Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I know of a case here where a stallion was responsible for killing another horse. And, one time my older stallion got in with a very mellow yearling colt and about killed him. I was not home and dont know what happened to the fencing, but NEVER AGAIN.

It was horrifying to see what I came home to. The older bigger stallion was fine, the yearling was a mess and every where he was bit- all over his neck, throat and jaws, the skin sloughed off in chunks about a week later... he was swollen- it was bad. But the little guy healed and lived- but not where the other stallion could get him!!

All stallions are different, but most will attack another stallion. My two stallions were separated by two pastures and two electric fences. One day we were gone and came home and found the two stallions in the same pasture! One of them had gone through two sets of hot fences to get at the other one!

It was a 98 degree day, dripping with humidity, and the two horses were covered in sweat, dirt, and blood, but when we got there they were both at opposite ends of the pasture, grazing. (There were no mares in this pasture).

We haltered them and brought them into the barn to check them over. Bite marks and cuts, but nothing serious, until I looked into their mouths. The smaller stallion had his teeth all kicked sideways! He had a perfect bite before, and now he could have used braces!

The stallion who'd kicked him is in a dry lot right next to another long yearling stallion, but they get along fine. Never any reaching through the fence or squealing or problems of any kind. On the other side of this stallion's dry lot are two geldings, and the stallion never bothers with them. In fact, he was loose with them all last winter in a pasture, and will be with them again this winter.

The smaller stallion with the ruined teeth... what a pistol! He was raised with the two geldings since he was under a year old, but it was just this spring that I had to separate them. Now I can't let him near the geldings nor near other stallions, and he doesn't even get along well with the mares! He's pastured next to them, but I can't let him out with them. He's just too mean to them.

A lot depends on the stallion......AND what time of year it is....AND the proximity of females!
default_wink.png
:

I know the "Stud" in Australia that Moonstruck is now living at, runs ALL her stallions (over 20) together in winter. But they are moved far away from the mares during that time. They have approx. 300 acres and can separate them by miles.

Latest posts

Back