tank de-icer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debbiesshelties

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know this has been talked about before, but I need ideas. I would like to get a de-icer for my water tank(large heavy duty plastic 25-30 gallon). I even purchased the one I wanted but when I got it home it said do not use with a drop cord. Does everyone have electricity to their tanks? Is this a very costly procedure?

Thanks,

Debbie

Just use the Heavy Duty Extension cords and ones that say Outside use make sure it is a Heavy Dud one and things will be fine.. ALL mine are run with extension cords all over the place ..

These heaters are 1500 Watts and the Tank Heaters in cars are also 1500 watts. Us in the Northern areas have plugged out cars into an outlet for years. because of a heater that goes into the heater hose or block to heat the antifreeze to help it start on mornings like today I had 16 Below Zero....well guess what? You can't plug them into an outlet direct. You Have to use an extension cord Same thing applies here. That is put on the box just so they can protect their butt, in "just in case" something happens....But using a very Heavy Duty one for outdoor use everything will be fine.

debbiesshelties said:
Hi everyone,I know this has been talked about before, but I need ideas.  I would like to get a  de-icer for my water tank(large heavy duty plastic 25-30 gallon).  I even purchased the one I wanted but when I got it home it said do not use with a drop cord.  Does everyone have electricity to their tanks?  Is this a very costly procedure? 

Thanks,

Debbie

513972[/snapback]

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a "blue" water tank in the barn-- no electricity required -- that way we never have ot worry about them getting a shock.I can ask John what it is called . It works great as well

Just make sure you have heavy electric cords! i've burned out 3 extention cords on the ends where the heaters plug in. they are outside in the snow so i dont' worry about them catching anything on fire..but it can/will happen! i haven' t had any other problems with mine and i've been using them for about 4 years now.

Amy said:
We have a "blue" water tank in the barn-- no electricity required -- that way we never have ot worry about them getting a shock.I can ask John what it is called . It works great as well
513991[/snapback]

I want to know what this is. We have no electricity where the horses are (too far for an extension cord - 300-500 yards).

chandab said:
Amy said:
513991[/snapback]

I want to know what this is. We have no electricity where the horses are (too far for an extension cord - 300-500 yards).

514011[/snapback]

me too...............What Kind is it????

Just use the heavy duty cords, they work great. I've got them snaking out all over the place. Just don't go over one with a snow blower!!!

Ginny StP

Ok, when we find out what the blue bucket is I want to know too.

My husband is afraid a electric in the barn, OLD- early 1900's, so out I walk w/ my sled and gallons of water.

Well, we can't find the name of ours -- however, we got it at our local CO-OP store -- we have a one hole one but you can get them with two holes as well, but the two hole one would need a lot more horses to keep it open. It is an energy free waterer. You could ask about that at your local farm store. Ours takes about 15 gallons going through it every day to keep it from freezing up . Sometimes if they slop a lot on a cold day you might have to throw a pail of HOT water on it to loosen it up again. John says we have had ours for about 15 years , so he can't remember the name but they still sell them at the Co-OP stores up here.

Good luck on finding one-- they can be used outside as well.

Amy said:
Well, we can't find the name of ours -- however, we got it at our local CO-OP store -- we have a one hole one but you can get them with two holes as well, but the two hole one would need a lot more horses to keep it open. It is an energy free waterer. You could ask about that at your local farm store. Ours takes about 15 gallons going through it every day to keep it from freezing up . Sometimes if they slop a lot on a cold day you might have to throw a pail of HOT water on it to loosen it up again. John says we have had ours for about 15 years , so he can't remember the name but they still sell them at the Co-OP stores up here. Good luck on finding one-- they can be used outside as well.

514258[/snapback]

Don't know for sure, but it sounds an awful lot like a Thermal Sink waterer (think that's the name). They aren't cheap these days; we've been considering one.

Ha-- they weren't cheap then either LOL but they do work well -- no electricity to worry about . We sure like ours

We have electric but, someone told me if you put a big plastic ball in with water tank, it will help keep the water from freezing. You could try that.
yes.gif

Latest posts

Back