Stem Cell Research

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you generally opposed to embryonic stem cell research?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am very much in favor of the research
default_yes.gif

100% in favor...........my daughter had to have a stem-cell transplant after treatments to shrink the cancer she had... at the age of 2 years old.....I thank god for all the research they do!!! We also where involved in a clinical study with my daughter receiving monoclonal antibodies, ( they had injected mice with neuroblastoma, and they build up an antibody to it, which they later infused to my daughter) It was definatley something I am glad we/she did, it helps the more studies they can do the more help it will be to other kids in the future!
default_yes.gif

Kill babies for research? Nope, I am not in favor of that. There are other ways to get stem cells. Do research with them! Having looked at the poll results, I see I am in the minority, but that's ok.

Kill babies for research? Nope, I am not in favor of that. There are other ways to get stem cells. Do research with them! Having looked at the poll results, I see I am in the minority, but that's ok.

Actually fertility clinics are already discarding these embryos, nobody is killing babies.

I am all for it. These embryos are to be destroyed anyhow, might as well get use from them. They can get some stem cells from other things, but I think, not sure, but think that the embroyonic are best for now. Hopefully we will see great strides in medicine, in the next few decades, because of this. Wouldnt it be WONDERFULL to never loose a child to some thing that may be prevented/cured by use of these stem cells?

You can count me as one of those people who are for Stem Cell Research.

I think many people who are against it don't understand it.

ABSOLUTELY in favor of such researcch.

It is UNCONSCIONABLE to merely discard these embryos when they can help save so many lives. As far as killing babies, that is what is being done by our current (and thankfully soon ending) administration's approach.

BTW, interesting wording on this poll, using a double negative to mean yes...

I have to say I'm for it. They're starting to store cord blood/cells, and even take donations- honestly, if it had been more affordable I'd have banked some of Nathan's in case anyone in the family ever needed the help they could offer.

The amazing amount of good that could come out of it...

Oh this is a hot point for me!

I very strongly in favor for it, and I agree with the thought that those opposed are often ignorant, and (grabbing flame suit) are often letting religion dictate something that could save Thousands of lives.

It's a perfectly acceptable idea that these unused/wanted Cell Masses, be used for something to better the world then to be trashed.

There's alot to be said for education in many ways on many topics, and this is one of the biggies.

Ignorance never benefitted anybody. Those opposed to it just don't know exactly what it is.

I am very very much for it, so instead of me trying to educate the uneducated, here's a link...

http://stemcells.nih.gov/

thought it was interesting.

I have zero problem with stem cell research...my problem only comes with creating embryos only for harvesting the stem cells...using those from living human beings--no problem there. As for the fertility clinics' "leftovers"...I am honestly not sure how I feel about that. The way I understand it, the greatest advances so far with stem cells have come from donors by bone marrow stem cells--like they use for cancer patients. Now that I have NO problem with at all. You can also get plenty of embryonic stem cells for research from regular births, so I see it as pointless to create more embryos just to destroy for research.

It may not set me very high on the popularity totem pole, but I am FOR FOR FOR stem cell research. As a person with a degenerative disease that is robbing me, my father, my uncles, and so far 2 of my 5 children of our eyesight Stem cell reaearch is the only, (and might I add the most promising) hope for us to regain, or at least retain eyesight.

I want to see my kids graduate school.... I want my boys to be able to see the faces of their newborn babies... and so far stem cell reasearch seems to be offering us at least a tiny speck of hope. I view it very much the same way I view organ donation when a person passes away. Gives life to someone else.... it gives hope to us.

Just this morning, I saw a couple on the Today show with a toddler who had Cerebral Palsy. Those parents had saved the naval cord blood, and only made up their mind to do so about two weeks before the baby's delivery. The reason it took them so long to decide was because they were expecting a normal, healthy baby, and saving the blood was terribly expensive, and not covered by insurance. Anyway, the blood has now been transfused into the little boy, and 5 days later, he started making a lot of improvement. The father said that the Dr.'s are hopeful that by age 7, the child will show no more evidence of CP. He will be cured. The differences the film showed on the before and after the transfusion was miraculous! Yes, I am for stem cell research, but we don't have to kill babies to get it. For those that are against it, please educate yourself more on the subject, and for those who are against it for religious reasons, please just remember that if God gave us the knowledge to use it, he must want us to use it. HE has taught us to use blood, organs for transplants, and many miraculous things, so here is one more thing for us to learn and use. I normally will not discuss politics or religion with anyone, but on the subject of stem cell, I feel it is such a cure for so many things. If nothing else, we can try to get the saving of the naval blood less expensive, and also try to get the insurance companies to pay, or pay a percentage of the costs, and that can be "banked" for future illnesses and catastrophic diseases. (Putting on my flame suit now for believing in something so unpopular)

Wow, I guess I should not be surprised but honestly people, I find some of your comments extremely uncalled for. Why do you assume that if someone doesn't agree with you they must be ignorant? I think I have a pretty good idea of the basics behind stem cells. For the record, I never said I was opposed to stem cell research. That isn't even on the poll. The questions were about embryonic stem cell research and specifically that conducted on discarded embryos. I am for stem cell research in general and was so excited to hear on the news about that little boy that has been helped. It is exciting to think of what stem cells might be able to help with! I believe life begins at conception and that is why I am opposed to embryonic stem cell research. Discarding those embryos to me is murder and to use them for research is still murder IMO. I wish they all had a chance to grow, develop, and be loved by a special family.

I am for it and agree 100%. I stored my son's cord blood 6 years ago when he was born and thank god I did because before ever knowing, and he was born with down's sydrome. they have a much higher chance of Leukeumia and we test him every year for signs, but it is a relief knowing we have his cord stem cells stored in the event something should happen. I think this research is great and hope they continue to do so!

I'm unsure of where they'd come from since theres different sources of stem cell research but I am for it since it is likely that in the near future I'll decide to have the cornea transplant and stem cell transplants they want me to have on my eyes.

Latest posts

Back