, especially if you have the flu and that smell could send you over the edge.

Just my warped view of this one. I guess it works as a visitor repellent.
default_wink.png

So does it help because it absorbs virus or because the smell keeps people away?!?
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I have UNPEELED onions sitting on my cupboard in a wicker basket ALL the time. They do not stink. Hey maybe that's why I never get the flu. (Knock on wood). Could be something to this. Thanks for the tip, Marnie. I'm just wondering though, can we then eat the onions? Because if this works we are then eating the virus. Right? Just a thought.
default_smile.png

Its on snopes, its an old wives tale that isnt true. Would be ok if you didnt leave the house, but then maybe you wouldnt be exposed. The flu virus while airborne when you breath, it settles on surfaces where you then come into contact with it.

Snopes might say it's an old wives tale, but many of those have been scientifically proven to be correct or at least helpful. The first one that comes to mind is chicken soup. It was dismissed by many as simply an old wives tale, but a great deal of money spent on "studies" proved that there is in fact something in it that helps a person get well soon. Unpeeled onions don't even smell, so what is there to lose by trying this? Nothing! I also think there may be an element of positive thinking in this, too. (If you THINK you won't get sick, you probably won't....... and vice versa.)

Marnie, thanks for sharing this information!

I did read what it said on Snopes too but it's been around for hundreds of yrs. I might be old fashioned but they can take there scientific studies and stick them. I do believe that a lot of the old wives tales are true, in fact, I know they are. If I had little kids in the house, I'd sure unpeel a couple onions in a big hurry, it can't hurt. JMO. Hey Bonnie, surprised to see you back, I hardly ever get here any more either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did read what it said on Snopes too but it's been around for hundreds of yrs. I might be old fashioned but they can take there scientific studies and stick them. I do believe that a lot of the old wives tales are true, in fact, I know they are. If I had little kids in the house, I'd sure unpeel a couple onions in a big hurry, it can't hurt. JMO.

I think you are right Marnie. Onion IS known as an anti viral and in fact IS one of the "thieves" in four thieves vinegar. What is four thieves you might ask?..... It's "street" name was and is Plague Buster and was purportedly used during the bubonic plague by a group of thieves to rob the dead of their valuables. It is said that the thieves would soak a kerchief is this mixture and then tie the kerchief tightly around their mouth and nose so that their breath had to go through this mixture. They never contracted the plague.

I have found Snopes to be less than acurite to put it mildly.

Bb

Latest posts

Back