Supplements for older mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverRidgeMinis

Reaction score
Does anyone give any particular supplements for an older mare that is a easy keeper?

I see products like Fat-Cat, Platform Weight, Hard Keeper Solution, Weight Builder etc. Do you

use any of them and how much of a dosage would you give your mini?

Thanks,

Freida

If your horse is an easy keeper she obviously doesn't need much more than what you are giving her as long as she appears healthy - glossy coat, good hooves, etc. I use Master Feeds Golden Years for my elderly horses which is neither for gaining nor losing weight but a maintenance feed specifically formulated for older horses and their particular needs. And free choice hay.

All of the feeds you mentioned are meant to help put weight on a horse that has trouble keeping it. None of them would be suitable for your mare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any older mares, yet, but... Several companies make senior horse supplements that provide easy to utilize nutrients for older horses.

FocusSr from Source - You can find it at Smart-Pak Equine and other places. Here's the link to it on the smart-pak website; http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass...NA-_-focus%20sr

I thought there were others, but it seems that right now I can only find the Source FocusSr.

Ok, here's one at KV vet called Legacy w/ Ester C:

http://www.kvvet.com/KVVet/product_family....D1A7BDCEC14D925

And, here's a different one at Valley Vet:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pg...56-aaec0b8f6f1c

I tried the FocusSr on my senior half-Arab gelding and he wasn't impressed, but I think it was more the difference in texture than anything; he gets pelleted feed and its a granular supplement, so it was hard to mix in (he can still chew just fine, so I don't soak his feed).

If she is truly an "easy keeper" you mayl want to consider using something along the lines of a ration balancer -- assuming she is still having no issues with excellent quality hay. This would give her a concentrated protein/vit/min intake with far less calories. As they age, their systems can become less able to fully absorb these things, thus concentrated can work very well. Most "senior" feeds contain a good amount of beet pulp as it provides some forage value, is easy to digest, and well tolerated. A good thing.

Mine love moist beet pulp shreds with the Born to Win (Purina) mixed into it. I'm very popular with them!!!

You don't say how old your "older" mare may be -- many of us have gals in their 20's and thriving. One of mine politely bucked and kicked up her heels as I let her out of her stall into pasture today
default_wub.png
: :bgrin She's obviously feeling pretty good! Had her in at night last couple of days since it's been in low teens here but, at 22 I plan to see if she wants to breed again this year --- my 24 y/o stallion has been woooing her
default_wub.png
: Their previous foals have been fantastic, so I'd love to have a nice filly from them to keep.

There are 9 here who are 19-24 years & most have been with me for over 10 years. Have always been a feeder of great nutrition -- IMO healthy begins with feeding!!!
default_wink.png
:
default_wub.png
:

I have not explained the problem well and misunderstood the "easy Keeper" term . My mare needs to gain weight. I switched her to Nurina Senior and she ate the first bag fine but then stopped eating it when I got the second bag (still mixing with Nurina Prime). I am now switching to the Buckeye Senior (still mixing the feeds) and she seems to like it better. I tried adding beef pulp to her diet but she doesn't like it. I also started giving alf. cubes which she likes along with grass hay. I was looking for something to maybe help get her eating better. She has gotten really picky about her food and has loss more weight than I think she should. She perfers to be out on pasture but she has moon blindness so I have been keeping her in during sunshiny days and let her out when cloudy/nights. I will be having my vet look at her again. She is uptodate on shots, worming, etc. Teeth appear to be fine. She is not droping food when she eats. She doesn't seem to want to eat much. She plays with her grass hay while the other horses eat it up. The mare is 19 years old and has been pretty healthy except for the moon blindness that started this summer.

Any thoughts?

Freida

I have a 17 yr old QH that lost a lot of weight due to a broken pelvis. To help "add" weight back, we put him on the Nutrena Senior and a supplement called Missing Link. They have 2 types. The one we use on him is the Missing Link Plus because it has the extra stuff for joints (glucosomine, conjointin(sp?)) He eats his senior fine but I was told that the Junior actually has more fat in it and to give it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too use Buckeye products - for the most part. I have a 25 yr old mare that I bought about six months ago and she is in foal for a spring baby. It seemed about last month she starting loosing weight! :new_shocked: Her back bone and ribs were obvious when I ran my hands through her winter coat! Even though it's typically for younger horses I started her on Buckeye Growth and Grow N Win in addition to her normal feed. I've increased the Buckeye slowly (without reducing her normal feed or her beet pulp) and she's really shaping up again. Whew! :new_shocked: I was worried.

So, I don't know that this is how it's supposed to be used, but I'd try Buckeye Growth and Grow N Win on another mare if I had one that was losing weight for no other apparent medical/etc reason.

I hope you find something that works well for you.

All our senior mares are on the same feed as the younger mares (alfalfa/grass hay) and 24/7 access to fresh water, salt & mineral blocks, as we don't have any hard keepers. Broodmares, young horses and the oldies when they'll eventually need it - are on Nutrena Senior. It has beet pulp & rice bran already in it without the added molasses.

Thoughts other than food............which she may need more of/different, etc. Yeah, they have preferences
default_yes.gif
:

1. Have you had her teeth checked RECENTLY?? At 19 she may well be starting to lose some and they may be loose, long, hooked, etc. This will cause issues. Especially since she no longer prefers hay.

I am assuming that she is being fed where there is no challenge for "her share" of the feed from others. If so, then feed her so that no one can share hers. These older ones will eat slower, normally.

2. You don't say how long you have had her. SO, if a fairly new to you and her surroundings mare, she may be having some ulceration from "stress". I know, I know, it doesn't seem possible but, oldies don't like a lot of changes. Let's say that most of the time some ulcer meds will cause no harm but, if this is the cause, you will see attitude and eating improvement within a day or two. For ME that is a sign that there was some tummy issues and I keep administering until heal time has been given.

I am not a vet but, a long time horse(s) owner and caregiver. If she were mine and still "picking" at feed, these are the areas I would investigate. These things not giving results, I'd have the vet run bloodwork to be sure there wasn't something else going on that needed attention --- infection, anemia, worms, etc.

Keep us updated -- we care and want to know what may have helped/been the problem. We learn.

Bess made some good suggestions - teeth are often a culprit in the seniors. If none of these things prove to be an issue, and she truly needs a feed she can better utilize, you might try Purina Ultium. My geriatric QH mare who is 30 has maintained beautifully on Equine Sr until last year. She lost weight and nothing seemed to help until I added the Ultium. I have replaced most of her Sr with it and she is finally gaining some weight - and, she loves it. Have also added Platinum Performance supplement to it for general health & welfare. Have used the Missing Link before, it's also a good product.

Jan

If she likes the Senior feed, you can gradually increase the amount she is getting. There is usually quite a bit of beet pulp in the senior feeds so it's not a big deal if she doesn't like it separately (tho I've been able to convert every horse to loving beet pulp by adding just a tiny bit to their feed and letting them "get a taste for it".
default_wink.png
: The alfalfa cubes are great for adding weight too, and if she will eat them soaked, they are easier to chew.

I have a 23 year old mare that I feed separately from the other horses and she has done really well. When turned out with the other mares she runs and bucks just as much as the younger mares. I love to see an older mare happy and healthy!
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back