THANKSGIVING -- Whatcha Making?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
This year for Thanksgiving, H and I will go to his parents' house (we'll go to mine on Dec. 1). However, on Friday, I am making a SPREAD for H, me and two sets of neighbors (elderly -- they go to their kids on Thanksgiving Day).

I am making:

• HUGE Turkey breast in the crock pot
  • Glazed baby carrots
  • Green beans
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Gravy
  • Broccoli salad
  • Creamed spinach
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Stuffing
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Yeast rolls
  • Apple cobbler

I could go for just about all of it now. I've never cooked for very many people, but am looking forward to it
default_yes.gif

What about you all? What's on your menu?

Last year we went to my youngest daughters for dinner, but since they are going to my son-in-laws families this year I will be cooking for just us that live here, that is only for six.

Menu:

I'm roasting two med. size turkeys this year instead of one big one.

Both will be stuffed with my giblet sage stuffing

mashed potatoes

gravy

candied sweet potatoes with marshmellows

cheese green beans

rolls with real butter, what a treat

cranberry sauce, I don't like it but hubby does

black and green olives

Most of the time I eat my meals on a saucer, but on Thanksgiving I use an adult size plate and pig out!

Almost forgot, pumkin pie! Usually eaten after the football game. Go Skins!

I love to cook.

Prime Rib, turkey, stuffing, corn souffle, smoked gouda mashed potatoes, squash casserole, fresh grean beans, salad and rolls

My sisters are bringing dessert hopefully chocolate.

Can't wait.

I am just making the basics....just me, hubby, and our friend that hubby works with....my family is all out of state. I have to work Thanksgiving day so we will be having ours the day before. Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, green bean casserole, corn casserole, biscuits and pumpkin pie. I found alot of neat 'different' Thanksgiving sides on pinterest that I thought about trying...but I am just not into it this year for some reason and really am not looking forward to cooking at all...I usually like it.

Turkey, chestnut stuffing, gravy, Yams with marshmellows, a vegie, rolls with real butter, salad, 2 fresh cranberry sauces - one cooked and one raw with orange. End it with apple pie with vanilla ice cream, pumpkin pie, and mince pie with an optional whipped cream on either.

I lucked out this year. Tonight is our church dinner. The church provides turkey and ham and we all bring pot luck other stuff. I made a home made pumpkin pie and some baked corn.

On Thanksgiving day we were invited to some friends' house so, once again, I'm off the hook. I've had a special request for my apple pie and I'll probably do some baked corn (if tonights turns out well - the church people are my guinea pigs!)

Typically I cook and have all our friends over who have no family nearby. It works out really well. I love to cook and they love to eat. This will be a first for me, this not having to cook thing. I may find that I like it.

Going to my neice's house for Thanksgiving and to her sister's for Christmas.Hostess will do meat-turkey and everybody brings something.I'm doing mac&cheese(did it today and put in freezer)I also did enough for Karl's daughter who is having 17 for dinner,his coonhound club dinner,Christmas dinner, and several small ones for Christmas gifts.I also need to make sweet potato biscuits and bring the rolls(not sure if I will be making or hitting the Amish market for those.l am also making my mom's cranberry jello salad with lemon &cranberry jello, fresh cranberries,pineapple, celery and pecans.Also going to make some pumpkin Mini cheesecakes with gingersnaps on the bottom.Have to pace myself since I still tire quickly since my knee surgery.Been 8 weeks and I'm still not fully recovered BUMMER Looking forward to seeing my family MY neices are 2 amazing young women and are best friends.

We are no closer to getting our kitchen put back together than we were end of September when the hot water heater flooded the floor. I am eating ice cream from the half gallon buckets. TGF microwaves and pants with elastic. Going to nephew's for Thanksgiving. I found the best restaurant for our office to pick up from for our dinner since employer demands we stay on base to grow comraderie. Teeheehee boohoo not kidding. Just glad I could resolve the conflict so we could get carry out and eat. We are even working unilaterally to bring desserts. We are picking up from a nice lady's restaurant. She cooks great home cooked food and built her own business. You can pick from four meats and also get 3 veggies plus tea and tax included for $7.00 tax included. I will pick up a store bought dessert for both work and family and hope next year to be cooking.
default_eat.gif
default_biggrin.png

I work on Thanksgiving so will miss it with my family, but the fiancé is making me Thanksgiving dinner when he gets back on Friday from his own family's Thanksgiving get together. He's the cook around here and is wonderful at is so I'm already excited for it
default_smile.png
Will miss my grandmother's cooking though (and of course time with the family!). She usually makes a turkey and glazed ham, potatoes and gravy (she makes the best homemade gravy), green bean casserole, yams with marshmallows, homemade stuffing, cranberry sauce, strawberry "refrigerator dessert", homemade pumpkin pie, snicker salad, and I know I'm forgetting some. She literally fills two large tables with food and no matter how much my mother and I try, she always kicks us out of the kitchen, so she makes it all herself....without recipes so I probably couldn't help even if I tried.

Darn you, Amanda. You know I'm getting ready to google Snicker Salad right about now!!!
default_eat.gif

Well... that was quick and I'm already back with good news. I've got everything exept the snickers, but I've also got a little country store across the street. I guess I know what I'm gonna do with my apples!!! YUM! I'm going to make this for today!

I'm not sure yet and I'm running out of time!!!!

Roasted turkey - stuff the center with lemon, fresh rosemary and maui onions before cooking (this is to season, not eat!)

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Stuffing with sauteed onions, celery, water chestnuts, mushrooms

Some kind of hericot vert - maybe with lemon and pine nuts

Homemade cranberry sauce with orange zest

Spring green salad with toasted walnuts, blue cheese and pear

Apple pie, of course!

Liz N.

I'm not sure yet and I'm running out of time!!!!

Roasted turkey - stuff the center with lemon, fresh rosemary and maui onions before cooking (this is to season, not eat!)

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Stuffing with sauteed onions, celery, water chestnuts, mushrooms

Some kind of hericot vert - maybe with lemon and pine nuts

Homemade cranberry sauce with orange zest

Spring green salad with toasted walnuts, blue cheese and pear

Apple pie, of course!

Liz N.
Liz I am flying out to eat with you guys! That sounds like a wonderful dinner to me.........Just one thing!!!!! Be careful taking the turkey out of the oven!
default_torch.gif

Be careful taking the turkey out of the oven!
LOL! Thanks for the reminder! Tip to all - if you are cooking a big turkey (mine was 23 lbs. one year), PLEASE do not use one of those disposable tin pans. I was so dumb one year and did, and was wearing flip flops when I was cooking... took the turkey out of the over to baste it and the side of the pan collapsed and poured hot turkey grease all over my foot... 3rd degree burns ... it was bad!!

Anyone - feel free to add cooking tips as well!

Liz N.

Enjoy, Jill! Snicker salad is one of my favorites (and I can pretend it's healthy)
default_smile.png

(I gotta check out that Snicker salad) We will get together at my sister's. We all bring dishes. There will be:

Turkey

sage stuffing

mashed potatoes

baked sweet potatoes

scalloped corn souffle (a recipe of Anne Brumm's AGS Stables-yummmmmm! that we love!)

brown sugar glazed carrot "coins"

cranberry sauce with sour cream to top it with (ever tried it?)

a bountiful relish tray

butter fan rolls

pumpkin pies with real whipped cream

texas sheet cake

and those yummy little mini cheesecakes they put on the other thread that I had lost the recipe for-so now my son can enjoy them again!!!

As always it's just me and Karrel. (The way we like it!)

Just the usual turkey, stuffing, veggie, biscuits, taters & gravy, no frills..........

BUT!!!!! I have not had pie for Thanksgiving in about 5-6 years. So I'm going to make a pumpkin pie! And cool whip!

After the year I've had, we deserve it!

Back