Sterven Ros

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
Ok, well here is a story I'm working on. The first chapter is going to be put into a literary magazine. Tell me what you guys think about it, all constructive criticism is appreciated.

---

Sterven Ros, Chapter I

It was late at night, Tor couldn’t sleep. He kept waking up and turning over on his other side; he tried to be as quite as he could so he wouldn’t wake his sister, who was sleeping on the other side of the room. As he tried to sleep, the world turned. Dawn was just breaking as he finally woke. He sat up in his bed, looking around; his sister must already be awake, and in the kitchen helping Ma with breakfast. He got up, and washed his face in the wash bowl. Before leaving his room, he dressed in some loose cloth pants and a tunic styled shirt.

When he walked into the kitchen he was greeted with the sweet smell of sausage. Tor’s sister was standing at the wood cook stove turning the sausage on the griddle.

“Ma’s out feeding the stale bread to the chickens.” Megan hadn’t even seen Tor enter the kitchen.

“Ok,” he responded. The sun was just peaking over Colt Mountain. Tor opened the wood Dutch door and continued out to the barn.

It was a small barn; it houses the family’s work two horses, cow, two goats, and Tor’s horse. The young man always had a passion for horses. He was fourteen when he found his horse in the woods. The little chestnut was a sack of bones, left to fend for himself. Tor brought him home and nursed the foal back to health. This past summer, Tor broke Farlane to ride. Although the horse only grew to fourteen hands, he is built like a tank and looks like a miniature work horse.

Farlane nickered as Tor entered the barn. He stuck his head out of the make shift stall. Tor grabbed the hay fork and shoveled some hay into the stall. The stallion’s mane was a darker brown then the rest of his body.

Everyone from town helped plow the fields; there were 6 pairs of work horses that plowed the wheat fields. It was late afternoon when they finished the fields. Tor helped his father with the team. Before heading into the house, Tor unharnessed the work horses for his father. Farlane had been moved from his stall to a small paddock that was behind the barn. After the draft horses were settled in there tie stalls, Tor went over the work table and worked on the bridle that he had started for Farlane. After collecting scrap leather and pieces from old broken harnesses Tor could make a nice riding bridle for Farlane. Right now all he had was one made out of rope. Tor sewed the leather with an aul. It was almost done; all he had left was just to finish sewing the buckle on the reins.

Before headingout, he went to the house and told his mom he was going out for a ride. Back in the barn, the chestnut stallion stood quietly as his young owner brushed him. Before heading out of the barn, Tor tightened the buckle on the girth. Farlane moved a step forward as Tor went to mount. “Easy boy…it’s ok” Tor said softly, calming the young stallion. Once mounted, Tor settled himself in the saddle, and gave Farlane the cue to go forward. With the tap of Tor’s heel Farlane moved out into a Trot. His rider kept contact with the bit, there was no slack in the reins, but yet the hands were soft, and moved with the movement of the horse. They trotted down the main town road and Tor slowed Farlane down to a walk, looking for the trail that led to a small meadow. When he found it, he moved Farlane into a canter. Once they were up the slight incline, the walked. The meadow was surrounded by trees. Tor and Farlane walked around the perimeter of the meadow. They did some trotting work, and cantering. Farlane learned quickly; partially because he trusted Tor, and knew he wouldn’t hurt him. As they rode, Tor noticed something from the corner of his eye; he looked back, but didn’t see anything. It was getting dark, so he thought his eyes were playing tricks on him. He focused back on Farlane, and transitioned into a canter. A couple of soft tugs on the reins, Helped Farlane get balanced so he had a nice pleasure canter.

They finished their pattern, and then slowed to a walk. Once again something caught his eye. When he turned his head to see what it was, there was a white light in the woods. Tor watched as the light moved closer, he had to shield his eyes from the brightness. Slowly the light faded, and he could now make out a figure, it looked like some one on the horse. Farlane stood there, unmoving, his ears forward watching. The light grew fainter until Tor could see a woman atop a white horse. She was wearing a white dress and the horse’s long mane almost touched the ground. Tor was motionless and sat there watching without any words.

“Tor, you have a long journey ahead of you, many things will come to you, in which only lived in your imagination. You will encounter many creatures which you did not know roamed our planet.” The women had a soft comforting vioice

“People will come to you; they will be good and bad. Trust your body, it knows best. I don’t have much more time, I will be there for you, I will come when I am most needed. Remember everything happens for a reason.”

The woman faded into the night. Tor looked around. This great sensation over whelmed him, it started his gut, and moved throughout his body. He tried to clear his mind to get rid of the feeling, but it didn’t help. The thought about what that lady… was she even a lady, what was she? Tor asked himself. Farlane pranced impatiently under Tor, shifting his weight back and forth as he pawed at the ground. “What’s wrong?” Tor asked his steed. ‘Trust your body, it knows best,” said a voice Tor had never heard, it was deep, masculine.

Fed up with Tor, Farlane took off. Luckily Tor was a good rider, and was able to stay on. Farlane as he galloped across the meadow, to the path that led to the main road. The stallion jumped down the path, on to the dirt road below. Once all four hooves were back on the ground, he put all his strength into galloping. Tor was crouched low over the withers of his horse. He did all he could to stay on, before the jump he had grabbed a hunk of the horse’s mane. Tor watched the houses go by in a blur; he looked ahead, watching his house draw closer. As he did, the sensation inside his stomach grew larger, he thought he was going to faint. The power went through his veins, spreading through his body. Farlane came to a skidding halt in front of the house. Tor bolted off and ran to the house; the door was opened a crack. Before he pushed it open, he pulled his knife from his boot. He heard voices on the other side; very quietly he lifted his foot to kick the door open. ‘One…Two…Three!’ with a bang, the door burst open. In front of Tor was his family with two other people. Tor tried to speak, but he couldn’t. It happened so quickly; he made eye contact with the strangers, then… with a loud POP, they were gone. Tor ran to the spot where his parents and sister once stood with two strangers. He turned around, a tear forming in the corner of his eye. He bent down on his knees and cried, but he was interrupted when something brushed against his face. He looked up to see what it was: it was a piece of parchment, with a rose drawn in Ink.

---

This is the picture that my freind drew for me. It's where i got the inspiration for Farlane.

unicornhighland.jpg

I got permission from my freind to post this picture. just so y'all know!

Very good. Check for spelling errors. Like....quite should be quiet.
default_smile.png

If you're open for suggestions, its a bit choppy. Instead of 3-4 sentences describing something, try and combine them down to 2 or so. That way your sentences are longer and would flow easier. Like..

He was fourteen when he found his horse in the woods. The little chestnut was a sack of bones, left to fend for himself. Tor brought him home and nursed the foal back to health.

Tor was 14 when he happened upon a little chestnut foal in the woods, thin and vulnerable. He brought the foal home and nursed him back to health.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone from town helped plow the fields; there were 6 pairs of work horses that plowed the wheat fields.

There were 6 pairs of work horses that plowed the town people used to plow the wheat fields.

Instead of using the semi colon as often (causes lots of breaks), re-word the sentece to say the same thing.

Just a few things I see or would suggest. Good imagination. I read a ton of books, but hated my english writing classes!
default_laugh.png

Thanks, it always helps to have some other people to read them. I know what i'm trying to say, and it makes since in my head. but it might not in someone else's

Back