Taller stallions...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have the luxury to breed for both 38" and 34" and under. We love both of them and can appreciate the differences we see in all of them. Cherryville's Rio de Oro who is our Sr. Stallion and has been for over 18 years now is a solid 33 3/4". He produces babies that are usually shorter than he is, even when bred to taller mares. Being AMHR and AMHA registered we really do not care what his babies mature out at. As they have a place to be used.

Additionally, we currently have a 33" yearling that is slated to become one of our Jr. Herd stallions (Rhapsody's Majestic Reign, who is pictured in the avatar) who is being campaigned by Belinda Bagby with a lot of success. And his height does not scare me at all. He should mature around 35 - 36" we think. He is pretty awesome and I can't wait till his show career is over to get him home and in the breeding pen.

But with that said, our breeding program revolves around producing the best quality, smallest horse possible from whatever line we are breeding. One day we hope to be able to get that refined leggy Arabian look into the smaller horses. But to be honest that day has not come yet. We are getting close and I think you will see in the next few years. I base that on having attended numerous shows and both National/World shows for years. The closest so far as been "Miss Kentucky" of AMHA fame, who is an awesome mare.

To directly answer your question though, yes height does make a difference. But quality comes first and then we will work on the height after that. LOL

[SIZE=12pt]We and I have never had a problem with breeding larger stallions to smaller mares! I have bred my almost 38" stallion to my 34" mare consistantly for 3 years now and she has no problems foaling and her foals are smaller, around 35" to 36" ...here in Wyoming most of our stallions are 36" to 38" tall and we breed them to mares their own size and smaller. We breed of course for quality. This year for instance we have a pinto mare who is 35" tall...she is sired by a 38" stallion out of a 38" mare and she was bred last year to a 37.75" stallion and this years pinto filly walks under her dam and might not see 35".....So far we have had no 100% Arenosa foal go over 38" tall. They are very correct and make super driving mini/ponies. There is a market for every size I am sure, it just depends on what you like! We like them with size, substance, good bone, pretty heads and good movement. We have a 2008 pinto filly that would knock socks off in the show ring and I have NO doubts she would be a National Champion and then go on to produce more!...but I love the little ones too
default_wink.png
[/SIZE]

Jenny

Most of my mares are B sized so i would want a smaller A sized stallion. I like the stallions to be about 32 in hopes that the stallion may reduce the size of the foal or at least keep the foal from being taller than its mom.

I do have one colt that was born here he's turning out to be such a nice boy i'm probably going to cross him with 2 of my B mares, but would never cross him to my smaller mares because he's projected to be 34.5. After I get one or two babies from him he'll be gelded and trained for driving. I really want a filly from him.

My biggest advice in breeding any animal is to remember that the market will come and go. You have to breed what you are willing to keep if it does not sell. I try not to breed tiny. If a taller colt does not sell, I would geld and turn into a driving or all around horse. If a tiny colt does not sell, well darn, I hope they do! lol

I have several stallions, and the one I paid the most for I am now trying to sell because he is just not tall enough for my tastes. It really comes down to a matter of taste.

With that said, I so far, have not even looked at a stallion without AMHA papers. While I like a nice B gelding or mare, I only want AMHA stallions to breed to. I may change this opinion in the future, never know what the future holds.

Latest posts

Back