Swimming Pools

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimfessel5

Reaction score
I want your opinion on whether you think this is a safe

practice or not.

A friend of mine is the Manger of a local Swim Complex and he was

telling me last night that he uses Clorox Bleach from the Jug

instead of "traditional" pool products ie. chlorine tablets, or shock,

because it's cheaper.

He went on further to say that it's the same ingredients, just in a liquid form?

I just don't think that this can be safe to swim in, as it looks like it

would/could damage your eyes, dry your skin, fade your swimming suits more than

something labeled for that use???

What do you all think??

Having been in the swimming pool service and repair for over 30 yrs, your friend is not doing his pool or his customers pools any service. Liquid "chlorine", slo tabs, fas-tabs, and sticks are all buffered to be safe for eyes and skin and clothing not to mention the vinyl pool liner! Straight chlorine is harmful to all of those things. Pool Chlorine is still dangerous. One should be very careful when adding it in liquid form OR in solids. Breathing any of it can be very harmful. Chlorox is a 3 1/2 to 4% and the swimming pool shock is 12-15%. The buffering is what makes it safe.

We have a above ground pool & have been using liquid clorox for years...it's a No brainer not to use too much. The pool is 15 feet wide & 48 in. deep and I use apprx 1 gallon a week...I add it at night so it dilutes well by morning. I have used the tabs as well...but they are hard to find and spendy where I live. However when I did use the tabs I had to shock it occasionally with liquid bleach to halt an algae invasion. My girls hair/bathing suits are not bleached white & the only time they have the red eye syndrome is from crying
default_rolleyes.gif
: Our pool has held up well...going on 5 years and the patches don't suffer as well do to the bleach.

Thanks for the comments. I guess it's not as strange a thing to do as I thought.

Not sure if I will try it in my pool, it would be my luck that it would ruin the liner,

but I might??? :saludando:

Latest posts

Back