Swollen stifle?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbrown

Reaction score
Today I noticed that Skip's left stifle appears swollen. I'm not sure how recent this is, as I haven't been to the barn since Tuesday (but on Tuesday I know it was normal, as I clipped that area and would have noticed if something was unusual). She's not lame from what I can tell, the area wasn't hot to the touch, and she didn't react at all when I put pressure on and around the swelling. It's not hard or firm. The vet is out Monday for spring shots, and I will have her look at it, but wanted to see if anyone here has any thoughts... what this could be, or what might have caused it... or what I can do about it! My first thought was a locking stifle issue since so many minis seem to have that problem, but to the best of my knowledge, Skip has never had a locked stifle. Perhaps it's a kick injury?? Any insight would be much appreciated!!

Here is the right stifle, which looks normal...

stifle normal.jpg

And the left:

swollen stifle.jpg

I have no ideas, but having recently dealt with a stifle injury I hope that is NOT what you having going on here. Hopefully the vet has been out and given you some answers. Good luck.

Thank you both. I hope it's not a serious injury... I am really hoping it's not, since it really does just seem to be some swelling, and nothing else. Fingers crossed it is just a bruise. I'll try hosing it and see what happens. Vet is out tomorrow, so hopefully she'll be able to tell if it's anything to be worried about.

Injuries of the inside of the joint (which are the bad ones) rarely show swelling to the outside discernible to the layman.

Likely a trauma to the outside of the leg, ie; kicked or ran out a door and smacked it.

As long as lameness is not evident, then not likely a problem.

Dr Taylor

Thanks, Dr. Taylor- I am feeling much better now! Will let you all know what the vet says bright and early tomorrow morning.

I had to leave the barn early this morning, as the vet was late and I was late for work, so I didn't get to hear the vet's advice or ask her questions... But the vet did have a look, and confirmed that it isn't anything serious. She prescribed more stifle-strengthening exercises like poles (as a preventative for future stifle issues, I'm presuming). Whew! I keep Skip relatively in shape, do a lot of hill work, and occasionally do poles, so I'll be dragging the poles out more often
default_smile.png

On a related note, does anyone know if jumping is good or bad for stifles?

Update to add.... I found the culprit- a tick!! Actually, my neighbor found it. I was telling her about Skip's stifle when I went over to use her lovely outdoor arena, and she was able to find a teeny tiny bump that I'm 99% sure is from a tick. My barn owner and I both felt around for a tick or bite bump, but didn't find anything. Now, of course, I'm worried about lyme and ehrlichia, since many horses in the area have come down with tick-borne illnesses, so I will be keeping a close eye on her. (And if anyone has foolproof tick repelling strategies, would love to hear them! The ticks are just awful here, even when I use tick-repelling flyspray)

Latest posts

Back