Stallion Age for Breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotsofspots

Reaction score
...but I can't for the life of me find it! At what age can a stallion start breeding mares? I have not found it in the AMHA rulebook either but I am sure it is there (duh). I know th is has been discussed on the forum before, but I can't find the thread. I have a 17-month old colt who is definitely ready to breed but if the foals would not be eligible, I don't want to use him for breeding. Can anyone steer me in the right direction of where to look to get my answer?

Thanks!

Barbara

Because a 17 month colt "looks" physically ready to breed, and tries to "act" like a stallion, does not mean that he is really ready.

The registries I believe (and someone will correct me if I am wrong) will not register foals who are born before the sire reaches his third year. I believe it's the same for a filly???

Breeding such a young mentally and physically immature colt can cause you problems later for sure.

Two year olds are bred sometimes but are not always capable of settling mares, on the other hand, there are known cases of yearlings settling mares or young fillies if they are left too long with the heard and someone assumes they can't breed.

The individual does make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response, Anne. I suppose I should have made myself a bit more clear. I do not intend to use this colt for breeding deliberately. He is pastured with an older mare for companionship and he may breed her--that is the only reason I was asking. I have been breeding for a while so I am familiar with the problems that can be associated with breeding a youngster. I did have a colt from this same line that was sold to a gentleman several years ago, and this particular colt did, in fact, breed a mare and got her in foal, and he was only 14 months at the time. I just wanted to be prepared should my young colt actually breed my older mare. The mare shows strong heats, but I do not turn them out together when she is in heat. This colt is very well behaved and is learning some manners from my mare
default_smile.png

Thanks again for your response.

Hmm, well, I am not at all sure I would ever have a young colt out with any mare unless I was intending for him to breed her....that is what happens, you see, and a 17 month, although not mentally ready for this, will still try.

A gelding would be a much better bet, and would really teach him a few manners.

The mare is only going to teach him he can do anything that he likes, including biting, kicking and harassing her, for as long as she is in season.

I do use two year olds, but only in hand, if I am intending to breed them loose I still do the first year in hand, that way I can instill a bit of respect and manners, which you cannot rely on a more to be able to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
For AMHA a yearling can breed a mare or filly and the foals can be registered no age rule for breeding..but l believe in the AMHR they need to actually be 3 years old before foals can be registered..

l bred my fave guy his first time when he was 21 months old he did his job and we got a foal the next year...he's 4 now and it didn't affect him in that department being used that young.
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

I took this out of the AMHR rule book. Hope this helps/.

2. No Shetland or Miniature Horse foal may be

registered out of a sire or dam unless BOTH have

reached their third birthday (birthday as of January

1) during the foaling year.

I just watched a 11 month old colt breed his mother. It happens all the time. If the colt is sexually mature, which happens around 10 months, he can and will get mares pregnant, including his mother or fillies. A gelding is a far better choice. If you aren't going to breed him, geld him then let the mare teach him.

Latest posts

Back