stallions Investing??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand why mini people don't breed to stallions they don't own :p Everyone has to own their own herd stallion. Why is it so rare to ship to a local stud?
I think there are many reasons for it. Some reasons may be that mini stallions are much easier to own and manage than full size stallions, there are many mini people who don't recognize quality and are happy with whatever they have (especially if he's a cool color), and there are many others who selected mares specifically to go with their nice stallions and are happy with the results they're getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a similar situation as with dogs. There has been times I brought my girls to a stud (dog) and times I have used my own boys. timing is one reason why some would stay with their own stuff, where they are located and money depending on the fee might not be right timing to send one out. In my case..... I do own two stallions one is my first boy who is not reg so want to place him they other is an appy. He has gotten taller then I was told he was going to be and I feel to big to breed to some of my mares and don't want to breed him to some as I don't think it would be a good match with colors. Hes not a bad boy and think he has things to offer but when I look at doing a breeding wheter it be dogs or horses I want to do the best breeding I can at the given time I have. I have been pleased with what my (dog studs) have given me and the one baby out of my appy boy who was bred to a black mare the little filly looks very nice refined if I think I know what that means very nice straight legs good teeth very pretty girl so I dont' think he did bad with this mare but would I want to breed him to some of the others.. No because hes alot bigger then they are and don't know if that could pose a problem. I think they could have a nice conformation foal guessing looking at both mare and stallion but to put a few cap appy with a palomino.... not sure if that would result it some weird colored foal. With Akitas thats the breed I show/breed. we always make sure conformation is first. Are my two males I own big top winners no as I just don't have the money to compete at that level and would have to play the politics and higher a handler... to much $$ and I don't find the ethics in that sorry. I like my dogs to win on their own merits and I have produced some very outstanding pups that if I did want to play the game and price they could be top winners I know. So to say I am a small breeder wanting to produce the best I can and have the reputation behind my dogs that they do sell all over the world. With the horses I wanted to get into them not sure if I want to show as I hear its the same. Politics can play a big roll in it and I dont think I want to go there but I think I would like to have a stud thats nice enough should Iwant to show I could. I wanted a boy that has the quality behind him I have looked at many horses on line and many that people mentioned they had for sale. Some that will work with me some no, some more money then I can afford for a stay at home mom
default_smile.png
Wish I could but can't be making payment for years. So I have also been looking at young colts. Didnt really want to do that as I would like to know what I had instead of being blind slided with how tall he ended up and waiting to breed him to my girls when hes of breeding age. As I am new with horses Listening, learning and watching I dont think its that much different them my dog world. Is it cheaper for me to not have my own stud dog that basically I will only use.....Yes (same with a horse) Is it easier not having one as I don't have to worry about my two stud dogs fighting as they too have to be kept appart...... YES but at times when I can't travel 10-20 hours away with no trailer, might not have the time to go at the time they come in sometimes even though its another mouth to feed, another place to keep them apart so there is harmony... its just more convient. Hope that makes sense. Don't mean to be rattling on just want those to know where I am coming from and that I am not crazy not knowing what I am doing as I do have an idea with the two boys I have
default_smile.png
So am trying to do my homework on who might fit into our home as i hope this will be a long time situation that can help build up my herd. which brings me to another point on why I have to male akitas...... I dont want to back myself into a corner with having everyone related either so I do have two boys and guessing with stallions it probably should be the same... thats why I am guessing people have two
default_smile.png

I don't understand why mini people don't breed to stallions they don't own :p Everyone has to own their own herd stallion. Why is it so rare to ship to a local stud?

I've done a lot of outside breeding, but many times it just isn't worth the expense and hassle. Transport costs (whether hired out or done ourselves), plus the breed fees and mare care costs and extra vet costs (getting the mares screened etc) really add up. I've spent from $4500 to $7500 for my stallions (and owned a share in more expensive stallions too) and though that is pricey, I can breed as many mares as I please to them year after year, rather than spending $300 to $700 breed fee per mare plus transport and mare care, which can easily add up to $1000 or even more per mare. And I've generally been happier with my home-bred foals than I have been with those I've gotten outside breeds on, with only a couple of exceptions.

Edited to add, it isn't as if I'm flooding the market with foals by my stallions though; for the last several years one of my stallions has gotten just one mare a year because we've only been breeding for 6 to 7 foals per year. That one is going out on lease this year, poor boy, and it isn't because he doesn't throw really nice foals because he does. We just aren't breeding enough right now. Our now-five-year-old stallion got a couple of mares for the first time ever last year and is currently in driving training. Our senior stallion has gotten the majority of the mares for the last couple of years and even then he only is breeding three or four a year at most. But it's still worth it to me to own my own stallions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this has been touched on or not, but the health factor of outside farms is a HUGE factor also. I would be a nervous wreck sending a mare out, beyond my control and hoping things go well, that she would be returned to me injury free and healthy. That goes for the opposite end of the spectrum too, breeding an outside mare to my stallion,..... What has she been exposed to, will she easily settle and will I end up with a small herd of ill horses, will my horse get injured?

You can do your homework, but that only goes so far, even if you think the facility is highly reccommended. The more there is horse traffic on and off the farm the higher the risks(ex.... leave the farms for shows, training, equine events or accept outside horses for breedings).

when I first started in minis there was only one stallion standing at public stud in the whole country so thats why I bought my own stallion , even now years later I can only think of 4 stallions standing in Ireland , there may be areas in the US where stallions are scarce too ,

I would try waiting and buying a stallion at an auction, such as the recent Olympian Ranch sale or this weekends' Reece Family Celebration sale, this saturday I believe, live auction on the internet.

You can really get a ridiculous steal of a deal at auctions. I'd phone ahead if possible if you had any particular questions about the stallion, also, search him on AMHA studbook online to see his reg'd get.

Now this is personal opinion.. but your first stallion should be a 'tried n' true', proven with nice foals you can see on the ground. I just find its too risky to spend big bucks on a yearling or 2 y/o 'stud colt'... Id try to find something with a 'big name' or if you can, a stallion who can 'strut his stuff' in the ring so you can make him famous!!

Prices between $1000-7,000 however at Auctions they are known to be lower. I found a nice Buckeroo son the other day for 3500. Just have to look
default_rolleyes.gif

Goodluck!!

Latest posts

Back