That Wormer Topic

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatCreekFarm

Reaction score
I do have the free barn chart that was posted here a while back (thank you Ce)
default_biggrin.png

Free Barn Chart

I used SafeGuard the first time (September - before I got the chart) and now for November, any recommendations? Seems I got a little off-sequence so maybe I should just start with the Rotation 6 (which seems to be Nov here in Missouri) and choose from that list - maybe Strongid paste? Or should I choose something else,
default_laugh.png

or

maybe it doesn't really matter that much?
default_wacko.png

Also, would like to verify if QUEST is the only wormer product I should avoid for donkeys?
default_unsure.png

Thank you!!
default_smile.png

YES...PLEASE dont use any Quest on your animals. IMO, it should be marked in big bold letters how dangerous it can be for miniatures. If you used safeguard last time..I would use a ivermectin product this time which should be givenany time after the first freeze. Ivermectin will take care of more worms including lungworms, (which donkeys get) then safeguard. Ce

I use to rotate till I learned here that you do the '5' day worm program twice a year.

I need to do the 5 day again... as it is time.......I just hope Bunny doesn't get the squirts like she did
default_no.gif

I used Promectin E this last time. I guess that it is a form of ivemectin. It seemed to work really good. I did notice that my little babies passed little red worms. I was told that when the worms are red that means that they are dead and that is a good sign.

I am however confused on the 5 day wormer. Can you use anything 5 days in a row? Mine do best on liquid. My little Chocolate spits out the paste.

I don't think that the person I got my two from wormed them.

Thanks, as always, for the great advice
default_smile.png
I'm picking up some Zimectrin (sp?) tomorrow from the vet supply. I like the idea of rotating, and worming every two months. Works for now anyway
default_smile.png

I did notice that my little babies passed little red worms. I was told that when the worms are red that means that they are dead and that is a good sign.
Ewwww!! Little red worms?? I guess that is a good sign though if that means they are dead. I saw nothing unusual after the Safeguard 2 months ago. I checked too
default_smileypuke.gif
But it was a little extra "loose" for a day or two afterward. Just normal I guess.

Back