tell me about your verbal cues

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy Hogan

Reaction score
I posted this topic in the Photo section because it had a video link, but I'd really love to hear how everyone trains and uses verbal cues with their minis. I love this topic since it requires some good training to help the horse REALLY understand the verbal cue when it's not associated with a physical one.

Thanks!

Peggy

For a side pass I use "side", To get them to move the hind end I use "over". I make the clicking sound for trot but also use it to mean hurry up when doing the side pass or any other maneuver they are going a little slow on.

For backing I do a sucking sound and tell them to back. I use "set" when setting them up.

I notice you have click in your avatar and I don't think it matters what words or sounds you make as long as you are consistent for what cues do what.

When Rain was little he use to do alot of coltish things like being hyper. lol. So when i had him on a lead he wouuld start trotting and cantering so i put a command to it. When he started trotting id say 'rain trot' and then when he would canter id say 'cant-er'. NOw 2 years later he does it on command but before i canter i make 2 small circles and say "rain canter, rain ready, canter" then take off in a canter.

I also taught him to pick up his hooves on the command 'up'. but now when i stand next to the hoof he pickes it up automatically with out me saying anything.

Rain also use to pick up his feed bucket when he was little and throw it around so we put a command to that too. lol. Now we can point to the bucket and say 'rain, bucket" and he walks over to it and pickes it up, carries it back and gives it to us. : P

I have a video of that-

I also use 'back' when i back them up and 'set' when i set them up.

When i jump two sox i also use the command 'up'

Mine are easy!

No no no no no no no no

Bad bad bad bad bad bad

Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! Oh no!

Please? Please? Please? Pretty please with sugar on it.

Stop that dang it! Stop that dang it! Stop that dang it!

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I really dont use cues when woeking in the ground. All of my horses respect my space and do not invade. When I walk towards them in the front they back off. When I walk to their side they sidepass. When I walk they walk, when I trot they trot and when I stop they stop etc, etc.

Repitition and Practice!

I do use voice commands in the cart because I dont have the ability to use body language. I use whoa to slow down a gait, ho to stop and stand, back to back up, turn to pivot in a circle, trot to trot and trot up and cluck to extend the trot.

Mine are easy!
No no no no no no no no

Bad bad bad bad bad bad

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
Marty, you forgot "Aahhh-that's-my-foot-get-off-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow!"
default_laugh.png

Mine are easy!
No no no no no no no no

Bad bad bad bad bad bad

default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
ROFLOL...Marty, you're priceless....LOL

For a side pass I use "side", To get them to move the hind end I use "over". I make the clicking sound for trot but also use it to mean hurry up when doing the side pass or any other maneuver they are going a little slow on.For backing I do a sucking sound and tell them to back. I use "set" when setting them up.

I notice you have click in your avatar and I don't think it matters what words or sounds you make as long as you are consistent for what cues do what.
Hi Kathi, nice to meet you and thanks for posting!

I use all sorts of sounds, just like you do. I love the sucking sound for backup...that one is new. The "click" I use when training isn't a cue, is just is a way of telling the horse "YES, I LIKE what you're doing right NOW!" When followed with a treat horses learn faster with this clicking sound.

However, as I said, when I'm "cueing" a horse I have lots of different sounds, some verbal (like back or whoa) and some just sounds. Of course we all have tons of physical cues we use as well....

It's just fun to see what our horses understand... thanks for your post!

I always say the horses name first, then I give the command, then my horse does not listen to anyone else.
That's very cool....I like using the name as well, however I can tell it isn't as "proofed" in my case, because when working with multiples I still see the other heads turn in response to another horse's name. I have strengthened the name by doing "McKee" then feed a treat. It works well.

I know a trainer who says "whooop-trot" or "whooop-canter" when in the arena so that her horses won't respond to other people's cues...

I really dont use cues when woeking in the ground. All of my horses respect my space and do not invade. When I walk towards them in the front they back off. When I walk to their side they sidepass. When I walk they walk, when I trot they trot and when I stop they stop etc, etc. Repitition and Practice!

I do use voice commands in the cart because I dont have the ability to use body language. I use whoa to slow down a gait, ho to stop and stand, back to back up, turn to pivot in a circle, trot to trot and trot up and cluck to extend the trot.
Thanks Alex....I'm speaking about the same thing as your voice commands etc. A cue can be physical as well as verbal. I'm just curious how people go about testing their command or cues. For example I know many people will give a verbal cue and a physical cue at the same time, like "back" (verbal) at the same time they put pressure on a rope (physical). Research suggests that if two cues are present at the same time, animals tend to tune out ONE of the cues.

To me that's really fascinating....so I like to check all my cues to see if the horse is able to respond to them in a real variety of circumstances, and are they REALLY understanding a verbal, or is it the physical cue they're moving from.....

just curious how people are handling this...

I had an arab colt back in the 80's that was a crack up. He would do anything for me and would do anything I asked. As I was training him for halter, leading,Standing for the farrier, etc.For the standing part I had a riding crop I would hold against his chest and I told him "Ho, Stand" and as I would lead him away I would say "OK Come on". One day he was getting his feet done and the farrier wanted to walk him out so I could see how he walked. Farrier starts out and hits the end of the lead and gets yanked back. Shalome didn't take a step or toss his head or anything.He just stood there. The farrier starts again and hits the end of the line and gets yanked back. He asks me how I get the horse to move and I said "I don't know, I just lead him". He walks out and hits the end of the line and Shalome is still just standing there like "whats your problem guy?" I thought about it and I suggested he say "oK, come on" and he went. The thing is I had not really thought much about the commands I was giving him. We were just ment for each other. This horse would also cast himself in his stall and when my brother would climb into his stall and get him free, the horse just knew that my brother was who caused him to get in that situation and he would stomp and toss his head as my brother scooted out of the stall. Oh for loading a horse in a trailer or my barrel horse in the back of the truck with a stock rack and the tailgate chest high on him I would just say "Load up".It worked every time. Myminis all insist on me pulling the ramp out on the trailer so they can just walk into the trailer.I have not had any success getting them to load in a trailer without a ramp no matter what I say or do to them.

verbal cues we use, are:

to side pass, over over

to circle front feet in a hoop we just say circle

back is back

now when we are teaching jumping we say hup hup, when going over, and when going to the right so they know ahead of time which way we are turning we say Gee Gee for right and haw haw for left, than we do not get pulled in the wrong direction we are going.

When backing in a L shape tell them ahead of time turning, they do seem to know.

trotting over poles lift lift so they do not touch the poles.

going over a bridge or tarp, step on

One my gelding does, I say kiss and hold out my hand and he licks my hand.

I believe they can understand many words... repeated over and over again... great topic.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't do obstacle, so can't respond there. I think the key is body language there, though.

In driving, my horses get kisses and clucks to go faster (a kiss from a stand means to walk, another kiss is to trot, and then further kissing or "shhhht" asks for the extended trot) and then verbal commands are used to go down speeds ("Walk" or "Easy" to slow from the trot) and of course "Whoa" and then "stand."

Andrea

verbal cues we use, are:
to side pass, over over

to circle front feet in a hoop we just say circle

back is back

now when we are teaching jumping we say hup hup, when going over, and when going to the right so they know ahead of time which way we are turning we say Gee Gee for right and haw haw for left, than we do not get pulled in the wrong direction we are going.

When backing in a L shape tell them ahead of time turning, they do seem to know.

trotting over poles lift lift so they do not touch the poles.

going over a bridge or tarp, step on

One my gelding does, I say kiss and hold out my hand and he licks my hand.

I believe they can understand many words... repeated over and over again... great topic.....

Wow..

This is a great list. I'm with you, they can understand loads of verbal cues. I've learned that it's easier to transfer a physical cue to a verbal cue if you try this sequence: "new cue, old cue, click/treat"

I understand not everyone on this list uses the clicker LOL, but anyway, I still find the method really effective.

I also know that many of our cues are too similar, and when helping the horse it'll go lots faster if we are really distinct...like "gee" and "haw." Not much chance of confusing those...LOL.

I like "over" for sidepass....that's cool.

I've heard of some dog trainers using "circle" for one direction and "spin" for the other?

Thanks for responding to the post

:)

Oh Bailey and Willow certainly understand verbal cues. it's very obvious when I say to them in a stupid voice (kinda hard to describe) "do you want treats?". I say it really fast, then really slow. Bailey gets all excited and turns his head away, almost like he is shy and Willow starts wrapping herself around my legs! There is NO question that they know what I am talking about.
default_488.gif

To get them to back, I simply say 'back, back" and then back they go.

When I ground drive Bailey I will use the words 'whoa' to stop him without pulling at the reins and he stops on a dime!

To get them to spin around (a trick we do) I simply point at their backsides and say "go round".

And, they know when it's dinner time and I call them from the back field by saying "c'mon, c'mon" (once again said in the most ridiculous voice!) They come flying up the hill.
default_biggrin.png

Come to think of it, the voice that I use to talk to them must have my neighnours thinking that I'm a fruit loop!
default_wacko.png

Both horses also know their names. They can be standing together in the field and I'll call "Willow" and only she will look over.

Wow..This is a great list. I'm with you, they can understand loads of verbal cues. I've learned that it's easier to transfer a physical cue to a verbal cue if you try this sequence: "new cue, old cue, click/treat"

I understand not everyone on this list uses the clicker LOL, but anyway, I still find the method really effective.
I do have a dog clicker that I have used in the beginning, and also just slap my hand against my leg.

Also interesting to know what kind of treats do you use and what others use?

Great topic
default_biggrin.png

Wow..This is a great list. I'm with you, they can understand loads of verbal cues. I've learned that it's easier to transfer a physical cue to a verbal cue if you try this sequence: "new cue, old cue, click/treat"

I do have a dog clicker that I have used in the beginning, and also just slap my hand against my leg.

Also interesting to know what kind of treats do you use and what others use?

Great topic
default_biggrin.png
I use a variety of treats depending on what each horse likes. I'm pretty careful with the minis, and tend to stay with low calorie pellets. I even train with their grass hay sometimes (but it takes awhile to chew and slows the training down LOL). When I really like something I might give them a tiny bite of carrot/apple/peppermint/plum/whatever instead; it always perks them up.

I use food rewards in the beginning when I'm training something new, but then I do use "food substitutes" like scratching, or turn out time (this one is obviously given at the end of the session).

I really do value the cues that can set the horse up for what's about to happen, so if verbal "whoa" helps them stop before the bit is used, then I like the idea of using it. Also, it's just handy to have verbal cues....

Oh Bailey and Willow certainly understand verbal cues. it's very obvious when I say to them in a stupid voice (kinda hard to describe) "do you want treats?". I say it really fast, then really slow. Bailey gets all excited and turns his head away, almost like he is shy and Willow starts wrapping herself around my legs! There is NO question that they know what I am talking about.
default_488.gif

To get them to back, I simply say 'back, back" and then back they go.

When I ground drive Bailey I will use the words 'whoa' to stop him without pulling at the reins and he stops on a dime!

To get them to spin around (a trick we do) I simply point at their backsides and say "go round".

And, they know when it's dinner time and I call them from the back field by saying "c'mon, c'mon" (once again said in the most ridiculous voice!) They come flying up the hill.
default_biggrin.png

Come to think of it, the voice that I use to talk to them must have my neighnours thinking that I'm a fruit loop!
default_wacko.png

Both horses also know their names. They can be standing together in the field and I'll call "Willow" and only she will look over.
Sounds like Bailey and Willow are very "auditory" indeed. I'm finding it fascinating to try to isolate whether the horses are responding to a verbal cue, a physical cue or a combo of both.

I've been teaching McKee to differentiate between right and left. I'm doing this using targets. If I say "right" he has to touch the target on his right side, and "left" means touch that corresponding target.

It is VERY tough not to cue by looking at the target, or turning my head in the direction in a subtle way. But he's also getting it; and I'm almost like a statue when I cue it so I know he's really isolating the "verbal" instead of just responding to physical cues.

Thanks for sharing about Bailey and Willow. And BTW....I'll bet MOST people on this list make all sorts of goofy sounds with their minis. At least I imagine they do....LOL.

Latest posts

Back