Stallions reaction to foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylsminis

Reaction score
In general, do stallions get alone with foals? I guess what I'm asking "is it a natual trait for a stallion to be hostile toward foals"?

Funny you bring that up because i was just thinking about this today.

We have one foal this year, currently two months old and i kind of became the play buddy. As much as i enjoy being the play buddy for this foal, he needed someone else to play with besides me since his dam isn't very playful. I turn Streaker (our foal) out in the pasture and bring over my yearling (almost two year old) stallion, and they play and Narko tolerates him. I trust Narko together with him more then i would any of my other horses.

Also, my sr breeding stallion who did settles mares this season got a couples glances at Streaker threw the fence and didnt care much. I have never turned pressy out with streaker, but im sure they would be just dandy together. Even through the fence Pressy doesnt do the snort and blow and make a fuss, even when he had mares in his pasture and streaker and he chat through the fence.

Since all the stallions can think of is about making more and more babys, i guess its only natural for them to enjoy them right?
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, yes, stallions get along with foals, maybe cause they know if they don't there's a momma somewhere who will explain things to them!!!

Our senior breeding stallion winters with our weanlings.

I have had several different stallions & they all have gotten along with the babies. I just watch them really close when I turn them out together. My stallion stays with the mares all the time anyway, when a mare is close to due, I pull her out to have baby & put back around a month old. If he wants to chase the baby, I pull them back out for awhile & try again, usually works for me.

My stallion is awesome. He knows the mares will not tolerate anything else. Our colt was actually trying to breed our stallion. I ran out because I was so scared but my stallion did not mind at all.

Here is a strange thing and only adults should read this but the colt was actually sucking the stallions genitals :eek: . Is that normal? It was so bizzar. I called my husband because I thought I was going nuts. But it was VERY clear. Anyone else experience this??

Our one stud who gave us our only foal this year is very good with the foals.... He put up with our colt so well this year. I won't have any problems putting our foals back with him next year!

All of our fellows are GREAT with the foals. I've even seen a couple of our guys PLAY with them. It doesn't even matter if they are their kids or not.

MA

I would not keep a stallion that was not.

Even Rabbit, who never runs with the mares, is a perfect gentleman with the foals, in fact he will allow them to do anything at all, bite him, pull his ears etc.

I have just bitten the bullet and turned Carlos out with the set mares and foals- he is a paragon with them- they push him out of his feed!!

I saw him yesterday flatten his ears and swish his tail at a colt and the colt just looked at him and carried on munching through the bucket!!

Poor Carlos, he is a pushover!!

We always have our stallions run with mares and babies. Right now, we have our junior stallion in with our weanling colts. They get along fine. Usually if a stallion does chase a baby, the mares will gang up him to straighten that out pronto. Most of the time the stallions totally ignore the foals, sometimes they even enjoy playing together.

Same here, my stallion was excellent with the foals weather they were his or not. He also stayed with all the mares and foals 24/7.

Our stallion too was a perfect gentleman with his foals. After our foals were born we kept the mare and her foal in the stall for a few days and depending on the weather let them out in their own little pasture for a while before we introduce them back into the herd. The herd always gets so excited to see the new foal when we put the new foal and mare out and the mare so proud of her foal. I swear our stallion knew it was his foal, he enjoyed seeing them for the first time as much as the mares did if not more. He would strut his stuff and look so proud, it always gave me goose bumps. He was wonderful with his kids and like some have said tolerated a lot, he always really enjoy them!

I think the stallions realize they're babies. Even after I was done breeding and took my stallion out of the mare/foal group, the foals will "visit" Heir when he's in the round pen. I haven't replaced my "big horse" round pen yet and the foals can walk right under the lower bar......so they go visit "dad". I was nervous at first without the mares there to run interferance.....but he's fine with them.

Same here I can turn my stallions out with any of my foals and all is well. I did want to caution though to take it on a case by case basis when bringing in new stallions. What they may have done on their previous farm may not be what you get so just ease into this slow. Some stallions while at the farm they are use to see these same mares/foals everyday and know who is who but then when sold and put into a new situation may act different. Don't just go with the previous owner saying "oh he gets along with everybody" because that can be 100% true for them but you may get a totally different reaction. Said stallion may not get along with your foals that are not out of him or in a group he is use too.

Latest posts

Back