Sx on Breast Lump

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PromiseAcres

Reaction score
On October 2, I (who am just 30) had a mammogram and U/S because I'd found a lump in my right breast. Fortunatly nothing was seen but my Dr is reccommending removal. I don't see the surgeon for consult until the 21st this month. But I'm getting really curious about what my down time will be, and how invasive this potentially could be, unfortunatley the lump is just a little smaller than a golf ball...

I just was hoping that anyone out there that's had a similar procedure could maybe tell me about it. My DH is working 6-7 days a week (he can take time off unpaid for this), I am the caretaker of my darling 13 mo old son and caretaker of all of critters including 6 minis. I also work 3 days a week at a vet clinic, who is willing to work with me on time off. My DH had 2 small lumps removed from his neck (benign) 18 mos ago and the crazy dr told him to go to work in 2 days with a drain in... he is a very physical farm/construction equip. mechanic who works on dirty equip... but this is a different dr/surgeon that I'll be having do my procedure.

Thanks for all info. and thoughts.

Danielle

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one too, and I have nearly the same situation as you. My surgeon recommended an U/S assisted vacuum removal of the lump which is an outpatient procedure, local anesthetic, minimally invasive. From what he told me you just have to ice your breast for a day or too, take Tylenol as needed and watch what you lift for a week or so, but you can live your life normally. Only thing....I haven't gotten it done, yet

I was just curious to whether these are benign lumps? And if so, why the doctors want to remove them.

My mother had a lump and went in for a mammogram. Her doctor felt that it was benign, and had her wait a couple of months for a re-check. It took a couple of months, but it eventually went away. The doctor told her that most likely, she had injured her breast, and caused a lump sized bruise in the tissue...even though there was no visible bruising of any kind and she didn't remember doing anything to it.
default_unsure.png

The lump I have is suspected to be benign since it didn't even show up on the mammogram or U/S, but can't say for sure until the biopsy. My Dr has seen this in other women who've recently stopped nursing, maybe related maybe not. But mine has definatly grown in the 8 weeks I've had it. Which to me it makes sense to remove it while it's smaller even if it's nothing. Plus I'm one of those "lucky" people who has been qualified for "cheaper" cobra health insurance which ends in January.... While I'm looking into other options for heatlh insurance well I'd rather get it done before it runs out
default_wacko.png

Thanks for your comments.

Danielle

My brother's cobra insurance is also ending, and he was supposed to have knee surgery (they're dragging their feet). So I can definately see why you'd want to get it removed while you're still covered. I didn't realize about the nursing part the first time I read your post (it's been one of those mornings). Haha.

I had what sounds like similar surgery back in 1991. Mine was to remove calcifications in the breast, but a lump about that size was removed. Local anesthesia, outpatient basis, I think I did miss a couple days of work, but was back doing pretty much everything very soon. The hardest part was waiting for the biopsy results - which showed it was benign. What they forget to tell you is that your breast can regenerate tissue to fill in the lump that is removed...

Good luck!

I had a LARGE breast biopsy, really large 19 years ago. Ice it down, rest up for a day or two, be careful not to lift heavy objects or a child for a few days. In my case I did have a modified Radical mastectomy afterwards.

I must add this.

ALL lumps should be considered dangerous until proven(BIOPSIED) as negative.

So says the AMERICAN Cancer Society.

Lots of Doctors say watch and wait. They are WRONG and full of CRAP. If it was them or a loved one you can bet your butt they wouldn't watch and wait.

Yes, sometimes luck prevails and a lump goes away, most likely a cyst. But it should be checked out!

By the way, not all breast biopsies are "open" biopsies. Some are "stereotactic".... a tiny needle biopsy. I have had them also, they are no big deal. I went back to work the next day with a bandaid and a bruise.

I am a breast cancer SURVIVOR since 1990.

Robin

I agree 100% with you on your comments about lumps. I'm very glad my Dr is being proactive about this. You are an inspiration to ALL women. I have some family who will hopefully be able to come help after surgery, am anxious to just get it over with at this time.

Sincerely

Danielle

I had a LARGE breast biopsy, really large 19 years ago. Ice it down, rest up for a day or two, be careful not to lift heavy objects or a child for a few days. In my case I did have a modified Radical mastectomy afterwards.I must add this.

ALL lumps should be considered dangerous until proven(BIOPSIED) as negative.

So says the AMERICAN Cancer Society.

Lots of Doctors say watch and wait. They are WRONG and full of CRAP. If it was them or a loved one you can bet your butt they wouldn't watch and wait.

Yes, sometimes luck prevails and a lump goes away, most likely a cyst. But it should be checked out!

By the way, not all breast biopsies are "open" biopsies. Some are "stereotactic".... a tiny needle biopsy. I have had them also, they are no big deal. I went back to work the next day with a bandaid and a bruise.

I am a breast cancer SURVIVOR since 1990.

Robin

Yes, I had this done back in college and the lump turned out to be benign. It was quite ugly for awhile but it wasn't horribly painful, healed relatively quickly, and left only a minimal scar. Not a big deal, thank goodness!

I found a lump this past winter. My GP packed me up right away to the local grand poo-ba on such matters: an oncologist/radioligist who ONLY does breasts/breast cancer. I was pretty freaked out although my GP said it was probably a cyst at worst, but anytime a 30 year old woman shows up with a big lump, they have to treat it like it's DEFCON 1.

After quite a bit of image work and physical examination she decided it was just a fatty deposit. Sent me on my way with the promise that it would go away in a few months.

She actually asked if I had suddenly put on or lost a lot of weight. Which I hadn't, but I HAD had knee surgery, had complications and had a lot of atrophy in my leg. So while my weight had not changed, I KNEW my body fat % had rapidly changed. She said it was probably just my body shuffling fat stores around and some had ended up temporarily in the breast (charming) Not uncommon in patients who had had a rapid body mass composition change (learn something new everyday!)

It went away in a month or two.

Robin, you are so right. I too have survived Breast Cancer not once but twice. I'm out 12.5 years with the right side and 3.5 with the left side.

Any lump should be reguarded as positve until determined to be nothing. I had a history of cysts so my primary care physician wanted to want 3 months when he found the lump after a clean mammogram report. I believe waiting the 3 months increased the number of lymph nodes that were involved which caused my first treatment to be very involved--mastectomy, 4 chemo treatments, a stem cell transplant and radiation--my oncologist is one who believes in agressive treatment and so am I--that is part of the reason I believe I'm still here.

My oncologist was somewhat stunned that I had a lump appear in the other breast 9 1/2 years later as she always said if I had a recurrance it would be a bone cancer. The two tumors were not related what so ever after they were biopsied. The second time I did not have any lymph nodes involved but she did say chemo was a good option so I did 4 again. From the time I found the lump in the left breast till I was in the operating room was a week and I was finished with treatment within 12 weeks.

I still see my oncologist once a year and she is fixing to retire which saddens me as I credit her with me still being on this earth today. She told me recently that there have been such strides with Breast Cancer that the stem cell transplant I had just 12 years ago is not longer seen as a good course of treatment any longer.

Ladies, I can't stress enough to do your self examinations. Neither of my tumors were caught with mammography--they were caught through actual breast exams--the first by my physician when I was called in to discuss the mammogram report and the second one by me. If you have been told you have dense breast tissue--self examination is doublely important.

Take it from someone who has survived this twice and watched a daughter-in-law fight this battle as well. Be your own best advocate and insist on prompt testing if you suspect or find a lump. We want you here for the long run.

Robin, glad to see you are a long term survivor as well--CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for everyone sharing. It means a lot to me... that strangers would take time out of their busy schedules to answer my questions. If you want I'll keep you all up dated and maybe someone somewhere can benefit from my experiences. I raise my glass to each and everyone of you.

Take care

Danielle

Danielle, please keep us posted--you have a great support system here on the forum. I know Robin probably thinks the same way I do--if my story can help one woman catch breast cancer in the early stages or even avoid it by early testing--then telling my story is well worth it.

If you have a family history of breast cancer it might be very well worth the time and expense to have the genetic testing done for the BRAC gene. There was an article in one of the Ladies' magazines about a family that the mother had passed from breast cancer and one of 4 daughter had been diagonised (sp) with it--the other sisters were tested for the gene and 3 of the 4 sisters had the gene. They were able to form a plan of treatment before a lump was discovered.

When I was 13 I found 2 lumps in my left breast.

One was a larger bean type shape the other was a large dimple. I was also a DD cup, so I thought it was just 'lumpy breasts' or perhaps cysts since I was younger. I was super scared as my Mom had breasts tumors removed previously (benign), though there is not a history of breast cancer in my family.

I had the mamo. and the sono. and they didn't find anything on the scans. The 'lumps', esp. the bean one you can feel directly under the skin - yet nothing showed on the scan.

They told me I needed to have them removed and biopsied. That was 9 years ago and I have ignored them, but yet.. I feel guilty. I monitor them every day and they have not changed / grown, etc..
default_unsure.png

As for my Mom, who did have the breast lumps removal in 1997, they suspected cancer going in and coming out they were benign. It was an in and out surgery.. Easy on the work load and lifting for a few days. Lots of ice and ibuprofen. I remember helping her with bandages (no stitches or staples, but the butterfly bandages) and was really suprised about the amount of bruising on her breast.

Best wishes!!

Well I finally saw the surgeon today. He wants it out, ON Friday!
default_new_shocked.gif
Which is good and bad, but no matter what we'll get thru it. I've been making arrangments for child care and horse care and ME care. So send some prayers or happy thoughts my way on Friday!

Good For You!!!! I know that whatever the outcome you will be strong and get through this. We are here to help and supprot you. It is good that you already have help in place for your family and the horses. My best friend (like the sister I don't have) was a god send during my first surgery and recovery. She was here every day and took care of the horses for me and that allowed my youngest son who was still at home to help me and keep the house running as best it could with him in school and working. That went on for almost 4 months--between the surgery, chemo treatments, a stem cell transplant that required 3 weeks in the hospital and through radiation. She was an absolute jewel and god send--we have been friends for over 30 years now.

Now it is time for me to give back a little of what she did for me as she is going to have knee replacement surgery in November so I'll do what I need to for her.

Keep us informed. You will be in my thoughts and prayers on Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its friday. Good luck, I will be thinking of you! Please let us know. You have a lot of support here. Several of us have been there. Hopefully everything will be fine, please God!

Hugs,

Robin

Well I survived. I'm sore but ice helps. I mentally feel great now that it's over. Dr said he'd never seen anything quite like it??? But we'll just wait and see should have biopsy results in 7-10 days. Miss my little boy who is staying with friends for w few days. And hubby has some time off so it's nice to be with him as he's been working 16-20hr days lately, thankfully his boss is being very understanding. Thanks Danielle

So glad that you are doing well and that this is behind you!!

I found one lump on my own last Dec (at age 32) and mentioned it to my doc when I was in for my annual. He sent me for a mammo where they found several more lumps. Followed up with a diagnostic mammo and then biopsies. Turns out mine are benign--fibroadenomas. No reason to take them out since they would likely come back. None the less it was quite scary. I am so glad yours was handled quickly and that you have had a lot of support.

Danielle, I know that until you get the results you will be under stress. No news is good news and until the report is in just relax and recover. So glad to hear that things are moving quickly.

Time now to just take care of yourself and heal up. For now enjoy the extra time with your Hubby and I now you will be glad to see you little one in a day or two.

Rooting for a good report to come you way. Keep us posted.

Latest posts

Back