Stallion colour testing - help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silverstar

Reaction score
I am due to send my Stallions hair sample off to confirm his parentage but was wondering whether there is anything else i.e. colour i should be testing for??

He is a silver black, dam was a bay and sire a silver dun ( Heterozygous i think ) . I presume he would be heterozygous for silver as his mum isnt?? Sorry if this sounds silly but ive no idea on colours!! Is there anything i should be testing him for for future foals??

Is it possible his silver dun sire also carried cream? If so, I'd have him tested for cream as well. A silver can carry cream and may look like an "ordinary" silver (like a smokey black may visually appear "plain" black).

I think what you say on the silver is correct given only one of his parents carries silver.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he were mine I would send in to that new genetics lab and have everything done at once! That way you don't have to guess and won't miss anything either. http://www.dnadiagnostics.com/animal_genetics.html
default_aktion033.gif

Silverstar if you are doing parentage qualification for the AMHA registry you will need to do it at UC Davis through the AMHA office.

You may need to send the additional hair to another lab for color or pattern testing.

Silverstar if you are doing parentage qualification for the AMHA registry you will need to do it at UC Davis through the AMHA office.
You may need to send the additional hair to another lab for color or pattern testing.
Hiya, sorry its not for the AMHA, its for the BMHS in England
default_smile.png

Same difference, the lab will only test for parentage qualification.

If you want a test for colour etc you have to pay extra and send extra, separate samples, they will not test your PQ sample for colour.

Same difference, the lab will only test for parentage qualification.If you want a test for colour etc you have to pay extra and send extra, separate samples, they will not test your PQ sample for colour.

Sorry, i appreciate they wont do the same sample and it would cost more, but just thought i could send them all off together if that makes sense??

Latest posts

Back