tail bags

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielleee

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone knows anywhere or anyone who makes good quality tail bags. My stallions tail is dragging a few inches on the ground now and collecting all kinds of "treasures" and I want to keep it nice lol I posted on a tack facebook page but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask here.

Also does anyone have a way to thin out a horse's mane? my mares mane is the thickest ive ever seen on any horse and when it gets hot i feel like its like a sweater on her neck so I thought maybe trying thinning it out this year.

When you clip her, you can undercut or over cut it with your clippers. Either way you'll have a mess when it grows out but you can use the winter months for that. You can also get some terry cloth scrunchies and make little pony tails along the very top of the mane in the summertime. Not laying down on the side of the neck, I am saying bring them UP on top of the mane. That way the air will get underneath it.

As for tailbags: I'm cheap so I don't buy tailbags. I use kid's tube socks.

Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=p14q4wWxMio

Ditto to the tube socks. I always used those for the full sized horses. Just cut 4 strips on the top, braid the clean tail, stuff it in & tie it through the braid. We don't have any sock laying around this year, so if you have any sewing skills at all, it's pretty easy to make a colorful tube, that's what I'm doing. We currently have blues clues & the Grinch... I like free fabric
default_yes.gif

Thanks for the suggestion of scrunchies Marty, I also have a couple thick manes to try to keep up this summer...

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use tube socks-mostly the odd ones of the pair that the washer didn't eat.Just take sock and cut top down several places so you have 4 strings made from top of sock.Stuff clean tail in bag and weave and tie 4 parts into tail hair and make a knot.take out and brush every 3-5 days and re do.Cheap and easy to wash.Make several so you can put on a clean 1 when you re do tail.

Yes I do know someone... contact the guys at Piece of Me Miniature Appaloosas - they are located in CA. They have a friend close by that makes the tailbags and they are quite reasonable too. All different colors.

Latest posts

Back