Substitute for bathing - does anyone use or can recommend a vac/blower?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlegoesalongway

Reaction score
I'm looking for an alternative to bathing. During our competitive cde season, my poor guy is body clipped and subject to bathing prior to each show. He HATES baths and not every facility provides access to hot water and I hate to see him shiver.

Has anyone used a vaccum or blower for grooming? How well do they work? Can you get portable ones? Any recommendation on brand, make, model?

I've only used it a few times, but my MIL loves to go to auctions and got a livestock vac/blo unit in a box of other stuff. I used it last spring to blow dirt out of the coat before clipping, he didn't seem to mind and the air was actually a bit warm. I don't use the vacuum setting, as it doesn't have a bag, so it just blows stuff everywhere.

I have a Double K vacuum and use it both as a vacuum and blower--I really like it. It's about as portable as they come I suppose--it has a shoulder strap--easy to carry around, though when I am using it I generally hang it on the fence or a post.

Just buy a shop vac with a blow feature until you know if he likes it. Can be dual purposed too!

I also use the Shapely's brand blue colored stain remover. Works like a DREAM. My mostly white guy made a HUGE mess of the trailer on the way to his last show (he crapped on the wall, then apparently snuggled with it
default_thud.gif
), and we didn't have time to bathe AGAIN, so we used that, and it looked like it never even happened.

I have a vacuum a lot like the one Minimor described but I am not sure of the brand. I don't use it too often, but once the horses get used to it, most of them like it and I do too.

When I was in 4-H 50 years ago I NEVER washed my horse and used to do quite well in showmanship, even when the judge checked between the front legs wearing a white glove!! You really CAN get a horse clean with daily currying and brushing.

Now, I also appreciate the difference between bathing a horse with hot water as opposed to cold, so another thing to try is the "sun showers" from camping stores. They consist of a plastic bag, black on one side, that you fill with water and put in the sun for a few hours to heat the water. I have taken plenty of these showers myself and they are plenty warm, and have also used them to bathe a big horse. I haven't needed to use it for the minis because we made sure to have hot water available here, where I DO wash the minis before each show and clipping.

They have shop vac that you use for your cars that are as big as the full models and they work awesome.

One of those and some Cowboy Magic they work great together.

Do the vacs/blowers work on the "winter woolies" or just a nicely trimmed mini? I'm new to the horse world and my minis are little dirt balls and we don't have a equine shower in the barn so this sounds like a great option!

I've actually tried those black bag camping showers and yes, they certainy do heat up well and provide warm water......but even the warmest water can leave a horse shivering in the wind ;-)

How much horse-power do the equine vac's generally have? Is there ever a problem with static buildup or shocks?

I have an electro groom. I typically use it as a blower. It has two motors, flip one switch for areas that require a gentler touch, use both motors for everything else. It is quiter than a shop vac. The unit I have is the huge one that you roll around, they do make a smaller portable unit. Got it when I had all the minis, made cleanup much quicker. I only have two minis now, but do have two gypsy vanners ( hairy breed). Works equally as well. I even had a friend ask if I had bathed the one GV, so it does work well. The thing I like most, blowing off the loose hair when they shed, I can actually go back into the house without looking like a yeti.

We have the pet electro-groomer, much like the one described above me. It's great and the mini's don't mind it much.

keeping on this same topic, one of the horses I care for has been rolling in his own sick and is covered in his urine. Anything I can do without actually washing him with soap & water?

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the pet electro-groomer, much like the one described above me. It's great and the mini's don't mind it much.

keeping on this same topic, one of the horses I care for has been rolling in his own sick and is covered in his urine. Anything I can do without actually washing him with soap & water?
Perhaps one of the waterless shampoos would work. they aren't perfect, but usually help.

tractor supply had one or two of the waterless shampoo products. They also had one with bluing in it. I considered it for my 7 month old (almost all white) gypsy vanner and for my mare's white feathers.

LOL, the only problem with an in utero foal purchase, sure, you get a great price, but you get what you get and that is it, He is a fine huge strapping lad, but lots and lots of white
default_smile.png
Wouldn't trade him, he's such a character.

For years, I have used just a plain old small ShopVac. Works very well as a blower; much better than as a vaccumn, on the horses. In blower mode, it is about all I use when grooming in the winter, as brushing all that hair is an exercise in futility! I do take them outside to use it, so that I don't blow dirt all over the barn.

Margo

Like many others I use a shopvac to blow the dirt off.

If static is a problem I use "Static Guard" found in the laundry isle. Just spray a little on the horse (or brush or mit if they don't like sprays).

Comb through and blow away! It keeps them from getting shocked and lets the dust loose. I use it a lot when grooming in the low humidity winter months.

For spot cleaning, or washing manes or tails, I'll tell you my secret weapon.

"NoRinse" Shampoo by CleanLife. For people, used in hospitals and by NASA. LOL! Found in the pharmacy section at Walmart.

I use it almost all the time to wash tails instead of shampooing them. I do rinse it out though with a bucket of warm water and sponge. You don't have to rinse as well as with shampoo so it's better in cold weather. The undercoat doesn't get wet and the horse stays warm. I love this stuff! It smells good, leaves hair soft, easy to brush and doesn't irritate the skin. It's around $5 a bottle, but it goes a long way. I think it's cheaper than horse or pet waterless shampoos. Good Luck!

An alternative - for show grounds that do not have hot water is the portable hot water heaters that run off propane. We bought 4 or 6 for one show in IA and get propane tanks for all of them. We never run out of hot water, easily takes the edge off the cold water. I have hauled a personal one to shows I know do not have hot water and set it up and leave it for anyone to use. Out of 200 head of horses and ponies - I have never had it run out of propane and makes everyone's lives much easier.

I have seen people blow their miniatures out too at shows. As long as they are used to it - it works.

Hope that helps!

We have the AniVac and it is an expensive machine that does not give as good results as the bath.

It's okay if you don't want a horse to get too cold after the bath but the results are "so so" i.m.o.

We used a shop vac for years, but they are noisy.

We bought a Double K and blow our horses clean, which works great !

Latest posts

Back