Starting to work with your new foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbj

Reaction score
First of all, my new foals is 10 days old, she is the most un-friendly foal I can remember having in years! :no:

We imprinted her at birth, touched, rubbed, petted her all over from head to toe immediately, she didn't like it then and she doesn't like it 10 days later! I continue to try and pet her and be-friend her but am getting pretty bummed! Her dam is the most friendly mini I have ever owned! Go figure!!!

So please tell me your tricks, thoughts, ideas etc. etc. All your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Tell me what can be done with a 10 day old foal and how you progress! I just cannot figure this little girl out!
default_sad.png

My little Rosie was the same way.. Absolutely hated being caught/touched etc.. Some babies and even unfriendly adult minis are intimidated by us since we seem 'bigger' than they are, could be the case with your foal.. I know Rosie if I sat down or knelt down to her level she was more interested and curisous in me, but would shy away if I stood up.. With my unfriendly foals I'll grab a small bucket to sit on in the stall and sit there and talk to them, pet/love on their dam and fiddle with something, whether it be a string or straw, just so it gets their attention.. After a few times of doing this they start getting used to you being in the stall and start getting curious.. I always let the baby come to me as I want her/him to be comfortable, when they start approaching I'll let them smell, touch etc until they're comfortable enough to come close enough for petting, usually about that time they come within arms length and I can start scratching their bum etc which they LOVE, and then I'll start restraining them and rubbing/scratching on them and do the same out in the pasture as well.. Some babies just take time.. I did this with Rosie and now she is one of the friendlest foals I've had..

Just keep at it - I find that at about the 1 month stage, the tables turn, and they are all over you :bgrin

Don't give up.........keep at it..........

Some of this is definitely genetic, some is not. But, eventually a lightbulb in the brain will go on.

MA

Don't give up! This year we had a horrible boy born. He kicked his mom, me, the stalls, he was a holy terror. I looked at him and said "oh No" he is a losing proposition...I will NEVER get him settled down. Every evening I would rub him, etc. About 3 weeks old, he kicked me in the stomach....then we had an eye to eye and he realized I was the head of the herd. He did 180 degree turn around. Now he can't stand to be away from me and is the first one in my face in the evening and meets me at the gate. I would have never believed it when he was born. He is the smartest one in the pasture and so affectionate now.

Most of my foals come around at about 3 to 4 weeks of age. It just takes patience and time and lots of interaction.

Good luck!

I've heard that the big thing about imprinting is that if you "let up" before they've accepted your efforts can be in vain; they can actually figure out that they can and will and want to get their own way. Is that what happened?

If not, just take your time. No pressure. Lots of firm, gentle loves and touches. As Miniv said, a lot of personality is "hard-wired". It's us that have to work with that and figure them out. That's what makes it fun
default_wacko.png
:

Thanks everyone! My daughter kept reminding me that it is the one month mark that turns them into people lovers! I guess I just forget that from foaling year to foaling year! Just need to be reassured! I agree with what each of you has said!

Suzie - thanks for relaying the story about your little guy, gives me hope! :bgrin

Latest posts

Back