My heart attack experience.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, so thankful you are going to be OK. Thank you so much for sharing, I know it will help others to be mindful if anything with similar signs ever happens, heaven forbid. Please stay rested, and keep well. Holding you in coninued love and prayers.

In His Hands,

Tanya

Its taken me a while to post to this. First I am so glad everything turned out for the best for you Kathi, and of course Amy and I have talked about her husband and I am more than thrilled that he is doing so much better.

My story is a bit different and shows just how things can change very fast. Four years ago this coming October 26th, my husband, Audie, was not feeling to good. He had what we thought was a sinus infection the previous day and just felt bad. Most people that know me know, never got to meet Audie but to see him you would never think he was a heart attack waiting to happen. Audie was 6 ft tall, 180 pounds, never smoked, never drank and was very active. This particular Friday night we had been out to eat like we always did but instead of going to the movies, it was what we had done on our date night since we got married, he wanted to come home and rest, he had to work the next day as well. At 9:30 he had eaten his ice cream sundae and by 10 he sat up in bed. I asked him if he was ok and he told me he was, he just couldn't get comfortable. He got up, walked around the house and came back to bed, but just sat on the edge for a minute. I could hear him breathing rather raspy sounding and I again asked him if he was ok, he again said he just couldn't get comfortable. Never did he have any pains, he just was uncomfortable. By then I told him to get dressed, we were going to the ER. By the time he got his jeans on, he couldn't catch his breathe and I called 911. The rescue squad was only two miles from the house but a friend of Audie's who was an EMT, lived just around the corner. He was there in 2 minutes, by then Audie couldn't catch his breathe, the rescue squad was there in 5 minutes, the ambulance was there in 8 minutes. I couldn't have asked for faster response time. They wouldn't let me ride in the ambulance with him so I had to wait for my daughter to get home but we were almost right behind him. When I got to the ER they had him sedated and ready to go up for a cardiac cauterization to see if they could put stints in. Well the tests said no, he needed surgery for 4 blocked arteries. I got to talk to him before surgery, he couldn't talk, he had been intubated but he would blink his eyes and he could hold my hand and squeeze it. Thats all I needed, just to know he knew I was there and that I loved him so much.

The surgery was successful but because something stupid that could have been prevented, Audie never woke up. He lived 4 more months in a coma until I finally found the strength to let him go. I told him I would be OK and that if he needed to go, it was OK. He passed away 2 hours later. He weighed 120 pounds by then. I was so glad I got to tell him I loved him before the surgery. I didn't know it would be the last time he would answer me.

Anyway, my story had a bad ending but not because of the heart attack. But he never had any chest pains, never any pain in his arm or anything. He just didn't feel good. He had no classic signs and he was not someone you would think was a heart attack waiting to happen, but I did realize of everything you can inherit from your parents, heart disease is the worst.

The one thing I would change if I could rewind life and do it again would be make him go to the doctor for a check up. The doctors told me Audie had already had two minor attacks that we didn't realize had happened. I don't know if they would have found out before his heart attack but what I did find out was he was diabetic and never knew it. Again no symptoms to suggest it at all. So don't think any of this has clear signs, it doesn't. You have to pay attention to anything that is unusual happening with your body and check it out, don't try to explain it away.

Again Kathi, I am so glad your going to be ok, and I know your husband is too.

OMG what a scare! I am so happy you are ok now. I bet the life changes are going to be a challenge but at least you are still here with your family and friends
default_yes.gif
Please keep us posted on how your recovery goes.

Last December I started having the worst chest pains EVER! I had been sick for 4 days and hadn't been eating. I suffer from GERD but this pain was so intense that I couldn't breathe. My father ended up calling 911 because I was freaking out. They picked me up, did an EKG on the way to the hospital, and started me on morphine. The ER tech said I was hyperventalating and that I needed to breathe. Once the pain stopped everything was fine and they said "oh you just have heartburn"! They gave me some kind of cocktail to drink which made me throw up the rest of the night. ARGH they treated me like I was an idiot but I just don't play around when it comes to that kind of stuff. They changed my acid meds and I am doing much better now.

It was embarrassing for me to be told that I had called 911 for heartburn but it was the worst pain I had ever felt and I am no doctor. Your story is a good reminder to listen to your body! Only you know what is normal for YOU and it is better to be safe than sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of your stories are unbelievable and touching, thankyou all for sharing. Your health is nothing to mess around with, I too have learned the hard way with collapsed lungs (at the age of 21) and almost dying because I refused to go to the hospital for 2 1/2 days thinking I just pulled a muscle or something.

Just two weeks ago at work a co-worker had chest pains while working position (Air Traffic Controller) and another co-worker acted quickly and called 911 and another gave him an asprin. When he could speak, he was saying, no don't call an ambulance (fear of losing his medical and ultimately his job). Thankfully he did not have a heart attack and still no word on what it was but they do know what it wasn't, he did lose his medical and couldn't work for a few days. Small price to pay for being alive though.

Sending wishes for a speady recovery Kathi and to fairytailglennminis husband and big hugs to minimomNC.

default_pray.gif
Prayers are there! I'm so sorry you went through this terrible ordeal; but, so thankful that you're going to be okay. Your post was so helpful to many of us and I'll certainly do my best to remember it. We're all just a click away when you feel like posting us with updates. Meanwhile, prayers and healing thoughts are flowing from all over for you!

God bless,

Joan

Hello everyone. I am out here and have been reading your posts and if I help one person then it will have been worth it. The wonderful thing about this forum (thanks Mary Lou) is that there are so many people on here with so much experience that all we have to do is ask and pages of help come our way. If someone has a horse die then they are overwhelmed by cyber hugs. The response is truly amazing when support is needed.

There has been some very good info on heart attacks coming from the forum members beside myself that we need to keep in the back of our minds for future use.

Brandi-the worst chest pain you had ever felt and you couldn't breathe. Sounds like heart attack symptoms to me and I would have responded. The sad thing is you were made to feel humiliated by having it turn out to be Gerd. The next time it happens it may be your heart and you will blow off the signs and symptoms and say it's only gerd when it could be something far more serious.

MinimomNC-I am so sorry for your loss. I am a humbled person at the moment and the saying "There, but for the grace of God, goes I" has a lot of meaning. When I was trying to read in bed I couldn't because "I couldn't get comfortable". I tossed and turned and the aching in my chest and back just wouldn't go away. Through your ordeal you found out he was diabetic and had previous attacks. That is a perfect example of the silent heart attacks in diabetics that they talk about. They don't feel the crushing pain you expect from a heart attack.

The last 24 hours has been tough mentally and emotionally. It is starting to sink in that I did have a heart attack and I have to change all my evil ways and behave myself. Easier said than done for an old non-compliant nurse. I am day 5 without smoking and feeling a very oral fixation. I haven't figured out the diet thing so everytime I walk into the kitchen all I see I can eat are fruits and veges. I know that doesn't sound so bad and it isn't but by now I would have had a bag of chips or a sandwich, how about a cookie? I know that over time I will start to figure this out but I have to be very good right now or I could replug my artery.

I am healing but they didn't tell me I would have twinges of chest pain and achiness. Everytime I feel pain I stop and look into myself to evaluate what I am feeling, they go away immediately, but I have stopped what I am doing and am aware of how many times during the day I do it. I would dearly love to go back to my wicked ways and deny every thing that has gone on the last week but I can't and that makes me very humble and vulnerable.

Thank you for the update, and I am wishing you a speedy recovery. I always hear about the "classic" symptoms, so thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

Take care,

Liz R.

default_saludando.gif
Hi Kathi!

SO glad to hear that you are OK! WOW! How scarey!! Life style changes are SOOOOOOOOOO hard to do!! But when determined and life dangling in your face..... one has no choice like you said!

Was nice to read what you had wrote & will keep that in the back of my mind incase I ever have to deal with that.

Thanks to all of you for sharing. Kathi, hang in there and take care of yourself....hard thing to do when you are used to taking care of others! This all hits home with me too - heart disease runs in my family, my dad died of it 8 years after having bypass surgery. Those 8 years allowed him at least to know and enjoy his grandchildren.

I think we all question aches and pains, and as you said denial is a great place to live
default_smile.png
. I had what my cardiologist thought was an eye issue, and the eye doctor thought was a mini stroke....and the cardiologist's nurse just chewed me out for waiting until Monday to come in. They never agreed on it and it hasn't repeated. I know my odds of heart attack are more than average but I can usually rationalize the way I'm feeling, and put it off to other things. I will take it more seriously from now on.

Jan

Added - this has had some press lately and may have been posted on LB, but bears repeating.....they say that if you are having a heart attack, the best thing to do while you are waiting for help to arrive is to cough - deep vigorous coughing helps keep you breathing.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG!!! Sure glad you went... when and how you did!! Thank you for sharing the info and I understand with women the symptoms can also be very mild.. almost like a slight flu. Actually, a good friends husband got back from a trail ride with friends one day, said he was tired and was just going to lay down a few minutes before rejoining the group and that was it.. he died within minutes. They found him laying on the bed when he didnt come back out.

So if you have ANY doubts, better safe than sorry and dont waste time getting help.

I sure hope you have a full recovery and that you are doing ok. That is awful!! It is a strong reminder for us all!!

I a, so glad that you are doing ok now. Thank you for the heads up!!!

Robin

Kathi, THANK GOD you're still with us! I know it's hard to quit smoking. I quit almost 4 years ago after 24 years of smoking. There was some great words and tricks I used to help make it easier for me. If you'd like a "quit buddy" give me a holler at [email protected]

Amy, I'm so glad your husband is still with you. What a horrible scare!! {{{hug}}}

Karen, I sat there and cried reading through what you wrote. You and Audie were here at our house, eating dinner and spending the night with us just a matter of weeks before it happened. It's true, I NEVER would have thought that could happen to Audie by looking at him.

Latest posts

Back