The Enemy From Within...?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see just a fear for AMERICA..I see it for the WORLD..so now you can call me a radical too, since you all at it..

Anybody who replaces and spends hundreds of thousends of dollars to remove the FLAG..Our flag..the flag that people died for ..remove it from His Plane..and replaces it with a ROUND strange looking something..gives me the willis

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/o/obama-plane.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Danielle & TAG - I've got to admit that I wasn't surprised to see the immediate blame for my fears placed on McCain. I'm not even gonna go there.
default_unsure.png

Ummm... I agreed with you, Appylover2 - and where in h-e-double-L did I say McCain was to blame? I said that when I saw McCain being booed for telling that crowd not to fear Obama... I was concerned. They did not like what they were hearing - to the point of booing him - and that worried me. I did not blame McCain for the way the crowd has reacted at times.... extremists will react as they please no matter what they hear. And I think McCain is trying to tone them down a bit and back off from the personal attacks. As I said in another thread - I respect and admire him for doing so - even in the face of dissent from the crowd.

default_yes.gif

Anybody who replaces and spends hundreds of thousends of dollars to remove the FLAG..Our flag..the flag that people died for ..remove it from His Plane..and replaces it with a ROUND strange looking something..gives me the willis
Littlesteppers - I almost hate to comment as some will just say that my opinion should not be considered or respected... but this is not my worthless opinion - just the facts. That is NOT true - although a flag was removed. The link you supplied explains that as well.... with a copy of the original viral email attached.

The flag that was taken off the tail of the plane was the logo - a registered trademark - of the airline the plane was chartered from - North American Airlines.... after June 2008 it became his official campaign plane and was re-done. Here is that section from snopes.com in case you think I am just spinning things...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/airplane.asp

I'll even post some photos.

As the plane used to be with airline insignia...

naair1.jpg

naair2.jpg

As it was redone...

obamaplane1.jpg

... with the flag still next to the serial numbers as normal...

plane6.jpg

All candidates repaint personal campaign planes... there is nothing sinister about it.

mccainplane_small.jpg

TAG I apologize. It wasn't your post. I'm sorry!!!
No problem, Appylover. It is easy to get things mixed up when these threads move so fast and emotions run high. We may disagree again in the future...
default_wink.png

And just because I admire the man for doing so... here is a link to McCain facing down the boos again...

Oh Tag..sooo truthorfiction just made that up???

Until mid-July, the airplane had the markings of the North American Airline fleet, which included an American flag on the tail,

default_new_shocked.gif
" We may disagree again in the future... "

Oh surely not. LOL But sincerely, I appreciate you accepting my apology. I felt bad about my mistake.
default_blush.png

Oh Tag..sooo truthorfiction just made that up??? Until mid-July, the airplane had the markings of the North American Airline fleet, which included an American flag on the tail,
Littlesteppers - of course they did not make it up - they also agree with snopes. Please READ the link you provided. Note what it says. They say it was true the plane was repainted.... and explain about the airline's colour scheme.

Bolding mine.

Summary of the eRumor: A picture of what is said to be Senator Barack Obama's airplane for his presidential campaign. The eRumor says that an American flag was previously painted on the tail but has now been removed and replaced with a symbol of himself.

The Truth:

Obama has used several different airplanes during his campaign but most recently has been flying aboard a Boeing 757 chartered from North American Airlines.

Until mid-July, the airplane had the markings of the North American Airline fleet, which included an American flag on the tail, which is a part of the paint scheme for the airline. The senator's plane was completely repainted, however, to reflect Obama's campaign (as is frequently the case in presidential races). The picture circulated with the eRumor shows the new paint job. The American flag of North American Airlines is replaced with Obama's "O" campaign logo.

There is a small American flag on each side of the airplane and toward the rear near the airplane's FAA registration number.

The comment in the box with photos is them quoting the e-Rumor that was sent out - NOT their comments. This is the comment they posted

The Patriot Room Posted on Tuesday, July 22, 2008 8:11:07 AM

Barack Obama recently finished a $500,000 total overhaul of his 757. And as part of the new design, he decided to remove the American flag from the tail...

What American running for President of the United States would remove the symbol of his country? And worse, he replaced the flag with it with a symbol of himself...
Not their comment - but that of the original email/blogger/website.

The flag on the tail - done in that way - was a registered trademark. Once the plane became Obama's official campaign plane and was no longer simply a charter it had to be repainted as he could not use that trademark and insignia. There truly is nothing sinister there. Candidates can and do repaint planes.

Tango, I'm always happy to see someone looking for the truth. I browsed through some of the thread and decided it would be better for me not to read in detail, but I'm not sure anyone answered your question.

Generally speaking, anything forwarded to you in an e-mail is false. One of the best sources to check forwarded e-mails against-political and otherwise-is Snopes. On this particular e-mail, Snopes has this to say:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/money.asp

Origins: The above-quoted piece combines a good deal of supposition and some elaborate conspiracy theory to question exactly where Senator Barack Obama obtained the money for his education and the purchase of a house in Chicago in 2005. The answers are fairly straightforward.
As both Barack Obama and his wife, Michelle, have noted many times, they paid for their educations via scholarships and student loans, in the process (like many people) incurring debts which were not fully paid off until many years later. (In the Obamas' case, it was largely the revenue derived from Barack's pair of best-selling books that finally allowed them to retire their student loan debts.)

Likewise, the Obamas' financing of their house in Chicago was no mystery. The couple experienced a significant jump in income from 2000 onwards (largely from royalties on book sales), and they purchased their Chicago home in 2005, a year in which their combined income was $1.6 million:

The Obamas' best financial year came in 2005, when their total combined income was $1.6 million. That included $1.2 million in author fees for Obama's best-selling books. Michelle Obama's salary that year [as vice president for community and external affairs at the University of Chicago Hospitals] was $316,962 plus another $45,000 from TreeHouse Foods [for whom she served a member of the board of directors].

The copies of the Obamas' federal tax returns made available on the Obama campaign web site show that the couple had an adjusted gross income of $1,655,106 in 2005 and $983,826 in 2006.

It is true that Rita Rezko bought an undeveloped lot adjacent to the Obamas' home, and the Rezkos subsequently sold the Obamas a small portion of that lot:

In June 2005, Obama and Rezko purchased adjoining parcels in Kenwood. The state's junior senator paid $1.65 million for a Georgian revival mansion, while Rezko paid $625,000 for the adjacent, undeveloped lot. Both closed on their properties on the same day.

In January [2006], aiming to increase the size of his sideyard, Obama paid Rezko $104,500 for a strip of his land.

When the Chicago Sun-Times questioned Senator Obama about the details of his home purchase, he responded as follows:

Q: How do you explain the fact your family purchased your home the same day as Rita Rezko bought the property adjacent to yours? Was this a coordinated purchase?

A: The sellers required the closing of both properties at the same time. As they were moving out of town, they wished to conclude the sale of both properties simultaneously. The lot was purchased first; with the purchase of the house on the adjacent lot, the closings could proceed and did, on the same day, pursuant to the condition set by the sellers.

Q: Why is it that you were able to buy your parcel for $300,000 less than the asking price, and Rita Rezko paid full price? Who negotiated this end of the deal? Did whoever negotiated it have any contact with Rita and Tony Rezko or their Realtor or lawyer?

A: Our agent negotiated only with the seller's agent. As we understood it, the house had been listed for some time, for months, and our offer was one of two and, as we understood it, it was the best offer. The original listed price was too high for the market at the time, and we understood that the sellers, who were anxious to move, were prepared to sell the house for what they paid for it, which is what they did.

We were not involved in the Rezko negotiation of the price for the adjacent lot. It was our understanding that the owners had received, from another buyer, an offer for $625,000 and that therefore the Rezkos could not have offered or purchased that lot for less.

Whoever did the embroidery did a very nice job.

McCains plane sounds just as nice.

In McCain's spacious first class area, there are 12 plush leather seats for the candidate, his wife and senior staffers. The “straight talk” area features a long leather bench and another first class seat which McCain sits in when he talks to the press – or would, if he used the area.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/03/po...ry4317827.shtml

And once again it was a Company Logo that Obama painted over.

Whoever did the embroidery did a very nice job.McCains plane sounds just as nice.

In McCain's spacious first class area, there are 12 plush leather seats for the candidate, his wife and senior staffers. The “straight talk” area features a long leather bench and another first class seat which McCain sits in when he talks to the press – or would, if he used the area.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/08/03/po...ry4317827.shtml

And once again it was a Company Logo that Obama painted over.
It was a company LOGO that INCLUDED a american flag..Now if he is soo patriotic why did he not add the flag back..he sure paid to have that ugly circle thing added..

"he latter activity included replacing the North American Airline color scheme and markings with the Obama campaign slogan ("Change We Can Believe In"), the BARACKOBAMA.COM domain name, and Obama's sunrise/flag "O" campaign logo... The replacement of North American's commercial markings included the removal of two stylized U.S. flag images which are used in the airline's logo (a registered trademark of that company). The North American flag/logo on the forward portion of the fuselage was removed and the one on the tail was replaced with the Obama "O" campaign logo, while traditional depictions of the U.S. flag adjacent to the plane's registration numbers remain..."

Well I guess you missed this part on snopes.

"During that period, the plane bore the standard color scheme and company markings of a North American Airlines aircraft:,"

Latest posts

Back