tetanus shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JO~*

Reaction score
Just wondering who out there has NOT had a tetanus shot.

I have not had one in some 30 years. Although I hate shots and as a rule do not get anything put into my body I would like to have a tetanus shot again but I am afraid to have one.

The last time I had one I went into a convulsion.

We got our shot and left the Dr office and just as we got onto the road I remember saying I'm going to faint and faint I did, next thing I know I am back at the Dr office being pried off the floor of our van ,wet pants and all.

Something else I was wondering ... I was terrified to have the shot (any shot) to begin with and had a history of fainting with needles so I thought maybe I passed out because of the fear but I seem to remember a nurse saying you can't have a convulsion because of that??

Are tetanus shots the same as they use to be 30 years ago?

I have to go to a 4H thing now but I will check in later. Thanks.

Wow, Jo, I can certainly see how you'd be gunshy about getting another shot! How scary!!

About six years ago I started boarding at a facility that was undergoing quite a bit of renovation and I was helping out when I could. Over the course of a weekend I cut myself a couple of times, just scratches really, but on Monday after school I drove over to my doctor's office and requested a tetanus shot. At first they quizzed me pretty thoroughly for my reason for wanting one (I guess there was a shortage at the time) and then the nurse said she'd give me one without even charging for a Dr.'s visit if she could just come out to the lobby and do it. Just a flat $20, no paperwork. Being the cheapskate that I am, that sounded good to me, and she came out and gave me the shot in the thick part of my upper arm. Truly, I hardly even felt it. Must have been a fairly small needle, and she was a pro. Kind of like we do it to the horses...just pop it in and be done with it.

Please don't be afraid. Tetanus and its partner lockjaw are horrible diseases and easy to avoid. It is worth the shot. You can do it!!

Jayne

"They" recommend getting a Tetanus shot every 7 years, or every 5 years for those working around metal a lot.

My mom fainted one time when she had to take me to the emergency room. Supposedly she had a mild seizure and it cost more to get her out of the hospital than it did me.

So, I would think that fainting could cause ummm, losing control of your "functions."

My mom fainted one time when she had to take me to the emergency room. Supposedly she had a mild seizure and it cost more to get her out of the hospital than it did me.

So, I would think that fainting could cause ummm, losing control of your "functions."
I have fainted for all kinds of things-- ears pierced--shots--first tampon :new_shocked: first time ahhh

well you know
default_blush.png
:

I would stay up to date on tetanus, especially being around animals. YOu never know when you will get scratched or whatever. I had one a couple years back since I was due and it barely hurt. The time before that I had to get one because my cat scratched me up pretty good.

It is possible to be allergic to tetanus. I would recommend that you discuss this with your Dr. If you don't have one I would suggest you find one.

It is possible to be allergic to tetanus. I would recommend that you discuss this with your Dr. If you don't have one I would suggest you find one.
[SIZE=12pt]Ditto! If you have had a reaction to a vaccine in the past, especially a severe one, a repeat dose of that vaccine could trigger a MUCH more severe reaction. Also, it is possible to have your tetanus titer level checked to see if you even NEED another dose (assuming you could even have it). Ask a Doctor, please![/SIZE]

They used to make tetnus vaccines out of horse serum.....don't know when the date they stopped doing it though! I've given hundreds now (ER nurse) and except for an occasional fainter haven't had anyone react. The one thing about tetnus......there's really no cure and has a high mortality rate. We had a lovely 20 year old a few months ago that "didn't like shots" and ended up dying from tetnus. :no:

Wish I could remember when they changed from used the tetnus serum made from horses to the new one but I can't. It has to have been at least 20 or more years ago. As I had to have a booster to work at a scout camp and I had very little reaction to the one I got. However my first and second shot as a child (50+ years ago) and the one as a teenager made my arm swell up to the point it looked like it would burst.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the input. I guess I will have to ask my Dr point blank about this.

In the past I have always said that I had a bad reaction to the shot and no doctor has ever tried to get me to have another one---I wonder if they are scared I will sue them if I have a bad reaction?

I will also find out about the test Laura said something about.

I may hate shots but I am not afraid of them anymore, I just don't want to have that same bad reaction.

I also have reactions to the tetanus shots, and when in a wreck a few years ago, the ER Dr. would not give me one either. Can't remember the last time I had one. Not too good considering I am always around horses, barbed wire, and fencing and metal and everything else you could imagine. Farm girl you know!

I think the ER Dr. told me I needed to speak to my family Dr., that there was something they could do to lessen the reaction, or maybe a series of shots? I don't remember, and probably should get that checked out!

Please do talk to your doctors about the tetanus shots, if at all possible I think they should be given. The disease is too awful to contemplate. :new_shocked:

Jo, for your reaction (and since you kind of tend to react strongly to many things) I'm sure that after you explain to your doctor, they will have you stay at their office, lying down, for a while afterward for observation to make sure all is well.

I work with the AR Dept of Health. Call your local health unit and tell them what happened, see what they say. Probobly tell you to call your doc, but it may be worth a try, cheaper too.

Shelley<><

Isn't diptheria, or maybe pertussus (whooping cough) included in the tetnus shot usually? Maybe your reaction was to that instead of the tetnus.

I am due for one, too. It's been at least 20 years!

Every ten years over here and I am in a high risk area, and lost a horse (vaccinated) to it a year ago.

After that you need to do the two shot course again.

it took us years to figure out my daughter is allergic to tetnus shots. dpt shots are given to babies and children adults usually only get tetnus. The first reaction she had they said it was probably the P and gave her DT for her second. It almost killed her. She ran a fever of 106 and had seizures. So a year later they tried a 1/2 shot of tetnus. She became immediately ill before we even left the drs office. While it is rare it does happen that people are allergic to tetnus.

Over the years every school she went to hassled me as her doctors said she should never have d, p or t ever again. Even when i would show them the dr's record with him saying no more shots they would threaten to kick her out of school. One school i had to sign a paper saying she couldnt have them for religious reasons. How pathetic is that? I had to lie to get them to leave her alone as a dr saying another shot would kill her wasnt good enough.
default_wacko.png
: we were so happy when she graduated high school as we didnt have to go thru that anymore lol

The last time I had a tetanus shot I had a very bad local reaction.
default_wacko.png
: Now I am due again for another so my Dr. has made arrangements for me to go to a clinic that specializes in allergies and allergic reactions and I will have my shot done there. I have a long, long list of food, drug and environment allergies already, sigh... I guess they will do some testing first and then decide if they can go ahead with the vaccination. They are equipped for any adverse reaction so my Dr. felt that was the best route to go but felt we should persue this since being up to date on tetanus is worthwhile especially working around the farm. If I manage to survive that fun stuff they are also going to test me to try and find an antibiotic I am not allergic to since as of now we don't know of one. :eek: Sounds like an incredibly fun day to me!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Pam

I've never had the Tetanus shot or any vaccines.

I do believe that the tetanus vaccine, or any vaccine can cause a reaction in anyone. It is not always the vaccine itself but the preservatives in the vaccine. Maybe an allergist could help. Also, given that most vaccines have been changed from modified live to killed over the years. Hopefully this helps lesson reactions.

Just whatever you do do, becareful.

Back