Testing bred mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcpminiaturehorses

Reaction score
I was wondering of those of you who test their mares to try to determine when they will foal, what do you use, is it easy to use, how much does it cost, and where do I get it?

I'm asking because we use I believe it's called "Foal Watch". It works great by milking the mare mixing some stuff up and pulling the solution into a vile. We have had great luck with it and the accuracy is amazing but each vile cost over $1 each. So if you test a mare every two or three days it begins to get expensive. (especially on a bunch of mares!) I will say that the tests have paid for themselves before by the test showing a mare was going to foal that night and so I went on mare stare. The baby ended up having a leg back and ended up saving the mare and foal.

I was just wondering what everyone else used, and how your luck is with the tests. I'm thinking about checking some other stuff out.

Thanks for the input!

I use a water hardness test. Not sure what it costs per stick/strip, but I would guess it is more like about .15 ea.? All you do is mix 1 part milk to 6 parts water (distilled) and then dip the strip and read the results.

smile.gif

You can get the strips at a pool and spa supply store, they are for testing water. Maybe someone here will give the product name(s) and where they buy them. I have bought them relabeled at a mini horse supply store, but never at the pool store, yet, where they are even less expensive.

Liz M>

We use the Mare foaling predictor strips from Jeffers. You can start out with the kit and then just replace the strips. We've even learned to cut the strips right down the middle to make two strips (we're cheap sometimes)
rolleyes.gif
They work great and are easy to use. We have even accurately calculated it so that we can use one drop of milk to test.

Mare Foaling Predictor Kit

An easy-to-use test kit for predicting the possibility of foaling within 12 hours with up to 95% accuracy. Use a sample (1 tsp) of milk from the mare, add to solution, mix & use test strip. Compare test strip to chart & read results. Compact kit will do 15 tests. Instruction booklet included.

Do Not Refrigerate

AD-F1 Compact Kit $39.75

AD-F3 Extra Test Strips 15 count $19.25

Best wishes!!!

Latest posts

Back