Stomach Sweats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
Hi everyone, do you think I could pick your brain for a few moments?
default_wink.png
:

I've seen Stomach/Belly Wraps/Sweats advertised several times on a few different websites. Now I had always thought that with a good diet & exercising your horse would look fine and these belly wraps were for the "lazy" people if you would; but now I'm wondering if the really help?

How many of you guys have tried them? Do they help trim a lot? Do you like the neoprene or the polar fleece better? What is your working schedule like? Does Anyone here use them regularly, would you recommend them? I mean there has to be a market for them, if so many places are selling them, right?

Again this is aimed towards miniatures 2-9 years old that are going to be shown consistently threw out the summer and possibly at large shows like Nationals/Area shows etc.

Thanks a TON guys :saludando:

I use neck and 3'' throat sweats. I have seen the stomach Sweats everywhere but have never seen anyone using them for some reason. I was going through the ozark 07' catalog a few days ago and actually was thinking about ordering one just to try it out.

I'm curious if they work too, maybe they could give that extra help in that area during work outs was what i always thought.

I've been tempted to ask this, your read my mind Des.
default_smile.png

:lol:

Well. It sure does make them sweat even a hlaf hour of consistant trotting and your horse that doesn't sweat much will be soaked around his Stomach. It does work for a Good tuck up. Don't expect it to totally take off wait but it will pick up that dropped belly :bgrin

In my opinion, no, belly sweats do not work. At one point, I had one for Derby but really can't be sure if his former trainer used it.

This isn't what you asked, but in case it could help you, what I find really tucks a horse up is to trot them in a round pen or on a lunge line if you do not have one. If you can work up to 20 minutes ever other day, your horse should tuck up well in the belly. Also, you can mix in a little cantering for varity.

Another thing is a lot of minis people say are "fat" I think truly just have a hay belly, which I think often comes from feeding too coarse a hay for the minis to properly digest. One of the things I've come to feel is most important when it comes to having minis (regardless of show or pet) is that they hay you feed be soft and leafy, not stemmy and coarse.

The best my own personal horses have looked has been on a program of lunging 4 days a week, and the diet being about 50% soft orchard grass hay and 50% complete pellets (Purina Equine Senor or Junior, depending ont he horse), and some flax seed.

Hope this will help you or someone else!

Each to their own I guess, but I used it on a little mare we were showing and it worked well. It's not for lazy people as we work our horses up to 30 min. a day, most every day (during spring & summer). This particular mare tucked up fairly well, but I couldn't get that last bit of belly I thought she should lose off of her. I used the belly sweat 1 year (have sold mare since) and was pleased with the results. I used the polar fleece one, but wouldn't hesitate to use the other as I only used it on her while she worked. JMO

Pam

I use them as needed. Depending on the condition of the horse and what I want to accomplish, I use full body sweats (they start at the base of the poll and work as a neck and body sweat all in one) or will use "spot sweats" when I have a specific issue to correct. I find that they DO work if used correctly and, (this is key) consistently. I use a round pen or I will long trot them to build up muscle and work up a sweat.

I will also use them about 7 days before a show to "tighten up" a horse. I use the neoprene ones.

Is this going to be for Nitro?

Suzy Hooper

Show Horses by Suzy

Fresno, CA

I purchased a belly sweat at nationals 2006 and used on my now happy top 9 stallion so in my opnion they work miracles.

Thanks everyone who has posted! Devon I didn't even know you had one, very cool! Crossbuck Farms and horsefeather I really appreciate your inputs. Jill, I had something similar last year with the lunging and I also think your right. Ha, last year at this time Joy was getting 2 large flakes of 1/2 coarse hay and I couldn't figure out why she was so fat, bloated and had a hay belly :new_shocked: Suzy, I didn't plan the belly sweat for any one horse. I will be hopefully buying a neoprene neck sweat for Nitro in the spring to really bring down his neck. Nitro is pretty naturally tucked up but I think that it wouldn't hurt him or Joy. Thanks again guys
default_wub.png
: You really are a huge help!

For tucking up a belly I trot and canter them over ground poles and very low jumps (cavelletti on the side) This makes them use their stomach muscles and it tightens them and streamlines their bellies. I feed unlimited amounts of good quality mixed grass hay and only add grain when they are working hard and can't get enough hay into them to keep them fit. Sweats only work very temporarily - use them the night before a show and work them in it. The first drink of water they have replaces the water removed during sweating. I don't like the health consequences of sweating and prefer the healthy glow they get from being well fed, fit and conditioned.

I have a belly sweat and rarely use it. Actually Freds neck is so long I have had to use the belly sweat on it instead. One of the geldings I have, I have used it on as he just does not lose that belly no matter how much he is worked. It does help for the final touch. Linda B

Just to clarify, I do think some sweats work such as neck, shoulder and throat sweats. I do use those. But, I think what most people hope to "sweat off" a belly is really something that should be addressed with exercise and maybe different diet choices (soft hay vs. coarse, and enough protein).

I agree that most horses can and should be tucked up with food and exercise but as always in life there is exceptions to every rule.

That being said, I own one and have used it occasionally for certain circumstances. I had a gelding that was bigger built and although he was the ultimate athlete in great shape and a real hard body, he was of the build that I had to keep a lot of weight on him to make him look right. I did occasionally use it on him.

Also had a very small mare, 29" that lived on air I swear. I would use it on her just for an extra bit of tightness.

I did not use these all the time and usually would put them on after their show bath and they would wear it through the show.

I had a friend that had a small stallion that had gotten fat by another owner and sprung his ribs. She used one to try to combat that a bit and it did help.

One thing that drove me nuts with the boys though is they would slide back and they always seemed to urinate on them.

Some excellent advice offered here. I agree much with what MiLo minis, Jill and hhpminis have input.

My own experience was brief. I used it on one young colt, and quickly found that if there was nothing to secure it forward (i.e. a shoulder wrap, something that goes in front of the chest), it slid back and ended up covering his sheath. This led to a likely uncomfortable night for my colt, and a belly wrap full of pee.

Nasty.

I put it away and never used it again.

I feed and exercise much like MiLo describes, and rarely have a problem with a large/bloated looking belly.

The sweats have value, but again, they are temporary and fairly minor in their improvement, IME.

Liz M.

Well I have 2 of them. It takes two to get them around my fat gelding. Yes he dont get worked as much as he needs to but I do as much as I can. He gets worked on a lungline half in hour or on the 4wheeler for 3-4 miles. He always has them on when working. He bearly sweats with out them and the sweat he is soaked and yes it has helped pull the weight of in his flanks and shoulders.

Latest posts

Back