Growth Rate of Horse Tail?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grandpa's (I call Nicky Grandpa because he's such a grandpa) tail looks about like the first top left photo. I guess that isn't so bad.

Good idea on pictures, I'll try to get a pic of Molly's tail job, and even if I don't get it posted, I ll have it for my own records. I did scissor roach her mane last night, except for her forelock and a handfull on her shoulder. Doesn't look any worse than her tail.

I finally got around to measuring Nicky's tail. From the base, it's a pretty firm 16-inches.

I also tried to measure the two girls. I got side-tracked with horsey-kisses. Plus, they're harder to measure because their tails aren't "straight-cut" across the bottom like Nicky's currently is.

(The husband and I got in an argument about Nicky's "whooz-its"... that's what my husband calls his male parts The husband thinks that Nicky's "package" will be more vulnerable to cold, because we chopped Nicky's tail so short. I opined that the tail doesn't protect/warm the horses' private parts ...and offered to test the theory on the husband with some ice cubes. The husband declined, vigorously.)

I'm not using anything on his tail, because I somehow have this idea that hair is "dead." So slathering "stuff" on "dead" hair is not going to make a difference. We'll see what happens. I'll report back in 6 months.

AngC---tell hubby not to worry about the "package" getting cold, if it gets too cold he'll just pull it up closer to the body. Years ago, I bought back a pony I'd sold as a weanling. A horse-dealer we knew called one winter day and asked if we were interested. Well he'd had such distinctive markings, and the price was right, so she hauled him over. In the 3 years he was gone, he'd been broke to ride and drive, and (I thought, because nothing was showing, gelded). But he was just keeping them warm, because a couple weeks later when the weather warmed up, I went to the barn and he definitely had a pair so big I was amazed he could hide them. Went on to sire several nice colts, before I had him gelded.

Got a picture of Molly's unfortunate tail trim, will try to post soon.

Trying to upload a photo of Nicky's chopped-off tail.

It's not working. How do other people get photos into posts.???

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 29654

I found this photo in shared media. I can't figure out how to get Nicky's chopped-off-tail photo into the "shared media" and/or into a post. The hubby's kind of cute kissing Baby, though, isn't he?

I give up; probably no one was too interested in seeing Nicky's shortened tail anyway.

See, I either like a short old style quarter horse tail, or a long flow-y one that looks like it's off the cover of a romance novel - no inbetween.

If he's stocky, why not consider trimming his tail like an old western quarter horse, and pulling his mane accordingly too? That would look AWESOME on the right horse, maybe take some pictures in a silver halter?

Oo! One more thought, why not do him up as a draft horse if you do t like the old style QH? Braid his tail into a bun and decorate his mane real nice!

Funny you should mention doing like a draft horse. After Molly got her tail radically shortened, I cut her mane off, except for forelock, and she does look drafty.. She looks like she gained 20-30# and looks like a mini draft horse. The short tail makes her butt look wider, and the roached mane makes her neck look thicker,

I found this photo in shared media. I can't figure out how to get Nicky's chopped-off-tail photo into the "shared media" and/or into a post. The hubby's kind of cute kissing Baby, though, isn't he?

I give up; probably no one was too interested in seeing Nicky's shortened tail anyway.
Love his markings!!

Love his markings!!
The husband's markings? (chuckle) (sorry, lame joke.)

That's Baby. She's a she. That's a baby picture. She inherited half of Nicky's spots. (Nicky's the one in my avatar photo.) Baby has since lightened up so much that sometimes I wonder if she won't be a real appaloosa. Her spots stay; the rest is subject to change with each season. Love it!

I spent a half hour or so dinking around trying to get a photo into a post here on the forum. I bombed.

I vaguely recollect that there's an issue with IPBoard and IE11? ...or maybe not. I gave up. I stuck a photo of Nicky (aka Bucktail Bob) here: http://horseyhouse.com/

Nicky is actually looking GREAT and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that barn!

And probably the best recipe for the tail? TIME.

And yes, a "costume" that incorporated his short tail would work great at this time of year and that could include some draft poses. He looks like a "Sugar Bush" draft horse, except I can't remember if they had the docked tails or not. HA - they do!

"Sugar Bush - 1"

"Sugar Bush - 2"

and the site that had the 2nd image - Drafts with Dots - it's another site for me to go out and read. I love learning new things and hadn't heard of the "Sugar Bush" horse until just a couple of years ago. Looks like this site hasn't been updated in a while - from about the time I first saw/heard of this horse, but the opening paragraph (s) on the page are very intriguing....

Nicky thanks you for admiring him, paintponylvr.

The Sugar Bush horses are quite handsome. I love draft horses; but, they're way too large for me. There's a Friesian I adore, named Mystic Warrior. I can't find his owners' home page ...so no link.

But in my dreams, Nicky looks like Lancelot: http://dressur-design.de/pferde.html
That is the Fabio of horses.

I too like flowing manes/tails like FurstPlaceMiniatures and that horse is a romance novel cover candidate!

The barn came with the property; it's designed for full-size horses. What's really cute is that I close the top doors and leave the bottom doors open; our little goobers like to stand in the doorway and look out. What's even cuter is that the barn was going to be my husband's wood-working shop.

Rubbing stuff on the hair to make it grow is pointless because yes, the hair itself is dead. The idea is to rub stuff into the skin --stimulate the hair follicle and you may stimulate hair growth.

Does it really work? Sometimes, with certain "stuff"

I also LOVE watching that little guy perform (Lancelot)! He's a fun little guy and she's done an awesome job with him.

The barn is similar to what we have now - except that part of ours is a hay storage area, the largest part currently houses equipment and lots of harness - not sorted out properly yet and the last "wee" area (very narrow) is used to store our feed - for the Jr mares. The feed area has a full size door on it - with a latch that has a hay string attached. It can be shut while inside and then still opened (a good thing). That middle section has top and bottom doors but our taller shetlands have to "duck" to go under. Right now, I'd prefer that they weren't inside. The hay section only has a bottom door and doesn't look like there was ever a top door built/hung. Don't think it's ever been fully painted. And our "barn" was inherited w/ our purchase, too.
default_yes.gif

15oct18house175605.jpg

15aug24house0867.jpg

I might actually have portable hooped shelters up in each pasture by full winter this year... Maybe. Actually w/ plenty of hay and the different trees to shelter behind/under - the only ones I'd be "worried" about are the boys - "their" trees don't have leaves during the winter, while the girls' pines keep an amazing amount of rain, snow and ice off of them. The boys will be the first to get shelters...

Latest posts

Back