Strasser method hoof trimming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with or using this method on miniature horses?

I have heard some not too good things about this guy and some of his methods. I would rather concentrate more on a "barefoot": trimming method that consists of the best parts of many teachings, rather than focusing solely on one person's method. I woulod recommend you go to these sites to read up on barefoot/natural trimming methods.

http://www.barefoothorse.com

http://www.barefoottrimming.com/

Pete Ramey has better methods and experience, in my humble opinion.

I trim my own horses. I did it for years on my full size horses and now minis. This in no way makes me an expert. But what I can tell you is that each of my horses has different hoof shapes. Just like people all have different shaped feet. It would be very unfair and I think cruel to try and force a group of people to have the same foot arch and length of toes.

You have to work with the natural shape. Some have longer toes, lower heels, etc. I don't get wrapped up in angles and degrees. I trim the excess, shape what can be shaped moderately, do a mustang roll to prevent cracks and strengthen. A lot of people comment on what great hooves my horses have. I have never had a lame horse or any hoof issues, thrush, etc. knock on wood. IMO people get a little too intense with all the hoof theories and complicated trimming. So much affects hooves, heredity and environment are huge factors.

If you want more details let me know. Like I said I am in no way an expert but I will share any info I have.

I've heard horror stories about the Strasser method. I found Pete Ramey's approach much sounder, in concept and practice. I think Jaimie Jackson is also good, but his books are a bit difficult to understand while Pete Ramey's are pretty easy to follow. "Making Natural Hoofcare Work for You" is the older book, and there's been some changes in his approach since then. These are in "Care and Rehab of the Equine Foot". Yes, its pricey, but its indispensable for anyone who's providing hoof care.

I've read and researched different methods, but I keep coming back to Pete Ramey's. My mini's have great hooves, and my pony's hooves are the best they've ever been.

Latest posts

Back