Tennessee Department of Health

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vicky Texas

Reaction score
Hi Gang

I don't want to scare people, just wanted to post this, so we know to watch our

horses. I received this notice this Morning on the internet. Please read.

Vicky

From the Tennessee Department of Health: http://www2.state.tn.us/health/Newsreleases/090806.htm

Horse Stabled at Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration Tested Positive for Rabies

Nashville, September 8, 2006

Officials with the Tennessee Department of Health are notifying persons who attended the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration in Shelbyville of a confirmed case of rabies in a horse stabled on the grounds during the event. The horse was not involved in any of the Celebration competitions.

The horse originated from Missouri and was a 3-year-old gelding (neutered male horse), buckskin (cream to tan) in color with a black mane and tail. The horse was described as “small,†standing approximately 14 hands (or 56 inches) at the withers, which is the area near the base of the mane. During the event, the horse was ridden on the grounds by owners and was stabled in barn number 50 on the Celebration grounds. Illness was first noted in the horse on August 28. Over the next few days, the horse developed severe neurological signs, and as a result was euthanized. Persons directly involved in the care of the horse are being contacted and are being assessed for possible rabies exposure and the need for rabies post-exposure treatment.

“Rabies is transmitted mainly through bite wounds from an infected animal. In some cases it may be transmitted through fresh open cuts in the skin or onto mucous membranes such as the eyes, mouth or nose from the saliva of a rabid animal,†said Public Health Veterinarian John Dunn with the Tennessee Department of Health. “However, attending an event where a rabid animal was present, petting a rabid animal or contact with the blood, urine or feces of a rabid animal does not constitute a risk for transmission.â€

The Tennessee Department of Health is requesting that persons who attended the Tennessee Walking Horse National Celebration between August 23 and August 31 call its Public Information Line 1-866-355-6129 if they possibly had contact with this horse and any of the following occurred during their visit to the Celebration.

--30--

I am bumping it back up. I want as many as possible to read it.

We just need to watch for other critters who might come in contact

with our horses in the pastures. Especially in Tenn. With one horse

already getting Rabies, please keep an eye out on your horses.

Even skunks can carry rabies. So be careful.

Thanks

Vicky

If you suspect that you have come into contact with an animal carrying rabies, GET THE SHOTS. I've had the new series and they are NOT painful, any more than a flu shot is. No longer are they a large number of gigantic needles, they are the same size or smaller than the vaccines you give your horses
default_smile.png
Three shots in the arm a few weeks apart if you have the pre-exposure series (vets, technitions, lab techs, police, etc). Post exposure (bitten by a dog, etc) shots are the EXACT same, except 5 instead of 3, and closer together (I think all five are given in a single week, or something like that). If you've had the pre-exposure shots, you just get two boosters (for a grand total of five).

My parent's medical insurance covered the pre-exposure shots 100% (they are kinda expensive). I just get a titer every year and a booster if needed.

Well my hubby had them a few years back, but he had to have them in the bite sites.............from a raccoon attack.

Then they did two big shots in each leg, and two in each arm, then he had to go back for the follup series.

He didn't have to have them again in the bite sites, just the first time, and let me tell you IT HURT!!!!!!!

When you have to have a needle put in each bite wound it is not fun.

He couldn't hardly lift his arms after the shots in there.

But the good thing is if he ever is exposed again It is just a booster.(If you can consider that good)

Cost was around $3800 for the shots from the Raccoon attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made me think a little here reading this. I just pulled a porcupine quill from one of the mares noses tonight when we put them in. She was in a pen on the lawn. We do on rare occasions have porcupines on the far side of the farm but never saw any near the house. All horses ex. babies have had vac. this spring.

Mark

Then they did two big shots in each leg, and two in each arm, then he had to go back for the follup series.

Cost was around $3800 for the shots from the Raccoon attack.
Like I said, luckily they no longer do those. Its a ml or two in the arm, five shots on different days. I think its one, then a second twelve hours later, then a day later, etc. My shots were around $150 each (times three for the pre-exposure, times five for the post exposure). Insurance covered it all.

Speaking from experience here
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_wacko.png
: I am going through the rabies vaccination shots right now after a freak inncident with a BAT getting in the house through the fireplace chimney. Since we were unable to catch the little son of a gun and test him.....the doctor demanded I get the series of shots as a precaution. Bats can aparently drool salivia.....thus if they have rabies and were flying around above in close quarters(such as a house) a person could be exposed. Edited to add: the bat was hovering around while I was sleeping....I woke up to hearing his wings right by my ear and it hitting the drapes. That is why I felt I better report it to my doctor. :new_shocked:

The shots were based on personal weight for the first session. My were in the rump then after all have been in the arm. Not painful but some side effects like flu like and loss of appetite for me personally.

On a positive note......I've gotten my tetnus this month and now the rabies which will be done this Friday. All I need is a coggins/health certificate and you can show me in any state. :lol: I try to keep my sense of humor as it has been quite an experience to go through this. I am praying my insurance covers it.....

Rabies exposure is serious, I urge you to take it seriously if exposed. Report it to your doctor immediately, they will help you get the treatment. Better safe than sorry......shots aren't fun but better than the alternative.....rabies.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Russ

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I did remember reading your

post about the bat, in the house. Just glad you will okay.

Vicky

I had a TWhorse at that show. I wasnt close to that particular barn, but my horse was vaccinated. It is a scary thing. To be at a national championship show, and a horse at that show to have rabies.

I also had the shots several years back, when we had a skunk get up on our porch and refuse to leave, and apparently our 4 month old pup contracted it. He was euthenized and then we (the whole family) had to get the shots. From experience, those shots HURT> Not actually getting them, from what I remember, But afterwards, I can remember being so so sore for such a long time.

I am glad they are much better now. I would hate to think of anyone going through that.

Latest posts

Back