TALKING ABOUT STRIPES

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny

Reaction score
This is Ozymandias. He isn't a dun. Neither parent was dun. He was born with a strong jet black dorsal stripe going right down into his tail and very strong jack stripes. The more he shed the more stripes he got. When he shed as a yearling he was striped from head to tail. They are vertical stripes going from his throat right down to his tail. It's hard to see his dorsal in these pics but it's there and still strong. This year as a two year old he's even more stripey! He even has Dr. Phil Sponenberg stumped. We're wondering if he's a brindle and I have another color expert looking at him (who Dr. Phil recommended) jury is still out but I really think he's cool.

I just wanted to share these pics and see if anyone else has a striped mini who isn't a dun.

Thanks for letting me share
default_smile.png

Drawing1.jpg

Drawing2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW,

that is really neat!!
default_smile.png
)

Brindle does occur, rarely, I think.

If I saw him, I would say dunn too..

I would love to know what you guys come up with.

Sandy

I would say he's brindle! There are some pics of brindle horses in my horse color book. The pics in that book are of horses in Austrailia and they are big horses. I wonder if you have the first brindle mini!!!

Here's some websites with pics! You can even register him in the brindle horse society!

http://www.elcascabel.com/brindles.html

http://members.aol.com/brindlehos/

How cool for you to own such a neat colored horse!

Wow, show us more pix!!! What is his pedigree? I just love that look.

Thanks for the nice posts guys. He does have the smutty/sooty gene which is thought to be involved with making a brindle so we'll see (be cool if he can produce stripes too)

I'll post more pics in a short while (gotta load to photobucket and resize and I have a house full of kids here today *gasp*)

Here's his lines for anyone wondering.

Sire is Little King's Midnight Express, dam is Tatoo's Lady Slipper. Midnight is co-owned by MiniV, Hallmark and Alamo. MiniV own his dam.

Here's some of the others...

Little King's Locomotion

(Multi Supreme & Grand Champion)

(National Reserve Champion)

Little King's Cinderella

(National Champion and Reserve National Grand Champion producer)

Boone's Little Buckeroo

Hemlock Brook's Spunky Dude

(This mare produced National Champion after National Champion -

Little Kings Miss Buckeroo

Res. National Grand Champion. Res. National Champion Sr. Mares

Little Kings Locomotion

Res. National Champion

Little Kings Buckeroo Bonsai

Reserve National Champion)

Komokos Little King Supreme

(Multiple National Grand Champion and Supreme Champion producer)

Crattys Dynamic Girl

(Multiple National and Reserve National Champion)

Poplar Lane's Sampson

National Grand Champion producer

Johnston's Vanilla

National Grand Champion producer

Komokos Teenie Jeanie

(Dam of legends like Little King's Buck Echo, Little Kings Buckeroo Dejavu)

Komokos Little King Supreme

and Gold Melody Boy.

Pretty nice pedegree. Will post more pics as soon as I can this afternoon.

Here are a few more photos. It's hard to show the stripes too well because he is such a dark brown color. You almost have to see them in person to see them well, especially the ones on his back.

What is cool is that he gets more each year (or they just get stronger)

Drawing5.jpg

Drawing6.jpg

a few more....

Drawing7.jpg

I know that his smutty gene has something to do with this (and brindle) what I'd love to do one day is breed him to a cremello or perlino who is known to have the smutty gene and throws smutty buckskins or palominos. It would be SOOO cool haveing these black stripes on a pale body color
default_yes.gif
:

Here's a couple just to show what a cutie he is too. He has a prefect bite, perfect legs and THE sweetest disposition.

Drawing9.jpg

sorry...he is over weight though.

Drawing10.jpg

(can't see the marks agains the light.

Thanks for letting me share my beloved boy.
default_smile.png

WOW, I would have bet money he was a dun if I didnt' know his parents weren't!! That is WILD! LOVE it, he's BEAUTIFUL!!! I imagine you are NOT selling him, huh?

Jessi

Something interesting I read somewhere online (maybe the equine color forum?) is that some brindle horses have actually been proven to be chimera, that is they have the DNA of two individuals that fused together very early on in the pregnancy. The two individuals (twins) would have been two different colors so when they fused together they made a striped horse. I thought that was pretty amazing to think about. The way it was discovered was that offspring were not matching up with the DNA that the parent had been tested to have. I wonder how many chimeras are out there that you can distiguish because the twins would have been the same color?
default_unsure.png
:

That is so cool!!!! And what a pretty horse!!! I think your idea of trying to breed a striped palomino is awesome.......I`ll take three!!!!!!!! :lol: :aktion033:

Oh my gosh, that article is fascinating . :new_shocked: I never knew anything like that happened. Wow.

WOW :new_shocked: And we thought color and DNA were issues before -- what a twist this is
default_wacko.png
:

In reality, it seems that any color horse could be chimeric (sp?) if the twin thing evolved like this. Very odd and interesting. I'd name that foal "A Piece of the Puzzle" :bgrin

WOW, I would have bet money he was a dun if I didnt' know his parents weren't!! That is WILD! LOVE it, he's BEAUTIFUL!!! I imagine you are NOT selling him, huh?

Jessi

Thank you so much. Yup, he's a keeper for sure. My porch wouldn't look the same without him sleeping there every afternoon :lol:

Something interesting I read somewhere online (maybe the equine color forum?) is that some brindle horses have actually been proven to be chimera,
That's fascinating. Now I want to check his DNA as well as his color hehehe
default_yes.gif
: Maybe I could register him with two names. HEHEHHE gives new meaning to "go play with yourself". I can just see myself going out to putting him to bed at night yelling "Ozy, Fred, come on guy" HAHAHAHHAA. Way too cool. Seriously, going to read up more on these Chimeras. :aktion033:

He is Gorgeous!!!
default_wub.png
:

Just wanted to share a couple pics of a Brindle QH stallion, "DunBars Gold"

Brindles are very cool, it will be interesting to see if your little guy gets more stripes as he ages!

DunBarsGoldBrindleQH.jpg

DunBarsGoldBrindleQH2.jpg

Nancy

Oh gosh, Dunbars Gold is stunning DROOL !!!

A quick follow up from today. Dr. Sponenberg was telling me this morning that Ozy has the "excess striping" occasionally seen on some very wildly marked duns, but he's not a dun. At the same time I got an e-mail from a gal involved in the UCDavis study to develop a test for dun. There is a theory being worked on that the really wildly marked duns (those with loads of stripes ) are being influenced by the smutty/sooty gene + dun and she is going to be submitting Ozy for the study.

Just something interesting for those of you with duns. See if you can find a wildly marked horse like Oz and breed to a dun who seems to always throw duns...be way cool to see what's thrown :new_shocked:

Color genetics are so cool
default_yes.gif
:

That quarter horse, Dunbars Gold, is just amazing!!! WHAT a sight! WOW.
default_wub.png
:

Something interesting I read somewhere online (maybe the equine color forum?) is that some brindle horses have actually been proven to be chimera, that is they have the DNA of two individuals that fused together very early on in the pregnancy. The two individuals (twins) would have been two different colors so when they fused together they made a striped horse. I thought that was pretty amazing to think about. The way it was discovered was that offspring were not matching up with the DNA that the parent had been tested to have. I wonder how many chimeras are out there that you can distiguish because the twins would have been the same color?
default_unsure.png
:
I read that too. It was an interesting article involving QH's. What a pretty color that little guy is and such a pretty face too.
default_wub.png
:

Edited to say: I just read the rest of the posts. I see you have the article and photos. He is very pretty.
default_smile.png

That is neat that your little guy gets to be a part of that study! Very cool!

I wanted to add for those who aren't reading the articles that Dunbar's Gold is one of the brindle horses proven to be a chimera. Those awesome stripes are from the 2 different DNAs he has.

Latest posts

Back