Stallion's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShelleyS

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a stallion and wanted to know what you all had to say in regards to temperment. I've heard people say that stallions are mean. Thoughts?

This question is like asking how long is a piece of rope. Many many people with little horse experience keep mini horse stallions with success. Each will require separate facilities from mares, foals etc. Some will put up with being pastured with other animals some will not. Some will behave like little gentlemen others will have bouts of raging hormones some or all of the time. If you decide a stallion is what you want just be prepared to provide for all of his needs separately from the other horses. I have owned stallions that would babysit foals and others that would do them harm in an instant given a chance. But each one had redeeming qualities or he would not have been a stallion. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

I too was unsure about having a stallion since I had no experience with them. I've discovered that like any other horse there are sweet ones and some that are not. I was fortunate enough to get a very laid back guy even though he was only 1 1/2 yrs old when we got him. He's coming 3 and has been shown halter, hand bred a couple of times, and he still has the same sweet temprament he did as a baby. The trainer was so impressed with his attitude that he agreed to put him to a cart this year.

I've since seen some that I wouldn't want to be around and some old stallions that act more like a gelding (ignoring every mare around until told to "go"). My general impression of the miniature is that they have a much better attitude than a big horse but you have to prepared to end up with that odd one that's a "pill". Then you geld him or sell him!

I've heard people say that stallions are mean>>>>> Yes some are, just as some people are mean........................

All I can say is that the two stallions that we have owned had wonderful temperments. The first one, a Komoko Little King Supreme son, Sultan was absolutely wonderful..... Our current stallion, Omega is just as nice tempered as Sultan was. We lead our grandchildren while they ride Omega. These two are great around children & never gave us any problems - just a delight to have around.... When it comes to breeding though they know their job & do it well......... I do know of a stallion though that has given his owner lots of problems. He bites & is mean tempered and it is not because he has not been handled............ If you are buying a breeding age stallion you just have to rely upon the seller to tell you the truth. As I say though, not everyone tells you everything you need to know to make an informed decision sometimes. Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
My stallion, is wonderful. He can be handled by my children who are 6 & 9 and my neice & nephew. He also lets the little 2 year old kids sit on his back and will walk with them on him on a lead of course. He also is a perfect gentlemen with his mares and a great babysitter for the foals. I couldn't of asked for a better stallion!! he is 4 this year.

Over the years, we've had as many as five stallions at one time. I don't believe in keeping them in separate paddocks from other horses. They have been, of course, separated from each other, but each had at least one mare that was theirs -- their buddy (and lover, I guess you'd say). Some studs had as many as 8 with them in their herd.

We've had stallions come to us who were what some would call "mean," but were what I'd call "untamed!" Some stallions are not handled at all. We handle all of our horses every day. The boys who came as "nuts" calmed down after they were turned out with girls & live as natural a horse life as possible -- going in & out when they please, plenty of pasture to run. Water & food, of course, is provided, but the boys are there with the girls thru thick & thin.

Right now, we have two studs. They each have their own girls, their own field, their own shelter for their herd. Everyone does well.

I believe that very few horses are what could be called "mean." Yeah, some never got socialized or anything, but you've got to know how to work with them, or it can be a disaster. The two boys we have right now didn't want to behave AT ALL when they first came. They are big babies now!

I believe it's because they are treated like horses not like the wild stallions depicted on TV & movies. Thank goodness the days of stallions being all alone & treated like a different species are over somewhat. I always felt sorry for the big stallions I used to know.........their lives were so pathetic. Poor boys. Not mean. Just stallions! That's what I'm trying to say, I guess: Stallions are stallions. Boys are boys. Just nature, not meaness. (sp?)

The stallion we've had longest now, I take kids in with. The junior stallion, I don't quite trust completely yet, but I'm sure it's coming. Even if it doesn't, that's not why he's here. He does his job & is nice to ME.

OH MAYBE AN EXPLANATION is due here: If you notice our two stallions listed below, you'll see the first one has a Little Wee prefix on him. His mom was our horse, then bred to Bandito (our horse), then sold her as a bred mare. So, after the barn fire, I realized there are almost NO Bandito sons because he had almost all girls! CJMM (Joanie) suggested I contact the owners of this foal & ask if they'd be willing to sell him (Merlin) back to me. Never, I thot --- and lo & behold they did!!!!!!!!!! I got my own bloodline stallion back. How wonderful is that???? They are John & Mary Daley just for the record. Great people with big hearts. So, even tho Merlin was our breeding, he wasn't born here & had some "issues" when he came. Sweetheart now I'll never part with!

Shelley it is nice to see you back. How is the little filly and her momma? These are the only two you have correct? In my humble personal opinion I would wait on a stallion. You would have to keep him apart from mom and babe, baby won't be ready to breed til 3. Why not wait and have fun with your two sweethearts, learn all you can about stallion care, breeding and foaling first. THEN find the perfect gentleman that will compliment your girls AND be easy for you and your kids to handle.

Thank you all for the wonderful responses! Yes, we just have the two.... Molly and Pixie. They're doing great. Molly is sweet but she really would rather not be touched unless she initiates it. Pixie... she a whole other story. She has quite a personality and you couldn't ask for one to be any sweeter. She'll give you "kisses." One thing I have noticed about both of the girls is that they are both quick to swing their butts around like they're ready to kick. Pixie floored me the other day.... Landon, my almost 4 year old, had taken her by the halter and was leading her around. Pixie didn't seem to mind. When Savannah put the food out, Pixie took off. Still things are fine, but when Landon come back close to her, she'd lay her ears back. I told him to stay away from her cause she was clearly mad at him about something. Well, he's Mr. I Know About Everything and he didn't heed my warning and got kicked. She's now kicked him three times and I'm not sure why she's doing that. Just him. Prior to that first kick she would follow him around in the pen like she loved being with him so I don't know what's got her so hacked off at him. He's not done anything mean to her.

Food is a whole different situation. As with most animals, when food comes into the picture, the scene changes. As far as kicking at him in general, I'd say she's showing disrespect & she feels she's superior & she thinks he should feel that way too. In safety for the boy, I'd keep him away, or else take some serious time to school them both on his superiority. That is, with you there, let him lead her, back her, whoa her. Again & again. He does seem a little young for this (IMHO) but you've got to remember, she's a horse, just 'cause she's little, doesn't make her different from other horses.

She clearly has no respect for him. He can't show any inferiority, or being a horse, she will take advantage of it as she would with any other horse. If there's two horses, one's the boss, even if YOU don't realize who it is among them.

I wouldn't put up with the swinging butt thing either. They make a little hand-crop, you know? Use it. You've got to show these girls who's boss mare -- YOU & any other human who is around them. Sorry, I just wouldn't tolerate this. I don't mean to sound like a know it all. I've just been around horses (big & small) a real long time.
default_smile.png

I have had loads and loads of stallions, I have only ever had problems with one, he died suddenly and a PM found he had a brain tumour, so his aggression was put down to that.

They stallions I have now are all totally kind and quiet, they all live together in winter and will run with mares all summer.

Never keep a stallion on his own, treat him like an ordinary horse and he'll be a kind, ordinary horse.

Be firm and be fair and he'll respond by being a fair person back to you.

Our stallions are all very good natured-- they are my favorites to clip. They drive like s dream & I can handle any of them -- but when breeding - that is different & they are all business & I would not want them to ever get together at that time of year.

Kept apart they are no trouble and love your attention

Thank you SO much for those comments. After reading what you wrote about her behavior, what you've said makes perfect sense.

I'm also glad I thought to mention the swinging butt thing... Both of them are really bad about that. Now they do it, and most of the time there is no kicking, but it's like they're warning you that they're ready. I don't know what you mean by a "little hand-crop" but I'll sure be checking into that. Honestly, I didn't think there was anything I could do about the swinging butt's. Thanks for letting me know there is and that I don't have to tolerate it. When Pixie kicked Landon, I got a hold of her and popped her butt. Then I took looked in her face and told her "NO! BAD GIRL!" and popped her nose (she'd also tried biting him that time). Savannah (they're her horses) about come unglued that I'd gotten on to "her baby." I told her that Pixie's behavior was NOT acceptable and she had to realize that!

Food is a whole different situation. As with most animals, when food comes into the picture, the scene changes. As far as kicking at him in general, I'd say she's showing disrespect & she feels she's superior & she thinks he should feel that way too. In safety for the boy, I'd keep him away, or else take some serious time to school them both on his superiority. That is, with you there, let him lead her, back her, whoa her. Again & again. He does seem a little young for this (IMHO) but you've got to remember, she's a horse, just 'cause she's little, doesn't make her different from other horses.

She clearly has no respect for him. He can't show any inferiority, or being a horse, she will take advantage of it as she would with any other horse. If there's two horses, one's the boss, even if YOU don't realize who it is among them.

I wouldn't put up with the swinging butt thing either. They make a little hand-crop, you know? Use it. You've got to show these girls who's boss mare -- YOU & any other human who is around them. Sorry, I just wouldn't tolerate this. I don't mean to sound like a know it all. I've just been around horses (big & small) a real long time.
default_smile.png

By little hand crop I guess I really meant to say a riding bat. They are little (about 2 or 2-1/2 feet long) wands with "popper" at the end that you would use while riding English. They don't hurt if you use them right, but they get the horse's attention.

There's also the wiffle bat! It makes a LOT OF NOISE when you hit the horse (hopefully on the butt), but the hit-pain is minimal. Great tool for kickers. Kat from Six Gems told me about that one.

After all, what you want to do is tell the horse the action is not acceptable, not hurt him. I also won't feed a horse when it's got it's butt turned towards me. When it turns around to face me, then the food comes. If there's a threat, there's no food coming. Face me, I'll feed thee. (Sorry, I live in Amish country!)
default_yes.gif
:

Oh, and about the biting thing. I would have popped her nose too, but you've got to do it IMMEDIATELY -- not 15 or 30 seconds later -- immediately. Otherwise, they don't really know why you're doing it. I'd deal with one end of the horse then another at another appropriate time. One end at a time. On the other hand, someone might disagree about "popping" them at all, but that's what I'd do. Might I ask ///// do you feed her treats from your hand? Or do others? That's a no no here & there are NO biters. Even our foals don't bite.

The stallion I currently own is a real pussy cat. He was that way when I first went to see him at 9 months old.. Temperment wise he is as predictable as my sweetest mare,, and is actually a little on the coy side. ( in a good way) But it has not not allways been that way with my old stallion.. I had to keep kids out of his pen as he would go a little crazy around breeding time.. My suggestion is to check out temperment in any horse that you want to buy, as much of it is in the breeding, although some traits can be managed through training.
default_yes.gif
:

My suggestion is to check out temperment in any horse that you want to buy, as much of it is in the breeding, although some traits can be managed through training.
default_yes.gif
:

I totally DITTO that. All of our stallions are wonderfully approachable.....If they weren't, they'd be gone or gelded.

MA

Any horse, not just stallions can have a mean temper.

I think also it just depends how the stallion has grown up, if people who own him are very friendly natured than he will more than likely be also. IMO stallions are so emotional, more than mares and geldings they act like more of their owners than anyone else. Originally the stallion is the leader of the herd but you are the stallion's boss lol.

Also some stallions in nature are just mean spirited and get out of control. Thats when its time to geld. You defintelly don't want that passed down to foals.

I have one stallion who is very sweet around people, but a little rough with the mares and hates the geldings. Probably because when he was younger he was never use to a herd situation. So he is by himself but I spend time with him everyday so he won't be lonley.

I think to make a great, puppy dog stallion, you start his behavior training once he comes out of momma.

i have owned two differnt stallions, and i would put either one of my guys with children before i would most of my mares, they are a ton more laid back. It may just be my boys but i dont think you will have to worry about it. I would make sure the personality fits before i bought a little stud though, differnt people have differnt views on horses, and someone might tell you that they are super gentle or super wild, but that is just based on their knowledge, im not saying not to trust people but i am saying i would always investigate myself, so that i would know for sure what i am getting into

The only stallion we have is so layed back and quiet and easy to do anything with. From the sounds of other posts he is not the exception out there. We breed in the center alley of the barn usually we turn the mare in then let Special out. If she is receptive he will breed her and after dismounting we tell him "time to go home" and no kidding he will walk back into his stall and wait for a peppermint treat.

I would never buy a stallion with out seeing him in person and handling him. If you have kids bring em along too. If he hates kids you want to know before he gets home.

Best of luck in your search!

Mark

[SIZE=14pt]There is a difference between "mean" and untrained , and mean and spirited. Stallions generally are not for total beginners but then you can find the occassional boy that is good with everyone even kids. I have had 3 like that. I have one now that is not mean but too spirited for a child although an older youth has shown him successfully. You have to meet them and greet them and see how they react with you.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back