Tell Me What Your Best Fly Spray Is?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
We only have one farm store within 50 miles and they were out of the cream, Swat so I paid $20 for Repel X and it said I could mix it 1 to 7 or as strong as 1 to 4. So I chose the 1 to 4, and I still have to apply it about every 4 hours, what do you guys use, does anything work for a full day? It just doesn't seem like that's to much to ask for or is it?

We haven't found any spray that lasts more than a few hours let along all day. Now we only use fly spray at shows or when working with them at home. We think Piranha - aerosol yellow can works best (10-12 bucks).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Come on guys, if I'm a fly on your horse and you want to kill me, how would you do it?
default_whistling.gif
:
default_whistling.gif
:

SWAT...its like a vaseline, doesn't take much and keeps the flies away for days.

We just used absorbine spot on fly treatment on our two quarter horses. It worked for almost exactly two weeks just like the package said.

If you can get the dosage right for minis I highly recommend this product.

It was $40 for a box that will last one full size horse 4 months. Well worth the money.

We have a HUGE fly problem here around our house. Everyone has horses all around me.

Be very careful of Spot On and like products. our horse nearly lost an eye when she rubbed some into her eye. it uses the same chems as the spray ons but at about 500% the rate. theres a product thats all natural called Larrys All Natural that we use. its a consentrate thats mixed with water and vinegar. it smells like salad dressing , but it works . DR.

Well I won't use anything water-based........It is worthless.

I buy a horse & pony spray that is oil-based and it works pretty well. Or SWAT!

We are using Antron. We apply it about every other day although it says it will last up to 2 weeks. DO NOT use Bronco Gold...we found it caused swelling under the skin...allergic no doubt. Mary

I like the Tri Tec (silver bottle). Tends to work fairly well for a few days and I've never had any reactions to it.

Liz

Plain ol Raid bug spray.

There are different Raid bug sprays, but you want the Raid Flying Insect . (The one in the blue colored can.)

It is probably the best fly spray i have ever used on the horses. A friend of mine suggested this to me a few years ago, and i have been using it ever since.

We were very careful with the spot on. It has a clear warning on the box not to get near eyes or nostrils. There were 6 places that you put the spot on on. Behind each "knee" in the front, behind each hock on the croup and on the poll. Like most products it tells you to watch for reactions. I've only used this on my quarter horses so far.

We handled it properly and gave the horses hay afterwards to keep them busy. The flies were gone instantly so they had no reason to rub at their legs,etc. They were at peace which I have not found a single product that has been that good. There are many different kinds of spot on. I used Absorbine. This was recommended by the mgr. at my tack store. Near the end of the two weeks is when I first started seeing the flies again, BUT it was a rare few.

We do use the fly spritzers in each run in shed. There are no flies in the run in sheds when we use those.

The initial cost of the battery operated box is around $35. However, we have only had to use one can per year in the sheds and they are cheap and the batteries seem to last forever. We forgot and left them up a couple of years through the winter. The cans were empty, but the box would keep on spritzing air. They just keep on working. We've had the same boxes for almost 7 years.

I own a Tack Shop and the #1 recommended by customers is Bite Free, second is Pyrannah, cheapest way out is a concentrate like Repel X, but these need to be sprayed daily to be effective. If you can't spray everyday use the Spot On products, they work. Use Swat for wounds to keep the flies out. Wish I had a spray system in my barn.

Pyranah is the best I've found and lasts the longest. I do use Bronco here when I work horses. I prefer a water based fly spray on the show horses for workouts.

I have a Pyranah fly control system in my barn and I wouldn't be without it! It works wonders on fly control!
default_smile.png

I dont like the sprays.. I like a product that you can wipe on,- as to get close to the eyes, - which is my main concern with flys. So far the best product that I have found is Avon's-skin so soft bath oil- to detrer flys from around the eye area. (once a day application). I did notice however that we were losing the hair around the eyes after a few weeks of use, so I am alternating with a mask to regrow the hair around the eye area. But it is still a good product to use when the flies are terrible, as they hate the product.

Well. At Littlefoot where wee man is boarded a new order of Fly Spray came in and WOW!Results Results Results! Its By Herbs For Horses its called "Outdoor Flyspray" but anyways its Oil Based all Natural and has a nice Fragerance. I totally Recommend it!! We Sprayed it on Joshuas Legs and the flys on his legs just dropped dead
default_yes.gif
: And its all natural for your little babes
default_wub.png
:

I swear by Absorbine Ultra Sheild. I spray it on when they go out and again after lunch about 1-2:00 and it does help alot! I use a cloth glove to put it on their faces and run it thru the forlock litely and their tails too! About $20/ qt, it lasts about 3 wks on 3 horses.

Here is something I use and I like it a lot! I use it on ant hills and trails around the barn/yard and also the stalls and barn floors. I sweep it in with a broom. It is called VIPOR. Not sure of its original use, for plants I think but it works wonders. I sprinkle it on the "piles" as I load them in the wheel borrow too. It really cuts the flies and ants. I get it at the feed store. I believe you can use it for lice as well? It is like Seven Dust.

I have not tried it directly on the horses for flies, but used it one year when I thought they had lice. I will sprinkle some on one now and see if it helps? Good topic, but I have found the fly sprays not too effective either, no matter what the cost/brand. I think these flies are just getting immune as I remember fly sprays working really well at one time. For days in fact. "WIPE" was another product that used to work really well for horses. You put it on with a soaked rag and rubbed them down with it. I have not used that one in a couple of years, sorta messy to use but it is oil based and worked pretty well as I recall.

Beth

This year its Bronco Gold, lasts for days. I also have a fly system in the barn, so dont know if its residue is helping. I rarely see them swishing bad at flys.

Latest posts

Back