Testings for a Pinto colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandmaC

Reaction score
A black and white pinto colt?

What would one have him tested for? LWO? Homozygous? What else?

When does one want to check for LWO?

Sorry to sound so ignorant.
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I think LWO is always good to check with breeding stock if there's any pinto in the line. My stallion, Kinson, might be LWO+ (he's being tested this year since he'll start breeding this year, hopefully) but just looking at him you'd never guess to test him, as he's so minimally marked. But his dad is a pinto and the blue eye on Kinson is a good indicator that there's some sort of pinto gene going on there. If its not LWO then I'm pretty sure its sabino.

13629087_600.jpg

If there's reason to suspect that the horse might be LWO+, test. If its a visable pinto, test. Better safe than sorry with a lethal white foal
default_yes.gif

Go to Animal Genetics

You can test him for LWO, tobiano, red/black.

But if one of his parents is obviously red based, then no need to test for red/black. You will just automatically know that he ie Ee.

A black and white pinto colt?

What would one have him tested for? LWO? Homozygous? What else?

When does one want to check for LWO?

Sorry to sound so ignorant.
sad.gif
Homozygous for pinto have to have both parents being pinto, if that helps you.

Some tell signs is paw prints and black marks on their chestnuts

Not sure if I understand you, his sire is Homozygous. A blk and white pinto, his dam looks to be a solid blk and I'm unsure

if she may be a pinto with very min white? I'll have to send out an email and ask.

I would test a black and white pinto colt for LWO, unless I knew FOR SURE that he could not be a carrier. Now, don't get me wrong, that sounds like LWO+ is a bad thing, and to me it is anything BUT a bad thing. It means you have a frame overo and you would need to be careful who you breed to. If the colt is negative, you don't have to test any of the mares you might breed to him. If he is LWO+, just test the mares and don't breed him to any that are LWO+. And you have a 50% chance of getting a frame overo foal just by breeding him to a solid mare. Horses can have any combination of frame, tobiano, splash, and sabino patterns so you can also breed a LWO+ to any of these other patterns as long as they are LWO- (i.e. NOT frame). Our Rowdy bred stallion is a tobiano pinto, likely carries splash (has a snip and stripe), but is LWO- so we can safely breed him to anyone.

In order to be homozygous for tobiano (he can't be H/Z for frame overo or he would be dead from LWO)BOTH parents would have to be tobiano pintos. I never bother to test and would only do that if I were selling, as it would be a selling point. The first foal that isn't tobiano tells you he/she is not H/Z. But if you want to know, you can test for tobiano and the results will say if H/Z or not.

Now, a word about pintos - the don't always LOOK like pintos, which makes things a bit complicated. Friends of ours bred a tobiano looking stallion to a solid looking mare and got a lethal white foal. In that specific case both sire and dam were Rowdy bred. They were devastated.

Good luck!! So exciting to be where you are!!!

Not sure if I understand you, his sire is Homozygous. A blk and white pinto, his dam looks to be a solid blk and I'm unsure

if she may be a pinto with very min white? I'll have to send out an email and ask.
Than he would not Homozygous for pinto means he will also throu solid horses.

Well, if she is minimal yes, possible.

Has to both parents pinto

From what I can tell his dam is a black and the father a homozygous pinto.

So he then could throw pintos as well as solids right?

Colors are cool and I have a lot to learn, but I like most all colors, solids and pintos.

So unless that changes I'll certainly not be working on color in my program.

Not for now.

Now another question
biggrin.gif
Any guesses of what a Cemello dam and blk and wt pinto stallion would throw?

I really need to learn more about colors and color genetics.

A cremello x blk/white should have the following possible foals.

palomino, assuming that the black/white was also a red carrier (Ee for red)

buckskin, assuming that the cremello also carries agouti and passes it on AND the black/white passes on the black gene

smokey black, assuming that the black/white passes on a black gene and the cremello is not hiding an agouti gene in there to pass on.

Then the pinto gene would have an effect on the pattern. Depending on if the black/white is homozygous for tobiano or not. If he is, then the foal would for sure be pinto, if he is heterozygous then it is a 50/50 chance of a pinto foal.

Someone correct me if I am wrong or missed something.

From what I can tell his dam is a black and the father a homozygous pinto.

So he then could throw pintos as well as solids right?
If the dam is a true solid and not a minimally expressed pinto, then yes the horse would be heterozygous for tobiano. And he would in theory throw pinto 50% of the time and solid 50% of the time.

So sounding totally ignorant here does one send one sample to the lab to test color genes or do you have to ask

for specific things? Sorry I know I am sounding so totally ignorant.

Check out Animal genetics website. They have answers to all of your questions. They have a place where you can put in the sire color/pattern and the dam color/pattern and you can get % results. You can play for hours! Fun!

I personally would always test for LWO it can hide very well and better to know than to experience a lethal white. Good luck! Pintos are such fun!

Testing requires pulling mane hairs 50(I think) be sure to get roots and place in plastic bag, label with horses name, complete form and send $...in a few days I usually have the results via email then followed shortly by mail.

Latest posts

Back