Supposed to be due tomorrow???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Small_Stars

Reaction score
I started another thread and lost it and never got back to it. I have our mare "Ripley" whom we bought bred. She was bred in March on 3 consecutive days. I don't have the paper in front of me with the dates, but the due date worked out to the earliest day being tomorrow February 12, 2013. She was vet checked and confirmed in foal in August. But here we are one day before she's due and her belly has dropped making her look more sway back and her tail is loose, but not a drop of milk in her it would seem. So, I'm at a loss on what to think. Do they make milk at the last minute? She is not a maiden mare and just had a foal last year.

Someone asked for pictures.
default_smile.png
First, she is bred to First Knights Dare To Dream

9-15-12 First Knights Dare To Dream #1.jpg

Here's some pictures of Ripley. Excuse her very fuzzy appearance.

Ripleypreggo.jpg

Ripleypreggo2.jpg

Ripleypreggo3.jpg

Ripleypreggo4.jpg

Thank you.
default_smile.png
To do justice, this is Ripley when she is clipped and has her make-up on.
default_smile.png

Ripley3.jpg

Ripley4.jpg

She was bred to the same stallion last year and this is her foal "Diva" from last year.

9_12_12 Diva.jpg

Thank you, but I am a nervous wreck worried I'm going to miss this foaling. I have wanted Miniature Horses for years. I'm very excited to have some, but this foaling in February is driving me crazy. LOL
default_sad.png
She's not giving me any clues. The breeder we got her from said that when the milk is sticky, she'll foal in 24 hrs. Sigh. Well, no milk. And she hasn't lost her mucous plug that I've seen. I've been keeping her tail braided so I can see.
default_smile.png

Ok, I was off on the breeding date. The last day she was bred was April 9th. So, we could go for a bit yet. I am VERY happy about that!
default_smile.png

That breeding date cannot be right. Originally she told me March. Sigh. I lost the piece of paper that had her breeding dates on it and that is so unlike me to lose something like that. I'm really aggravated with myself. Ok, so we're on baby watch from now till spring! LOL

Thank you Castle Rock. I'm glad she has awhile to wait as the weather is supposed to turn pretty icky here tomorrow with rain changing to snow, so that's good.
default_smile.png

Hi and welcome to the nutty nursery,

wow those two are just stunning, this is going to be one hot b
default_thumbup.gif
baby
default_smile.png
Thanks for sharing your journey with us

WOW!! This is going to be a gorgeous baby!! From the look of her udder and your new possible dates, I would say she's right on track for a March baby.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. No bagging up, nothing new. But she was out in the pasture prancing around and I have to say as big as she is, it was a rather comical sight. My husband and I were enjoying the laugh watching her high stepping with flagged tail and that HUGE belly!
default_smile.png

I believe I have everything ready except for a few small items that I realized I'm missing. I do have a question....when a mini foal is born, after the blood is done transferring, do you cut the cord or do you let it tear on its own? I was just wondering if I needed to prepare myself on procedure on how to do this if it needed to be cut.

I'm hoping she holds off as it has been awfully chilly. Highs in the 40's and lows in the low 20's and teens. Back in January we had 70 and even 80 degree days and I'm wondering why we can't have that now. Sure would make it easier.

Ok, thank you. That helps!

This morning she was all excited to eat and I fed her. She ate a few mouthfuls and then walked away. Not sure what's up with that, but I'll keep an eye on her. She still has not bagged up, so I don't think she'll be foaling today.

I made a new post with a picture of her bag as of today. She is actually due next Thursday. Warmer weather is on the way thank goodness.

You can also check inside the vulva -- just do a quick "peek" by spreading the lips of the vulva and if it's pink -- you're going to wait and watch. But, around 24 hours before folaing the inside will turn a nice RED, and you'll know you're almost there!! Usually within 24 hours of turning red.
It will also turn red if the mare has been rubbing at the base of her tail recently.

Latest posts

Back