stallion contract ideas needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinRTrueJoy

Reaction score
Hello all, I need ideas for stallion contracts. I have a friend who wants to use my stallion to breed to her mares. He would go to her farm for the season. How much do I ask? Who is responsible if my stallion gets hurt? What happens if her mare gets hurt? Live foal garentees? He is proven, blue eyed,black pinto ,homozygous for tobiano and produces blue eyes. He has only been shown as a yearling, not since, but he is a great driving horse. His foals have been beautiful. He is very correct, perfect bite, super sweet and mannerly. Advise please? Thanks!

I would require them get insurance for him in case of injury, have them pay for all hoof, dewormer, and other vet costs since he will be at their place. Absolutely no guarantees since he will be there. I would do a lease-they would be responsible for everything then, which is necessary since you will have no control over what happens.

Y'ep, a lease spelling out the start date, the end date, insurance must be carried, including loss of use as a stallion due to injury or illness, how many mares will be covered/included on the stud report, she is reposnable for all vet fees while he is in her care and will be responsible for all fees/deductibles incurred if he should become sick or injured.

There is much more involved, but it has been something that never appealed to me, too many what if's,too many lines that can be blurred, ESP. In a friendship.

Ditto what Amanda said. They should pay for everything. His transportation, coggins, health cert, feed, wormer, (you should do all shots before he leaves to help protect him), medical care, and insurance on him - making sure you are the beneficiary.

Things to think about... If you offer LFG, does that mean your stallion has to travel back next year and the year after, etc? Specically spell out the medical care because not everyone thinks the same way when it comes to "complete" care. What will they feed him? Will he be kept (housed) in a manner you are comfortable with? How often should his feet be done? How do you guarantee their farrier knows what he/she is doing and won't ruin your horse's feet? What if a mare kicks him and he becomes sterile? Is the insurance money worth no longer having a producing stallion? What if he brings an STD back to your farm? Will you require all their mares be pre-tested? What if something happens at that farm that impacts him psychologically and when he returns, he's not the same breeder he was before? What if their mares are not good producers? Do you want your stallion bred to inferior mares? Will you get to select which mares he's bred to? Will you let them stand him to mares they don't own? If so, how gets that money?

So much to think about. I speak from personal experience... It's not worth it. You can do all your homework, think he will be fine, believe it's ok because you're sending him to a "friend." In the end, you may no longer be friends.

Ask yourself why you should do it? What will you get from it? Do you need a break from having a stallion for a year? Do you need the money? Do they have exceptional mares so maybe it will be a good thing for your boy? Aside from those few things, I can't imagine what it does for you.

Best of luck to you in your decision.

I wish there was a like button on here. Couldn't have said it better Parma.

Latest posts

Back