Stallions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krstn&Locket

Reaction score
I saw the most horrible thing today..In my opinion stallions should not be kept in pens next to other stallions, they should be kept out of sight...Her stallion broke through her fence and attacked her other stallion. I've noticed them for days kicking at each other and squeling through the fence. He got his head kicked a few times and the sound was awful. After they were able to seperate him the little yearling stud lost 4 teeth from getting kicked in the mouth and he had dozens of kick and bite marks all over his body.. He was bleeding everywhere and was extremly lame. The other stallion even brought him to the ground a few times. There lucky they didn't lose him.

That is so sad - they were lucky that the young colt was not killed. I would never have stallions in pens next to each other - it just isn't worth the risk. I know of a 2 year old stallion that was killed by an older stallion - totally tragic.

I hope that the young stallion makes a full recovery from his wounds - poor little guy - he wouldn't have known what to do as he is just a baby himself.

IMO only I think that running stallions togther or next to eachother is fine until it is not and when it goes wrong it goes horribly wrong.

We had a stallion fight once.. one got out and went thru 2 fences to get to the other one. It took me and my then husband, armed with 2x4's to finally get them apart. By the time all was said and done all of us were bit, kicked bloodied and bruised.

The thing that sticks out most in my mind was how truly quiet the fight was.. it wasnt like in movies with squealing and such in fact had I been in the house I doubt I would have even known. The only sounds were hooves hitting bodies (the horses and ours) the 2x4's hitting horses and the grunting of the horses.

Had we not been there there is no doubt in my mind this fight would have gone on till one of them couldnt fight anymore it was serious and they were both willing to fight to the death. They were both so tunnel visioned nothing would take there attention off the task at hand , not screaming, yelling, hitting, I even yes as dorky as it sounds tried a hose... no go they wanted to finish the job.

Truly one of the scariest things I have witnessed and had they been large horses I don't know what we would have done.

Oh my gosh that is the saddest thing.

I'm sorry you had to witness that.

I've had the same thing happen as Lisa's story - stallions got out together and would have been a fight to the death I have no doubt. Still don't quite know how we got them separated, just luck and desperation I think. I tried turning my guys out together in the off season a time or two when they were younger, had 4 at the time plus a rather studly gelding. All were okay after the initial posturing, except these two - they have always hated each other.

Jan

The first time I put two stallions together I was very green at this and my friend assured me so long as the field is big enough, so long as you stay calm- ya da ya da etc!!

I do not panic easily, I have to say but, having done this I was at least prepared, with a big stick, to part them if needs be (they had been introducing themselves for two weeks on either side of the fence line, and had settled down)

I was NOT prepared for the ferocity of the attacks and, just like Lisa, I was surprised at the relative lack of noise- it was even more frightening than if they had screamed and yelled.

First lesson- screaming and yelling means they probably AREN'T going to try to kill each other!!

I got them parted and apologised profusely to the older one, who had got beaten up but not badly.

Funnily enough, I do still run entires together but I have learned to watch the body language- you know straight away if it will work.

I had two, 2 year old colts together last year and they were great, no problems at all.

I put a weaned colt in with the older horse and everything was great, no problems- I did actually try the whole lot together- with an electric wire down the middle, though, and it was immediately obvious it was not going to work- the older stallion became quite rattled, and the young colts were being VERY rude to him- lack of respect is often at the bottom of all the fights.

The older horse, in this posts case, should NOT have attacked a yearling colt, I think I would think long and hard about the temperament of a horse that reacted like that, the colt is not a stallion, he is a baby- but he had obviously been very rude to the older horse for some time- some stallions, especially when they are related to the colt, will tolerate this, some won't.

If you do not know what you are doing it can be a train wreck, though.

Carlos, my young stallion (colt really but he is "working" at three so I will call him a stallion) will tolerate ANYTHING.

He is going to love running this winter with Toby who will be a weanling, he will allow him, as he does at the moment, to steal his feed and bite his backside.

Carlos is just a very laid back, tolerant, stallion.

Rabbit, my dear little, gentle as a mouse, Rabbit, would chase Toby beyond any sort of sense- the strange thing is he would not actually attack him unless he was on the other side of a fence, just run him down until he keeled over (Rabbit would keel over first but I do not think that would stop him)

I do know of people who run stallions on the other side of a fence, all year round, but I am guessing the stallions have come to an arrangement and the fences are strong!!

the little elderly lady i got red from has 2 other minis. both studs. one is 4 years old, the other 2 years old. they run together and red was also in the pasture with them. i never heard so much as a nicker, even when we put grain out to catch them. you would never have known they were studs. i'm sure if one was taken away for any length of time, they could not be put back together.

We haven't yet done stallion and stallion together... doubt in fact we will. My old stallion Halo, & my current boy Badger hated each others guts, dispite the fact that in the winter i could lead them both together the looks they gave either other! But they were respectful enough of me to know not to take it any further... would never have dreamt of putting them in a field together though!

However on another note both boys would happily live over winter with the geldings... perhaps the lack of testrone for them accounted for this but i did find it odd, the stallions enjoyed the fact that the boys would play with them and i'd often see them play fighting (although to begin with was very cautious with this fighting and would watch them like a hawk to make sure it was only play)

Badger spent the last winter out with my 2yr old colt and my 2 geldings, he was an angel and loved the games (especially since his mare's would kick him down if he tried to play with them) they stayed togeth till about March... and then he turned on the colt (who was then rising 3) and decided he wasn't allowed in the group... (the colt is now a gelding so not sure if he'll react differently this winter should we do the same... although the little boy is a real push over so would easily be bullied!)

And both the boys were fantastic with foals.

Years ago, when my in-laws were still raising Quarter horses, they came home to their stallion trying to tear down a very sturdy 2x6 gate to get to a gelding and he meant business. You just never know.

This Topic was needed I just bought a weanling Colt and I was going to put him beside My Yearling Colt

Would it be okay if they Grew up together????

The only reason way is because a friend of mine has done the same with her older Stallions with mares and the whole 9 yards.

She would even have 5+ Stallions in the Same Pen! During Spring and Summer.

I am very lucky in that I have laid-back stallions. Until Esprit got too big he could be with Alladdin with no trouble. Now he plays too hard for my little tiny guy. Alladdin is so tolerant, he is a true gentleman. I put my gelding Danny in with him and Dan was very rude. I watched them for quite a while and it seemed that Alladdin would be able to hold his own, so I left them together. By the following morning, Lad was the clear boss of the pair. Not a hair on either body ruffled or mussed. The worst thing I have ever seen Lad do is back up and double barrel someone, and also does some squealing but not too major. He just has a firm dignity that is not questioned by the others. My jr. stallion, Esprit, is stalled next to him but I have very good fencing. However, the wall between their stalls is low enough for them to sniff noses. They spend most days standing in their paddocks next to each other on either side of the fence, hip cocked and lazily swishing their tails to brush flies off. So I guess it depends on the situation and the horses involved. One of the biggest problems I see with stallions is deep frustration due to them leading a very isolated life.

Interesting Bedievere is VERY laid back I haven't got Allure yet so I don't know what his Personality is like

That was why I wanted them to be Stalled next each for other Horsey Companionship since I don't let my Stallions run with my mares (My mares would kill them!!!)

I have to say I have never owned a stallion that wasnt laid back. All of my stallions are able to be handled by anyone and are not agressive, overly hormonal or mean. They are all now and have been for the past few years handled by Raven who is 10 (with supervision)

It is one of those things that sometimes something just snaps with them no different then dogs who live in the same house peacefully side by side for years and for whatever reason get into a horrible fight not just a scuffle but a fight. It happens all the time. doesnt mean they could not continue to live in the house another 5 years togther.. but it does mean everyone including the dogs will now be on the look out for that chance of another fight

Lisa, I do agree with that, I have had my two big dogs get into some scary fights, and honestly I am very tuned in to their body language as a result. I do think this is something that lifelong horseman do as well and it is not apparent to anyone, even them, when they adjust situations based on what they read. For example, I moved Esprit out of Alladdin's stall as soon as I noticed him being too rambunctious which was becoming a problem due to their sizes. I didn't really think about it too intensively, I just adjusted and continued on before it ever became a problem really. Being able to notice the very first almost imperceptible signals that things might go amiss is key, I think.

That being said, we have all probably made some bonehead misjudgements and wondered later, "WHAT WAS I THINKING???" :eek:

The little guy is doing better today..He's on bute and looks funny with all that white painted bandage stuff. He's eating hay too, which is surprising seeing how he lost a few teeth. He's a yearling well will be 2 in a few months so I think her colts teeth will grow back or hopefully seeing how he is great quality and has decent bloodlines..They just got him like three weeks ago. I guess her stallion breaks out alot..ive seen him go through a 220 voltage fench and he picks up round pens with his head and always seems to get out. She told me once he went after her 15'3 hand gelding last time he got out. Yikes...

5 stallions - 2 that were age 6 & 7, one 2 year old, 2 yearlings, none related to each other: (Appy is the 2nd from the right)

wildstallions1.jpg

Note - there were no mares stalled in the immediate vicinity, and the fences are solid, nothing that could be knocked over or run through.

We did pull the older stallions out to breed and then put them back in...

This is the temperament I want in a breeding stallion!

We are, however, aware of potential dangers when living with stallions and we do our best to minimize them.

We run stallions next to each other all the time. Haven had a problem yet, but we have good fence.

We did have a stallion from two pens over go through a few fences(before what we have now) to get the the other stud.

I dont think its a problem running them next together, but I think you need to be set up for that.

WE have have 4(i am guessing) foot feild fence with two strands of electric on each side. And for the naughty boys they get a strand on top as well. Havent had a problem yet.

I have a 2yr colt/stallion and had a colt born in Jan and had them always stalled next to each other when he was born with his mum they were stalled beside him and had no troubles then when he was weaned I had them together and they are great company together they run around and play sleep 2gether eat together and are best mates I can tie them up next to each other and they are just great It will b easy showing them this year being able to tie them up next to each other, They are also great with my mares and dont misbehave around them they can be stalled next to mares and dont get all excited, I am so pround of my boys manners and I have had lots of people comment on how good they are. But I think it depends on the horses ya have, I would'nt just go and put any colts or stallions together without throuly assesseing them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two stallions and three geldings that run together with no problems.

The two boys are out with their mares from Feb to July and

then are just walked into the pen with the geldings

and, knock on wood, I have never had a problem.

They seem to know and accept the boss, Ty, and that is that.

Latest posts

Back