Stall mats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definately put bedding on top
default_smile.png
I actually use the same amount as I would on dirt. You can skimp and use less, but the urine will start to splash if you skimp, and the smell will actually be a little worse since the urine can't escape quite as easily as it can in dirt. If you don't put down shavings you'll make puddles, and those mats can be pretty slippery when wet. I've been at barns where they used just a few pounds of shavings in a 14x10 stall because shavings were a lot of labor to store for the winter, and I wouldn't ever allow one of my horses to live like those poor boarders did. Yes, it was adaquate, but not comfortable and it STUNK in there. And the poor geldings would move three or four times before finishing urinating because it splashed so much.
I couldnt agree more. I have some stalls with mats and some without and it really depends on the horse as to which i like better but I find well first my stalls with mats.. have turn outs as well so they dont go in there but when they are locked in the stalls I use 2 times the bedding I do in the dirt floor barn and I have to often wash it with bleach and water daily to get rid of the smell

So I do like them for some horses but they for me are more work and more bedding

I love my stall mats! They are made like puzzle pieces and fit together really well, in fact I had to hammer them together! They are not nearly as heavy as most and shipping was a flat $49. (a real bargain) And the best thing is that I can move them around all by myself! They are made by a company called Flex Mats Products. You can go to their web cite and see them or call them at (630) 904-8077. I got enough for one 10 x 10 stall for $324.00 They were actually a tad larger than my stall by a couple of inches so i put the outside ones on the table saw and lopped off the extra so they are now a perfect fit. My stall has a conrete floor that slope gently to the middle where I have a drain. I have cut several holes in the middle of the center mat with a large drill bit so that if there is any run-off it will go down the drain. I cover my mats with a thick layer of wood chips. My boys are firmly convinced the stall is their bathroom and not the bedroom and I simply cannot convince them otherwise! LOL They will actually stop eating outside, go into the stall and pee and then return outside to finish their meal. Having said that, I now only leave the door open during cold or wet weather.

Latest posts

Back