Strangles link to muscle disorder in horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schutzandwhinnies

Reaction score
Here is a post from another site I go to that I thought should be in everyones mental rolodex that owns horses. Maybe put the article on your clipboard thats in the barn so if it comes up you don't forget about it. If a vet has not read of the study finding and is just simply not aware it may get missed. Here is the post. :no:

Hi everyone!

I don't want to scare anybody, and this is just FYI and something I found very interesting. In the April '06 edition of EQUUS magazine, on page 20, there is a very interesting, short article about a vet at Iowa State University who has discovered a connection between horses who have strangles and a severe muscle disorder called "rhabdomyolysis."

Evidently there were some muscle tissue specimens studied from horses who had to be euthanized because of the rhabdomyolysis that were found to actually contain the streptococcus equi (strangles) bacteria, which is not normally found in muscle tissue in a horse who developed rhabdomyolysis from another, more common source. Does that make sense?

Anyway, the article is very interesting and an easy read. I know there have been a lot of CBER horses who have developed strangles and it's something to watch out for. The article also states that if you have a strangles outbreak in a particular barn and one horse ends up with the rhabdomyolysis, that doesn't mean every horse with strangles in that barn will end up with it. It says it has been seen in horses that were both vaccinated and not vaccinated and that it was not caused by an atypical strain of the streptococcus equi.

Interesting stuff, IMO.

Latest posts

Back