The Evils or Organized Religions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle_E.

Reaction score
What is wrong with societies around the world. What is wrong with people who listen to religious leaders and say one thing but do something totally else. I am starting to really dislike "organized religion", I don't care which one it is, they are corrupt, each and everyone one of them and yet their followers will say "well my religion is the pure one, etc. etc. Makes me SICK!

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t3

I know some of you will say well it's the religion of Islam - muslims but you know what, there is that ridiculous woman in the southern U.S. who is just as radical. It is everywhere, religous organizations have been infiltrated by corruption, deceit, hatred, bigotry and yet their followers called themselves Christians??? Really???? Boggles the mind.

I certainly hope God comes back real soon because humanking is going to destroy each other with their wickedness.

This world is getting worse and worse by the day.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/25/prostests-planned-after-north-carolina-pastor-says-gays-should-be-put-in-concentration-camps/

http://hollywoodlife.com/2012/05/31/toddler-sings-anti-gay-song-church-video-hate-no-homos-heaven/

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/07/06/london-anti-gay-hate-preachers-to-speak-at-conference-this-weekend/

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=18408

http://www.inquisitr.com/284446/gay-nebraska-woman-mutilated-in-anti-gay-hate-crime/

and this wing nut who you have all heard about, the Phelps family. I hope this is the last time they are allowed in Canada, we don't need hate and bigotry preached here in my country. There is a limit to free speech when organized religion takes over peoples "sanity" or lack thereof.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2008/08/08/westboro-protest.html

http://www.salon.com/2012/07/31/church_denies_black_couple_salpart/singleton/

All in the name of religion, it is very sad to see what we have become and what religion has become. I don't believe God is very happy with this kind of behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in agreement.I was raised Methodist and made to go to Sunday scool and church while growing up.I am no longer a member of any church, but believe in a supreme being.I talk to him every day and give thanks for all my blessings and not just when I need something.I got so saddened by churches becoming big business and people walking up and telling me "I'm a Christian."To my way of thinking I would rather see what you are by your actions.I am also upset by those who believe that their choice of religion is RIGHT and everyone else is WRONG. Look how many wars were started and lives lost in the name of some religion.I try to live a good life and be kind to all living things, but I am not going to call myself a Christian since I don't believe that every word in the Bible is 100% accurate.It was written and translated by MAN and we all know how many mistakes most of us make daily.I wish all people would make a better effort to get along and live in peace with each other no matter what the beliefs are.

Yep, it is a crazy world we live in. The minister Tony Alamo has of course deservingly so been sentenced to 175 years in prison. His ministries (also known as a compound) is just a few minutes from here. He was a bad apple. It is sad that he ever was called a minister. It is a slap in the face to the greats like Billy Graham, J Vernon Mcgee, and Adrienne Rogers and so many others.

God will judge the bad ones for sure. Jesus will return. There will meanwhile be false teachers and false prophets and evil doers in all walks of life.

I agree with all of you.

I fail despite my efforts to be kind to everyone, often because of my frustration with those who claim to be Christian yet are in no way living their lives according to that of Jesus. I do not call myself a Christian, in part because I do not want to be linked in any way with the hypocrites amongst the many wonderful believers. While I consider myself a pantheist, I believe in the teachings of Jesus (though not necessarily those of his followers).

There are, of course, exceptions. I am a semiprofessional musician, and I used to play saxophone in a Christian big band. I did not share their mission in its entirety, but they were good, kind individuals and we shared the same morals. We joked about me being their "token heathen," and that many consider "Christian jazz" to be an oxymoron.

I eventually resigned because I felt it only right to give my chair to someone who shared their mission of Christian ministry through big band music. I made many wonderful lifelong friends and we parted on great terms. While they did not convert me (nor me them, lol), our focus was on what we shared rather than our differences. We met on the common grounds of performing great music.

I just edited my entire response because i went back and viewed the child singing that song. I am floored. I think his parents are completely vile and so are the heads of that church to allow such hate under its roof. How dare they allow this to happen! SICK!

The fringe element of anything is disturbing.

Personally, I am not and never have been an member of an organized religion, but I am really unimpressed by those who like to bash, mock or belittle those who are.

Well, i am unimpressed with all the gold and money that the Vatican and other large churches have, and wonder how they can justify that to God, while there are starving people out there. Just think of how much food could be bought with all that gold to feed the starving!!!!!! IF they want to talk the talk, then they should walk the walk. I mean aint that what Christ and all those other prophets taught??? Help those in need, Be good to others, treat others how you want to be treated, Dont lie cheat or steal. Dont be jealous of what other people have. Dont take advantage or molest children (I am not pointing out the Catholic Chruch) Basically be a good person.

I eventually resigned because I felt it only right to give my chair to someone who shared their mission of Christian ministry through big band music. I made many wonderful lifelong friends and we parted on great terms. While they did not convert me (nor me them, lol), our focus was on what we shared rather than our differences. We met on the common grounds of performing great music.
Wish i could have heard your band Susanne, , People with differences can come together to make something beautiful.

What is wrong with people who listen to religious leaders and say one thing but do something totally else. I am starting to really dislike "organized religion", I don't care which one it is, they are corrupt, each and everyone one of them and yet their followers will say "well my religion is the pure one, etc. etc. Makes me SICK!

All in the name of religion, it is very sad to see what we have become and what religion has become.
Because it's big business Danielle. It's that simple. Some of these churches are huge money makers. Pastors are living pretty good lives of the backs of others and all they have to do is keep the act going. I have one who is a friend of mine. He lives in a half million dollar house in a gated community. Owns 2 new Suburbans, a pickup, RV, boat, snowmobiles, sits on the finest grain leather furniture etc etc. I asked him once how he lives entirely opposite to the figure he claims to emulate...who (supposedly) preached poverty and humbleness - his reply was "God wants us to be happy!" Being "happy" while thousands of children die everyday of starvation is a little far removed from Christianity was originally intended to be. I can't hang out with him or his wife too much these days because it literally makes me sick how hypocritical they are. Imagine the world if every church in America closed it's doors and told their flock to give their donations to those that need it, not to support a fat pastor and rich church. Now that would be Christianity at work!

What you're hearing from your churches pastor is miles apart from what you'll hear from a true biblical scholar because their income isn't based on their "flock". To hear that you need to go to a biblical scholar. Someone who's income isn't based on continuing the same sermons. You'd be hard pressed to find a biblical scholar who hasn't conceded that the entire book of Genesis is just to be read as an interesting story taken from earlier (mostly Sumarian) myths. Because most people don't do their own research they are accepting of what they are being told. Because they don't stand up and say "hey, wait a minute..." then when their pastor say homosexuality is a sin (as one example) that's how they feel they must also be because their pastor would be telling them something untrue. Yet they are told to discriminate and don't question it.

Similarities with Sumerian myths

The Sumerian myth and the Eden story share some similar aspects.[2]

1. The setting: a garden paradise surrounded by desert.
2. Forbidden Fruits.
3. Expulsion from paradise and physical
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Punishmentpunishment
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Punishment for eating fruit.
4. Using a rib from a
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Malemale
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Male to create
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Womanwomankind
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Woman.
5. The meaning of the female names;
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/EveEve
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Eve (life), Ti (lady of life)
If anyone has any interest in knowledge these pages are an easy start and are very simply written and pretty eye opening to many who have just accepted what they have been told. I've had so many pm's and emails from people thanking me for opening their eyes - something you won't find organized religion doing because of the financial involvement that they have keeping their flock following blindly.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Book_of_Genesis

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Global_flood

There's a big lesson to be learned about the hypocrisy of the direction organized religion is leading people towards with regards to "self". I see it here on LB...people are more interested in saving themselves than being real Christians. You hear people saying "I don't go to Church but I'm a Christian" - yet, their daily actions pointing fingers towards others is so far from being a Christian that you'd need a rocket to get there.

I believe that if people were more educated about the bible, it's origins and it's mistakes, even if they remain Christians, then they would be far less likely to accept the rampant discrimination being encouraged in it's (or Gods) name under the guise of organized religion. I think if more Christians questioned their selfish reasons for their faith then they'd become far better Christians.

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature". Thomas Jefferson

"In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own" Thomas Jefferson.

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes". Thomas Jefferson

"Priests...dread the advance of science as witches do the approach of daylight and scowl on the fatal harbinger announcing the subversions of the duperies on which they live". Thomas Jefferson.

It's sad that modern day organized Christianity has become so perverted from it's origins
default_sad.png

There is alot of evil done in the name of religion, but there is also alot of good done...you won't hear about much of those though...you hear plenty about bad organizations doing hateful things, but it's not newsworthy to show how other good organizations are doing lots of good in many communities. I know in my local area, many of the church organizations feed the hungry, supply clothing and essentials to those in need, regardless of their faith or lack of. There is still good out there you just won't find it 'advertised'.

Added:

http://operationinasmuch.org/2012/05/theres-inasmuch-

life-in-michigan/

Wanted to add a link of just my little tiny community, now this program includes others in the community that are involved, not just church organizations...but the majority was donated by some church organizations...I did one google and found this and my town is small. There is still good so please don't lump everyone of faith into a group of some bad bad apples.

The fringe element of anything is disturbing.

Personally, I am not and never have been an member of an organized religion, but I am really unimpressed by those who like to bash, mock or belittle those who are.
I believe it is high time that everyone of us who believe in Christ and God bring to light the hatred, bigotry that seems to permeate what many uphold as "christian". I will not apologize for that. Hate speech against whether it be blacks, other nationalities, homosexuality or lesbianism, pedophilia etc. have no place in this world. If some want to turn a blind eye to it, so be it. I won't. If you truly follow the teachings of Allah, Jesus, God, etc. then you know that the main message is LOVE, not war, not hate, etc.

I thought freedom of speech was for all, at least that is what I keep seeing in other posts by some, seems it is not unless you agree with a certain group here. I should have known better than to voice my personal opinion.

If the shoe fits, wear it, if it doesn't don't.

I agree with your post BevAnn. I was raised Catholic and like a robot did as I was told, listened to what the priest said. Yes of course there may be some wonderful priests out there who are leading their congregation in the christian way BUT when I see what is coming out of the Vatican and the Pope, that is when I turned away from ANY organized religion. I see this woman in the U.S., the Phelps family, and think of those that have been arrested for hate speech and yet this woman with her vile tongue and beliefs, people tolerate all in the name of free speech? So I guess those that spoke out against people who are jewish should have been allowed to also speak freely? Really? Why were they arrested and not this Phelps woman. Seems to be a set of rules for some and a set of rules for others? All I know is I don't want this Phelps group in Canada, we don't need her kind here, We don't need to spew intolerance for any group, whether homosexuals/lesbians, people of different color, etc.

"I see it here on LB...people are more interested in saving themselves than being real Christians."

Somebody should tell them they cannot save themselves. Been there, done that, and if God does have a sense of humor I can imagine how I amused him by stumbling around in the dark. Jesus is the way. Thanks for the opportunity to share though.
default_pray.gif

If I may speak to the intent of this thread, it was not to bash, mock or belittle.

Danielle is merely calling out those who most certainly deserve whatever they get. Who can find fault in that? I know many people of the cloth who certainly speak out against them. To keep quiet about predatory pastors is not a sign of integrity, but rather the lack thereof.

The megachurches and the televangelists do not deserve respect or consideration; these megaministers have only one thing in mind: fleecing their flock of sheep.

Or as they say, let us prey.

I was always under the impression, or have always been told by my neighbours to the south, about the seperation between Church and State and the First Amendment. If this is the principle that is followed in the U.S. then I ask those of you in the U.S. why you would not allow marriage for homosexuals and lesbians. No bringing the religious beliefs into this but based on the Constitution and equality. Leaving religion totally out of this then you must be feeling that these people do not "deserve" to have the same rights for taxation purposes, etc??? I also need to ask how does a homosexual marriage or Lesbian marriage affect your life personally? My personal opinion is that there is no valid reason to disallow these individuals the same rights UNLESS you bring into the equation your personal religious beliefs. I may be tarred (tared) and feathered for this but I don't care. At my age, I speak my mind and relish the bullies and a good debate :). I do admit that I am a believer in God and Jesus. I do not believe in organized religion as a whole, not speaking about indvidual churches that may be led by wonderful priests, preachers, ministers etc. I believe in compassion, love, forgiveness, equality, etc. I know I am working on the forgiveness part, it's hard let me tell you but I am a sinner and try my best every day.

http://en.wikipedia....on_and_religion

I thought freedom of speech was for all, at least that is what I keep seeing in other posts by some, seems it is not unless you agree with a certain group here. I should have known better than to voice my personal opinion.
I don't understand. Do you feel like if someone has a different opinion than yours, you've been infringed upon? Or that unless everyone who posts is going to say "yes, yes, that's right" that you would have rather not posted? No one has done anything to hamper your right to speak your mind. People, myself included, have just shared their own perspectives on what you've posted. That's pretty much what a person should expect to happen when they start a discussion.

There are hateful fringe elements to every organization - religious and otherwise. That's why I'm so glad I'm not religious!

Religion = Man-made rules

I have a relationship with my Heavenly Father based on love and grace.

As for the money aspect - again, it's who gets the publicity. For every rich preacher/organization sitting in a fancy house, I could show you a hundred living on money that would qualify them for public assistance if they so desired and still they give at least 10% of what they earn to those less fortunate.

I was blessed to spend 6 weeks this summer in the mission field in Ecuador with my husband and our daughters. I met plenty of people who have given up their cushy American lifestyle so they can serve those less fortunate.

Barbara

Barbara, I really envy you for working in the mission field, this is something I have always wanted to do. I have a co-worker who took the entire summer off last year and did just that and she is hoping to do it again next year.

Well I guess I have no takers on my question above about the First Amendment and the seperation of state and religion. I know that in your schools this is adhered to about prayers . If allowing marriage between homosexual/lesbian couples infringed on the rights of those opposing I would better understand their point of view. Who a person marries does not impact my family or my day to day life. What it would do is give them the rights that all other married couples have for taxation purposes, pensions and healthcare. What are people so afraid of? So it all boils down to denying and making a mockery of the words Freedom for all".

Barbara, I really envy you for working in the mission field, this is something I have always wanted to do. I have a co-worker who took the entire summer off last year and did just that and she is hoping to do it again next year.

Well I guess I have no takers on my question above about the First Amendment and the seperation of state and religion. I know that in your schools this is adhered to about prayers . If allowing marriage between homosexual/lesbian couples infringed on the rights of those opposing I would better understand their point of view. Who a person marries does not impact my family or my day to day life. What it would do is give them the rights that all other married couples have for taxation purposes, pensions and healthcare. What are people so afraid of? So it all boils down to denying and making a mockery of the words Freedom for all".
I am not Barbara but as far as the marriage issue it is a state issue. Each state can or can choose not to make same sex marriage legal. I have no clue as to how many states have ever even voted on it. Not much help, but hope that clarifies a bit.

Danielle,

We are more than likely headed back next summer. Come and join us!
default_yes.gif
It was a truly amazing experience and one I am so glad our daughters could have.

As to your question, that is exactly why I am a Christian, public school teacher who does not support prayer in school. Because whose prayer do we support? I would vehemently object to my children being made to pray to Buddha or participate in a Muslim prayer. And that's why I said in another post that there should not be laws against gay marriage. You are legislating morality - and not everyone shares the same moral values. You can't legislate morality. I also do believe in separation of church and state and you raise a valid point. You cannot make laws based on some people's idea of right and wrong.

And the idea that someone else's marriage would affect mine is laughable. Britney Spears and Kim Kardashian have done more to damage the sanctity of marriage than a committed same-sex couple ever could in my opinion.

Now, I also understand there are many who would question my "Christianity" for having these views. But that doesn't worry me. I choose to love people instead of judge them!

Barbara

I was speaking to my husband about this last night and said the same thing to him about the separation of church and state. He is a born again Christian. I am atheist. He says that this country was basically founded for religious reasons and that that is why the laws are made the way they are but then at the same time he is big into history and backs up the Constitution and Declaration of Independence yet in the Declaration it says all men are created equal so, how can he stand behind both the bible and what was written in these documents? Not that the originals writers stood by them either because technically it should have said "all white men are created equal (does not include women or those of another race). We basically try not to talk about it but he said that if it came to vote in Florida on whether gay couples would marry he would vote against it. That's OK cause my vote will cancel out his.

As to your question, that is exactly why I am a Christian, public school teacher who does not support prayer in school. Because whose prayer do we support? I would vehemently object to my children being made to pray to Buddha or participate in a Muslim prayer. And that's why I said in another post that there should not be laws against gay marriage. You are legislating morality - and not everyone shares the same moral values. You can't legislate morality. I also do believe in separation of church and state and you raise a valid point. You cannot make laws based on some people's idea of right and wrong.
And the idea that someone else's marriage would affect mine is laughable. Britney Spears and Kim Kardashian have done more to damage the sanctity of marriage than a committed same-sex couple ever could in my opinion.

Now, I also understand there are many who would question my "Christianity" for having these views. But that doesn't worry me. I choose to love people instead of judge them!
That was VERY well said, Barbara!

He says that this country was basically founded for religious reasons and that that is why the laws are made the way they are but then at the same time he is big into history
Then he would know that the Pilgrims did not write the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence....

Thomas Jefferson had a few opinions about such matters...

But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.

-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination.

-Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography, in reference to the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Danbury Baptist Association, CT., Jan. 1, 1802

Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Thomas Cooper, February 10, 1814

Latest posts

Back