talked to a grain rep today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkle

Reaction score
I know I've asked for help with my feeding program before, but I need just a liiiiiittle more help.
default_wacko.png
:

As a quick refresher...I work at a tack shop and we sell Poulin and Nutrena feed. I couldn't take it anymore as I want to be sure my girls are getting just what they need, so today I ended up talking to the Poulin rep directly. I've heard rave things about him and he did seem knowledgable, but I wanted to double check something....

HiDee, my 3 yr old (@ 33"), had been cut down to 1 cup (measuring cup) of Poulin Development (14%p/4%f) per day w/ a handful of BOSS. She's pretty much on a dry lot w/ minimal grazing...basically whatever can grow in a 24 hour period w/out them getting to it. She gets 1 flake of 1st cut hay per day.

Here's a current pic...

HideetrotR.jpg

This is what Andrew (grain rep) recommended...

He said that she should be switched to one cup of MVP a day. The hay/grazing can stay the same and the BOSS is fattening, but if I wanted to keep it, maybe to cut it back a little.

This is what their website says about MVP.....

* EQUI-PROâ„¢ MVPâ„¢ Supplement is a scientifically formulated feeding system, for all classes of horses.

* EQUI-PRO™ MVP™ balances nutrient profiles of unfortified grains, allows for feeding program flexibility and use of bulk grains. A high quality source of minerals, vitamins and protein, it’s pelleted for ease, accurate feeding and mixing.

* EQUI-PROâ„¢ MVPâ„¢ is an excellent supplement for horses on hay and/or pasture.

MVPâ„¢ Pellet

Crude Protein (Min) 27.0 %

Crude Fat (Min) 4.00 %

Crude Fiber (Max) 7.00 %

Calcium (Min) 3.00 %

Calcium (Max) 3.50 %

Phosphorus (Min) 1.70 %

Zinc (Min) 600 PPM

Copper (Min) 200 PPM

Vitamin A (Min) 25,000 IU/lb

Vitamin E (Min) 525 IU/LB

Selenium (Min) 2.75 PPM

Now I remember some people on here questioning her being on a 14% feed and suggested dropping her to a 10-12% instead. I did mention that to him, too. He said not to be scared w/ the protein content because if you feed the right amount, in addition to her hay, etc, she'll be fine. He said that people tend to get scared away by the protein content and they really shouldn't (if done correctly).

In addition, he recommended that my yearling filly be switched to one cup of Development and one cup of MVP per day. I've had her on a little more than two cups per day (plus BOSS) and he said that I could've safely given her 3. I think that Sparkle is at an okay weight. She certainly isn't overweight and I don't see any signs of her being underweight either.

Here's a current pic of her (bad angle, sorry)...

sparklerun2R.jpg

So now...after all that....am I worrying too much?? Does anyone else feed a grain w/ that high of protein? It really sounds like the guy knows what he's talking about and this IS what he does for a living. I feel kinda bad second guessing him, but we're supposed to second guess things, right??
default_unsure.png
:

I KNOW that conditioning would make a difference and I do what I can, when I can. With 2 kids on summer vacation and a toddler daughter...I have to sneak in any sessions.
default_shutup.gif
:

I appreciate ANY and ALL advice given. After this, I think I'll be all set for a while!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

IMHO, and I am not a feed guru by any means, but think that is WAY too much protein. Your black mare looks overweight. My mares get NO grain unless they are nursing or late pregnant.... and they hate me.... :lol: but they are fat on just pasture! My geldings get less than a handful( no pasture, drylot for them), and my stallions get one cup simply becasue they pace constantly when turned out.

Lucy

The MVP pellet sounds like a ration balancer (quality protein, vit and mineral) and meant to be fed with hay; only adding grain if extra calories are needed. I think it sounds like a good idea. Don't let the high protein level scare you, it makes up a very small portion of the diet, when you consider the hay into the total protein for the day.

I feed Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass formula (30% protein), a ration balancer, and grass hay to all my minis. The amount of the PN pellets I feed depends on the age and appropriate weight of the mini in question.

For example:

Misty, 3 year old, 37" mare (~350#) - gets 1/2 pound of PN per day plus grass hay. [1/2 pound is about 1.5 cups per day - 1 cup = 5 oz pellets].

Tana - yearling 35" filly (~200) - gets 1.25 pounds of PN per day (she just had a decrease when she went over 12 months old, she was on 1.5#) plus grass hay.

[weights determined using formula with heartgirth and length measurement].

Edited to add a couple of pictures.

Here's Misty the week before I brought her home (May 2005) - in all her chubby glory.
default_smile.png

misty4.jpg

Here's Misty about one month after I brought her home - after she had been on the Progressive diet balancer and free choice grass hay for about 4 weeks. - as you can see she has dropped some poundage

Misty-june32005-fullside.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I remember some people on here questioning her being on a 14% feed and suggested dropping her to a 10-12% instead. I did mention that to him, too. He said not to be scared w/ the protein content because if you feed the right amount, in addition to her hay, etc, she'll be fine. He said that people tend to get scared away by the protein content and they really shouldn't (if done correctly).
This is absolutely true and I agree with everything the Poulin rep told you. Protein % has to be averaged across the whole diet. A cup of the MVP probably weighs less then 5 ounces, so at 10 ounces daily is bumping up the average protein of the hay and limited grazing so that the diet is probably only in the 12-14% range overall, maybe even less. It's hard for some folks to understand this concept, such that the ration balancers in the 25-32% range often scare people off. WHEN FED CORRECTLY, this is a perfectly fine diet for most miniatures and is what I feed to my own (using Purina Born To Win because that's what I have access to). You'll likely find that on this lowered starch/sugar diet (when the ration balancer is fed without the addition of oats or other grains) that your horses will start to gradually lose weight and shape up a bit through the belly.

For your tubbies, keep the BOSS down to 1/4 cup per day - no more, so that's probably just 1 handful per day instead of 2. It is high in fat.

Glad you found someone knowledgeable to consult with locally. Sounds like this guy knows what he is talking about -- it's not everyday that you'll run across a feed rep that gives good advice about feeding a mini!

Robin C

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back