Switching to a "balancer"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
After some thought and concferring with my vet, I'm considering a switch to a "balancer" feed instead of a "regular" feed.

The options I have are balancer products by Nutrena, Purina, McCauley's and Pennfield.

If anyone would care to give their feedback on using a balancer and/or specificially balancers by these manufacturers, I loved to hear about it.

I was using a balancer up til last year when the price got too high, I switched to an extruded feed fed at a low amount. I liked the balancer, and my horses did pretty good on it, but our hay is too inconsistant to feed a balancer formulated for a specific forage type. [i was feeding a grass balancer, but our hay sometimes has too much alfalfa content to be fed with a grass formula balancer.] Actually, I'm currently feeding 3 different feeds: the girls all get the extruded feed and are doing well; my senior stallion is on senior; and the other boys are on a low starch/sugar pellet (all fed with hay or pasture).

I fed Progressive Nutrition balancer, so don't have any experience with any of hte brands you mentioned.

So far I'm liking Progressive Nutrition's ProAdvantage Grass. Higher cost per bag but you don't feed a lot of it.

I've only had experience with Progressive Nutrition, but I LOVE their Balancers. Sorry, I'm no help with the brands you mentioned.

I'm a big fan of Balancers even though most of my horses aren't currently on one. The price was getting to be a problem. I've used Progressive Nutrition products for some years now and love them.

I have a yearling colt who was having leg issues in January. I'd been feeding him to get his weight and condition up, and was feeding a variety of products. He started having leg problems and I talked to one of the Nutritionists at Progressive. He had me put him on Progressive's Grass Balancer, grass hay and Rejuvenaide. I was really concerned the colt would lose weight and condition, but amazingly, he started looking better all over. His legs improved and he looks great. No grain in his diet and i wouldn't take much to have him show ring ready.

What I like about Balancers, is that they are formulated for any stage and any lifestyle of horse. From the very young to the very old. While I have no experience with the ones you mentioned, as long as they have the right formula and balance of protein, vitamins and minerals, I think you will be happy with the results.

I was also on the balancer bandwagon for a while and had no real complaints. I fed Purina Born to Win, now called "Enrich 32" with pastures and good quality hay. If I had anyone that needed any extra calories I would supplement it with food. (Keep in mind, a ration balancer is not food...its a bunch of vitamins and minerals). So if you have a working horse or a breeding horse you should add a feed to it. I liked the concept of feeding this balancer a lot until the price went off the charts at over $20.00 a bag and then refused to buy anymore. As stated above, you should be aware that if you have a bad hay year, it may not be the way to go.

Thanks for the input everyone. In our area, hay did get scarce this past year, but I was lucky to be able to have access to a good supply. I feed a grass/alfalfa mix. They're slowly being introduced back into the pasture, currently with muzzles. I'd also like to cut out the night feeding I'm doing, with the exception of our hardkeeper (who will remain on her current ration of Omolene 300, because that's simply the only thing she'll eat). None of mine are being worked hard and no one is being bred. Based on their current conditions, no one needs any extra calories but I'd like to continue to feed them something to ensure they're getting a balance of vitamins and minerals.

I thought I'd add the protein, fat and fiber contents of the balancers I have access to to see how it compares to the ones you are all feeding. Listed in order of protein, fat and fiber:

Nutrena: 30, 5, 8

Pennfield: 26, 3, 8

Purina: 32, 5, 5.5

McCauley's: 30, 5, 6

Triple Crown: 30, 5, 6

Right now, I'm feeding Purina's Miniature/Pony feed. At .5 lbs per day, per horse, I'm averaging nearly 2 bags of feed a month at roughly $30-35. If I remember accurately, I'd be feeding about .25 a day of the balancer, which would be less than one bag per month. The last time I bought a balancer feed, it was around $30. I need to check with my mill to see what the current costs are for these brands they carry.

I would like to experiment with this over the spring/summer/fall months and see how it goes. The worst that can happen is that I need to switch back to a traditional pelleted feed.

I love love love ration balancers. I think it is the perfect compliment to good quality hay/grass, especially for minis and ponies as they have little to no sugars ans starches. My guys are in very good flesh (too good coming off winter). I really can't imagine feeding regular "grain"; they'd be butterballs lol. My guys get lots of good, grassy hay with a bit of alfalfa in it and .50lbs. of Gro n Win/ day (Levi and Kainan, my yearlings, get 1lb./day.

As for the comment that a balancer is just vitamins and minerals, that's not true. There is flax, alfalfa meal, wheat middlings etc., in addition to the vitamins and minerals it provides. If any extra calories are needed they have a product called Ultimate Finish that you just use as a top dressing (a high fat dressing). Did I say I love my Gro n Win? lol

http://www.gro-n-win.com/product-info/gro-'n-win/product-details.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input everyone. In our area, hay did get scarce this past year, but I was lucky to be able to have access to a good supply. I feed a grass/alfalfa mix. They're slowly being introduced back into the pasture, currently with muzzles. I'd also like to cut out the night feeding I'm doing, with the exception of our hardkeeper (who will remain on her current ration of Omolene 300, because that's simply the only thing she'll eat). None of mine are being worked hard and no one is being bred. Based on their current conditions, no one needs any extra calories but I'd like to continue to feed them something to ensure they're getting a balance of vitamins and minerals.

I thought I'd add the protein, fat and fiber contents of the balancers I have access to to see how it compares to the ones you are all feeding. Listed in order of protein, fat and fiber:

Nutrena: 30, 5, 8

Pennfield: 26, 3, 8

Purina: 32, 5, 5.5

McCauley's: 30, 5, 6

Triple Crown: 30, 5, 6

Right now, I'm feeding Purina's Miniature/Pony feed. At .5 lbs per day, per horse, I'm averaging nearly 2 bags of feed a month at roughly $30-35. If I remember accurately, I'd be feeding about .25 a day of the balancer, which would be less than one bag per month. The last time I bought a balancer feed, it was around $30. I need to check with my mill to see what the current costs are for these brands they carry.

I would like to experiment with this over the spring/summer/fall months and see how it goes. The worst that can happen is that I need to switch back to a traditional pelleted feed.
I'm only familiar with Triple Crown, Nutrena, and Purina of the ones you mentioned; and of those three I know, I'd pick Triple Crown, every time. If expense is a consideration, you'll probably be spending about the same monthly to feed a ration balancer as you are now, if the $30-35/month is accurate, as most ration balancers are $30-35/bag (some higher, a few lower).

Ration balancers got too expensive for me when they hit $35/bag; I go through 3 bags/month for maintenance on 12 minis (3 A-size, 9 B-size); and 4-5 bags when I have breeding stock and growing horses. And, I still had to have senior for my senior stallion.

I pay $40 per 50# bag! But my Shetland gelding only gets a touch over half a pound so it's not that much...

I love Triple Crown 30% Supplement, I've been feeding it for years! I would highly recommend it, my guys who are easy keepers get 1/4 cup a day (split into morning and evening feedings).

After speaking with the equine rep at our local mill, I'm going to try the McCauley M30 brand. It's a little higher in cost but still right at $30 so about the same or even less than what I'm spending a month on the Purina Mini/Pony feed. I like the idea that this balancer is manufactured in a plant that is used soley for horse feed production. I'll be purchasing a bag tomorrow and starting the slow switch to the balancer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back