Stallion question....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While there is the right thing to do..

bottom line is horses are like used cars sold AS IS unless there is a contract that covers specific things and personally a verbal contract does not include I want to use him for breeding.

I would never by a senior stallion without a vet check and sperm count done prior if this was a high dollar horse

it is to hard to warranty a horse for something unless specified and agreed to as once the horse leaves the sellers hands everything is out of there control. I know what I would do for my clients but again purchasing a horse is always a risky buisness and there are certain things that buyers have to be responsible for and that I have learned as have others - doesnt mean that all sellers are dishonest just means that this is the horse business and really anything can happen.

Last edited:
Unfortunately those of us that give our word as a contract have had to resort to putting it in writing because of those that don't...
default_wacko.png
: .... If there was no contract then the buyer is at the mercy of the seller. Only way out would be if there were witnesses or another person that had been told that he had dropped. If the seller has integrity then they would refund the money unless it is in writing that if it did not work out then a trade would be made......................... Even if the seller did not know any better they should still refund the money - they would want theirs back if it happened to them.

I may have missed this somewhere, but was there a contract? We always have a written contract covering suitability for breeding such as testicals being descended etc.

Very hereditary too. That is such a shame. Hope they work it all out!

bummer this happened to your friend but a good lesson learned sadly.

Personally Id write it off as a HARD lessoned learned. I NEVER EVER EVER buy a horse (stallion) without personally checking for 2

On the other hand I had a Full size horse missing 1 testicle, We had him scheduled for surgery $1.200 the vet cancelled do to an emergency, the horse then left as a stallion for 1 year to train in the mountains for riding he came home just before his 5th Birthday I had to check just incase and sadly still a missing testicle,

2 months after his 5th birthday I decided it was probably time to have that surgery done and I thought what the heck lets check again just incase, lol

Well Im pleased to say that horse gave me for HI SBirthday 2 fully dropped testicles. He went on to produce 5 offspring 1 filly and 4 FULLY INTAKE colts. so I totally disagree with the hereditary thing as well, Many vets are prooving that to NOT be the case.

I also had a mini who was missing one at almost 5 he dropped, fathered a colt fully intact. It was an accidental breeding but Thank fully all came out ok,

so MAYBEEEEEEEEEEE all will be ok, :bgrin

bummer this happened to your friend but a good lesson learned sadly.

Personally Id write it off as a HARD lessoned learned. I NEVER EVER EVER buy a horse (stallion) without personally checking for 2

On the other hand I had a Full size horse missing 1 testicle, We had him scheduled for surgery $1.200 the vet cancelled do to an emergency, the horse then left as a stallion for 1 year to train in the mountains for riding he came home just before his 5th Birthday I had to check just incase and sadly still a missing testicle,

2 months after his 5th birthday I decided it was probably time to have that surgery done and I thought what the heck lets check again just incase, lol

Well Im pleased to say that horse gave me for HI SBirthday 2 fully dropped testicles. He went on to produce 5 offspring 1 filly and 4 FULLY INTAKE colts. so I totally disagree with the hereditary thing as well, Many vets are prooving that to NOT be the case.

I also had a mini who was missing one at almost 5 he dropped, fathered a colt fully intact.

so MAYBEEEEEEEEEEE all will be ok, :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Cryptorchidness can be hereditary, or can not, depending on WHY. That's why vets recommend treating every crypt like its hereditary, even though it may not be.

Latest posts

Back