Stupid cooking question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StarRidgeAcres

When I was a little kid, my mom's pot roasts were always about 2" thick and cut such that the "grain" was "vertical." Can you tell I know NOTHING about any kind of cooking??
default_no.gif
But I'm trying to learn and would like to try to make a pot roast like she did with the veggies and the awesome natural gravy/broth that came along with it.

Thanks!

Isn't it a chuck roast? I'm not much of a cook either but I have perfected the Eye of Round Roast. I put the eye of round in a big baking dish and mix up 1 or 2 packages of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix and then I add 1 cup of water, then I mix in 2 cans of Cream of Celery Soup......stir it up real good, put the lid on and cook it at 350 for several hours. When I pull it out the meat is so tender and the gravy is wonderful. It's super easy and good.
default_laugh.png

Isn't it a chuck roast? I'm not much of a cook either but I have perfected the Eye of Round Roast. I put the eye of round in a big baking dish and mix up 1 or 2 packages of Lipton Beefy Onion Soup mix and then I add 1 cup of water, then I mix in 2 cans of Cream of Celery Soup......stir it up real good, put the lid on and cook it at 350 for several hours. When I pull it out the meat is so tender and the gravy is wonderful. It's super easy and good.
default_laugh.png

Yum! That sounds delicious!!! And I don't know if it's chuck roast. When I asked the butcher he said basically whatever cut you want. But I want whatever my mom used and hoping someone on here knows that it was.

I believe the one my mom used was called a "7-bone" or "blade chuck roast". I think it comes off the shoulder. That is the one I picture when I think of pot roast, but as the butcher said you can cook any cut that way. When you make it, make sure that you brown it very well on both sides before adding the water. This will make the gravy much richer and yummier. If, after you brown, you deglaze the pan with a couple of cups of white wine, then reduce that down to nothing, then add the water and veggies, you will like it better than yo' mamma's pot roast!

Last edited by a moderator:
If, after you brown, you deglaze the pan with a couple of cups of white wine, then reduce that down to nothing, then add the water and veggies, you will like it better than yo' mamma's pot roast!

default_aktion033.gif
Diane, I like the way you think!

It is a chuck roast, my mom made the same thing. Potatoes, carrots and oninons cooked with it then the juices made into gravy and also homemade biscuits. I can taste it now. Sear the roast on all sides in a little bit of oil first then add water and veggies, cover and let it cook until everything is tender. Take out the roast and veggies, bring the water to a boil and slowly pour in a mixture of corn starch and water to thicken. I can still see her doing the whole meal. Thanks for reminding me.

I love cooking pot roast (chuck roast), first thing when I get up in the morning before work I line the bottom of a slow cooker with peeled and cut up potatoes, add some baby carrots and a couple of celery stalks. Place the roast on top of all this with a few more carrots lined around the edge. Put a package of Lipton onion soup mix in a cup and mix with a can of swanson beef broth and pour over meat and veggies. Sprinkle with pepper. Cook all day on low while at work. When I get home the house smells wonderful, pull out your roast, if you can keep it from falling apart and put it on a platter circled with your veggies. Leave the juice in the bottom of the crock pot, add some cornstarch mixed with some water to the juice, turn crock pot on high and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Add some bread and there is supper. Very easy.

When you have some left put all in a container but defat the meat and cut in smaller pieces. Cut the potatoes and carrots in smaller pieces and pour gravy over all. The next night take the contents and pour into a skillet add a can of cream of mushroom and simmer, add some extra beef broth if needed but you want it thick. After heated all the way thru pour some on hot toasted bread and it is delicious the second night. My dad called the leftovers "Sh*t on a shingle" but it is so good!

I love cooking pot roast (chuck roast), first thing when I get up in the morning before work I line the bottom of a slow cooker with peeled and cut up potatoes, add some baby carrots and a couple of celery stalks. Place the roast on top of all this with a few more carrots lined around the edge. Put a package of Lipton onion soup mix in a cup and mix with a can of swanson beef broth and pour over meat and veggies. Sprinkle with pepper. Cook all day on low while at work. When I get home the house smells wonderful, pull out your roast, if you can keep it from falling apart and put it on a platter circled with your veggies. Leave the juice in the bottom of the crock pot, add some cornstarch mixed with some water to the juice, turn crock pot on high and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Add some bread and there is supper. Very easy.

When you have some left put all in a container but defat the meat and cut in smaller pieces. Cut the potatoes and carrots in smaller pieces and pour gravy over all. The next night take the contents and pour into a skillet add a can of cream of mushroom and simmer, add some extra beef broth if needed but you want it thick. After heated all the way thru pour some on hot toasted bread and it is delicious the second night. My dad called the leftovers "Sh*t on a shingle" but it is so good!
Good Lord woman, that is making me drool! My mom did it in an oven bag, but it sounds like the same thing! Same veggies and all. But your leftovers sound DELICIOUS!!!

It is a chuck roast, my mom made the same thing. Potatoes, carrots and oninons cooked with it then the juices made into gravy and also homemade biscuits. I can taste it now. Sear the roast on all sides in a little bit of oil first then add water and veggies, cover and let it cook until everything is tender. Take out the roast and veggies, bring the water to a boil and slowly pour in a mixture of corn starch and water to thicken. I can still see her doing the whole meal. Thanks for reminding me.
My mom did biscuits with it also. She was very simple in her cooking and she didn't make a wide variety of things, but everything she did was so tasty.
default_yes.gif
I miss being a kid and having loving meals prepared for me. Being an adult sucks sometimes.
default_sad.png

yep, I'd say chuck roast too. I do like minih does, in the crockpot. I also use a pack of lipton onion soup mix. I don't use beef broth though, I just add water to it so the soup mix melts, I do add more garlic and pepper. I use little round baby red potatoes, bag of baby carrots already peeled, and the little tiny round onions. It's the easiest meal out there can be prepared in 5 minutes flat.

It is one of the easiest and best meals around. Like your butcher said you can use any cut and probably started by using up the less desirable cuts of meat as by the time it is ready it is as tender as the best cuts. I make it in a crockpot or on the stove, use the Lipton onion soup mix plus onions, the usual potatoes, carrots. I think what really makes it is the seasonings. I put bay leaf and ground clove in mine and the gravy is heavenly.

Chuck roasts here too - when cooked just right the meat falls apart. The chuck roast is the cut of beef that is "stringy" and will pull apart with a fork when cooked.

Early years I did the roasting bag too but the days of crock pots took over. I do the crock pot now - much the way people here have described.

To mix it up for a different taste sometimes, I've thrown a can of diced tomatoes that are seasoned .... they make them now with garlic and basil, or peppers and onions, different varieties of canned diced tomatoes. When I think people are tired of the lipton onion flavoring, I'll switch up and use the can instead. Still with the same veggies in it.

I've also found washing the little tiny red potatoes - and leaving the skins on and just throwing them in whole - is a quick way to go too.

While I haven't tried it yet, I have seen seasoning envelopes in the grocery store that are specifically for "slow cookers" and they have a pot roast one.

I do the same thing with deer roasts too ...........

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the pot roast slow cooker seasoning envelopes and they are easy, taste good also. When I am working 6days a week 12 hours a day they are a life saver.

1 dump frozen roast in crock pot

2 dump onions and potatoes on top

3 mix seasoning envelope with water and dump on top of every thing

4 low setting

I do this in the morning before work and come home to dinner ready to eat

The chuck roast is the cut of beef that is "stringy" and will pull apart with a fork when cooked.

Marlene!!! You've sealed the deal for me. It's the "stringy" that I remember! It just pulled apart like nothing with a fork. Now I know for sure it's the right cut.

Ahhhhhh..... I feel so at peace now.
default_laugh.png

And here's the biggest news... I'm going to attempt one for Christmas Eve dinner! Wish me luck folks; I'm gonna need it!
default_laugh.png
default_yes.gif

Like most of you, I'm sure, I kinda keep the various veggies in a "pack" within the pan so that they can be served looking like different veggies and not just totally mixed. I have found that adding green beens is a delight. Those bean are heavenly in the beef broth with onions!
default_yes.gif
we just finished the leftovers from one of these pot roast extravaganzas. I had corn bread with mine, night one. Over rice another night (I hadn't used potatoes in original cooking). Hey, these things are almost best as planovers. I love the tomatoes for a change sometimes.

Try the beans -- bet you'll like them.

I curled up on the couch with my roast/veggies, a glass of wine and a just arrived heirloom seed catalog. Talk about comfort....
default_laugh.png

I know what I am cooking tommorow between my nap and present wrapping!

Latest posts

Back