strange lacing pattern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilnickers

Reaction score
I have a 3 year old filly with the most interesting pattern. Unclipped , she is a bay. Her dam is a bay pinto and sire is a silver bay(I think). Upon investigation, I have found it is sometimes called lacing. I want to find out more ! Anyone here seen this before!?
default_saludando.gif

203_7870-crp.jpg

203_7872-crp.jpg

Yes, here is one of mine.

Her's showed up when she was over three years old and continued to get more over the next few years. She is now owned by Kelly and Aaron at Never Ending Ranch in Canada.

DSC_0044.jpg

If you are certain it is not due to rain scald, I would say that is Lacing, which we think is part of Sabino.

Ditto to what Jane (Rabbit) said........ The theory is that it's from Sabino, but it's not for sure. It's also supposed to be genetic. If it is Lacing, you will probably notice more of it when you clip her next year.

JoAnne, thanks for the photo,. I went to NeverEnding's website and saw her. Pretty girl:)

Jill,I haven't looked at Knocker yet, but I will.

Jane, I am quite certain it isn't rain scald. She has more lacing this year than last year. Maybe it will keep spreading as Miniv said.

Sabino gene....thanks! I really find this interesting. Her dam and sire were both originally from Kateland's in Holley, NY.

Thank you for your pics and info...just love this forum so much
default_wub.png

My Missy is a Silver Dapple with Appy characteristics. She also has lacing. It showed up when she was about 3 and gets more and more. This last year it even stayed through into her winter coat. The white lacing with the black webbing she has over the gray base is kind of cool.

Gee maybe it has to do with silver black background also, because my filly is from a silver dapple stallion and she has it exactly like yours, heavier on the one side than the other just like yours. Mine also shows through her winter coat. The first pic is her at 4 months and the last one is her at one year old. She's got even more this year, can't wait to clip her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24808913@N02/4464762551

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24808913@N02/3801793540
Weerunner, From the head view of your horse, she probably has Sabino working in her.

My mare Jasmine's Dam was a Black and White Pinto with Sabino, Jasmine has been getting more and more white on her back and such every year. And no it also isn't rain scald. But she didn't start it until after she had her first foal. Looks very strange however.

My daughter had an Arab mare that had the lacing on her back and it looked awesome she was a dappled Bay.

Yes, I have a stallion who has very prominant cobwebbing all over his torso. It appeared quickly and is all through out his coat. He is a solid black. Check him out, he is on the my stallion page. Before and after.

www.rustyacresfarmminis.com

Ellen, Your stallion is stunning! And the lacing/cobwebbing just adds to it! Wow.

I personally just love this pattern on solid horses, even more than I like appy and pinto markings. I couldn't be happier with my little 2 year old girl.

amanda

I love the look of lacing, and Ellen's stallion is probably one of the most unusual and beautiful that I've seen.

Our Stallion's, Cwoboy, dam had extensive lacing and I was very much in hopes that Cowboy would lace too, but he didn't. As far as I know none of his foals have exhibited it either untill Daniela. The lacing started showing up on her as a 2 year old and has become more noticible over this winter so I'm excited to see if it continues to progress.

Cowboy's dam was sabino/tobiano. She had a wierd, off center roan strip down her face and I think she passed on the sabino to many of her foals.

Charlotte

The interesting thing about the lacing of our mare was that though she had it, she did not seem to throw it. We kept one of her foals and she is plenty old to have shown the trait, and no, she does not have it.

It could be that other of her foals have it, but were sold when they were young and we will never know if they got it as they matured.

We have a mare that just developed lacing last year. She was born in 96 so she was 13 years old when it appeared! Her dam is a sold silver black with not a speck of white on her and both her sire and dam were solids with zero white. Her sire was a silver bay leopard appaloosa sired by Jandts Bay N Bee and out of an appy mare. IF it's really from sabino, I don't where the sabino would have been in her pedigree. I suppose it could've come from a few generations back in her sire's pedigree..maybe no one noticed it with the appy coloring? Who knows! A friend of mine has a solid black mare with lacing-her sire was an appaloosa and her dam was solid chestnut.

Here's our girl. You have to look kind of closely at her back to see the lacing-bad pic!

P1050180.jpg

Latest posts

Back