"Teff" Hay

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlersminis

Reaction score
My hay guy has a hay called "teff" hay (Maryland). He said it was originally started on the west coast, but didn't take off as a horse hay. But he said around here, it's taking off as a horse hay. He hasn't had a nutritional content done on it yet, but he said "they say" it's very similar to orchard grass. I've seen it, and the look and feel reminds me of Coastal hay from Texas (my sister brought me some of her Texas hay last year).

In any event, just wondering if anyone has used it, and how they liked it. Anyone ever had a nutritional analysis done on it?

Thanks in advance for any help on this subject!

I researched Teff back about 5 years ago.

It actually isn't a new hay but is used in Africa and Ethopia.

Quote: Researchers in Oregon and Washington say teff, an annual grass native to Northern Africa, could be a promising rotation crop in the Northwest. Teff grass also holds promise as a niche horse hay and as a "rescue crop," the researchers say.

Teff grass is native to Ethiopia, where its grain is used for making bread and a beer-like beverage

A new load had come into our feed store....it was beautiful green, smelled fresh and clean....

Price was decent and I took 4 bales home to try out on the kids. We were in small pasture

situation then and had to supplement for grazing in the heat of summer when the grass fell off.

My guys would not touch it......they hung it all over their stalls like they were decorating for Christmas.

Left it in the pasture, laid in it - would not eat it. Not an economy for us even at it's good price.

The owner of the facility had an old QH gelding and he gobbled it down like it was candy.

My experience would say try a bale, see if they like it and go from there.

Equuisize, thanks for the background info on the teff grass. My hay guy did say some will eat it and some won't. They're going to give me a couple bales for free to try, so I will.

Has anyone else used this hay?

My minis love it!
default_yes.gif
It is suposed to be good hay for minis because it is low in sugars and starch. The hay I got came with a analysis and is very high in nutrients. I bought all I could get and it is gone, I will certainly buy more next season. It was also cheaper per bale than Orchard and Timothy.

Back